Removing Drink Rings from Furniture

How do you get a cup ring off a table? The table is light oak and it has a coffee cup stain on it.

Marlene from Elma, Washington

Answers:

Removing Drink Rings from Furniture

I am very cynical about "fixes" I read online, but out of desperation due to white heat spots on our beautiful handmade table from Thanksgiving dinner, I searched for a "cure." I tried the steam iron, somewhat hesitantly at first, and it worked in less than a minute! I used a white cotton dish towel - folded, set the iron on medium steam and at 6 out of 8 for heat, and it really worked. Thank you, thank you, thank you. A little lemon oil afterward and my table is beautiful again. I am a believer! (11/30/2008)

By Ellen

Removing Drink Rings from Furniture

We are in temporary housing with rental furniture and got a large (12" diameter) steam spot on our dining table a month or so ago. I was sure I was going to end up owning this table after paying for damages, but lo and behold: the "Dave" method with an iron worked perfectly! I used one of my husband's clean cotton handkerchiefs folded in half and high dry heat and just "ironed" the spot back and forth (the handkerchief moved with the iron with consistent pressure), and with patience the spot was gone with no marks from the iron - in less than 5 minutes! Thanks and hope this helps. (12/11/2008)

By Sherri

Removing Drink Rings from Furniture

The peanut butter worked great! (12/23/2008)

By Bonnie

Removing Drink Rings from Furniture

(Submitted by email)

Try using mayonnaise, it works great. Rub it in lightly, then it has to sit on the stain for a few hours.

Matt (01/06/2009)

By Sally_Admin

Removing Drink Rings from Furniture

That dry iron and tea towel technique really works. Thanks, Dave! I may even start looking for antique items that have been marked way down because of water marks, heh heh. :) I've also noted your "easy does it" caveat, Two Ens. Thanks! (02/11/2009)

By Joan

Removing Drink Rings from Furniture

P.S. Thanks to Eric in Massachusetts for your caveat, too. (Fan O' Dave. "He never woke up"? =:O ) (02/11/2009)

By Joan

Removing Drink Rings from Furniture

I have just sold a beautiful oak coffee table on ebay for a handsome price, while cleaning it ready for the buyer to collect I noticed a cup ring. The more I polished it the more it glared at me. So I logged on to here to see how to get rid of it, having been to 3 different shops to buy a product that no-one sold. So I thought, let's try the iron thing it seems to be popular. And yes, it worked in less than a minute. Thank god for Dave. (02/14/2009)

By Helene D.

Removing Drink Rings from Furniture

Thank you so much, Dave. Your iron and towel method just saved my life. My wife has been haunting me on the mug ring I had accidentally caused on our teak coffee table. Best solutions are the simplest! (08/23/2009)

By slong8811

Coffee on a Table
Removing Drink Rings from Furniture
Furniture polish being sprayed on wood furniture.
Removing Furniture Polish Build Up from Wood Furniture
Antique Wood Furniture with Sticky Film
Cleaning Wood Furniture With a Sticky Film
red putty egg
Removing Silly Putty from Upholstered Furniture
Hand holding a smoking cigarette.
Cleaning Nicotine from Wood Furniture
🎄