Removing Drink Rings from Furniture

Category Furniture
Drink glasses or cups can leave marks on your furniture. This is a guide about removing drink rings from furniture.

Can anyone give advice on how to remove the ghost-like white hazy marks glasses with cold drinks, or perhaps a mildly hot pan leave on solid wood furniture like the dining table? How does one take the white hazy circular mark off the nice wood table?

Cheryle from Longview, Texas

Answers:

Iron and a Cloth

Keep it simple, quick and clean... It may sound counter-intuitive but, just use a hot iron on dry heat and a dishtowel. Place a soft cotton dishtowel over the area of the tabletop containing the heat ring(s) and apply the iron to the towel surface, moving the iron over the affected area. With sufficient heat, in about 20-30 seconds, the rings will disappear like magic! Gets rid of the accidental grey coffee mug rings from my cherry dining table (that even form through the tablecloth) every time!

By Dave

Iron and a Cloth

Several plates of very hot food were placed on my antique cherry dining table and I was horrified to see huge white hot spots all over the table. I wanted to cry!

I tried the mayo and no luck there. I was a little more than nervous to try the hot iron and cotton towel, but I felt I had nothing to loose. After working very slowly and carefully, there is not a mark on this beautiful table. Thank you is all I can say.

By Joan

Iron and a Cloth

Dave - Thank You! Your magic solution was the illusive solution I had been waiting for. Many years ago, someone told me of the iron and dishtowel formula, I lost the notes somewhere between Nebraska and Texas. I've used this technique on a mahogany piano bench, and my Grandmother's walnut dining room table. Yessiree, works like a champ! Thank you to all of you great people for the various solutions to tackling the dreaded white spot.

By Cheryle Zahm

Iron and a Cloth

I tried the mayo for 4 hours, it didn't work, but the heated iron on a cotton cloth worked great. It slowly disappeared, but it is gone now. Thanks for your feedbacks. I am so happy again i polished my table and smiled.

By Tara Roberts

Iron and a Cloth

Set my tea down, on the place-mat mind you, and later found the worst white spot I'd ever seen. Not just a ring, a big ghastly blob. My husband is a fine art carpenter and I think he can hear the wood cry out -- he hates it when the furniture gets damaged. He happened to be napping on the couch five feet away so quick onto Google, found this site through a search, threw caution to the wind and used the iron and cloth method and hey PRESTO! The perfect crime, he never woke up.

By Fan O' Dave

Iron and a Cloth

The iron method worked great once I got my nerve up. With a thicker dish towel and wool setting for heat on the iron, it did not do much. With a thin towel and turned up to cotton, the marks disappeared in about 15-20 seconds.

By Bob

Iron and a Cloth

Dave. You're a genius! It worked on my rosewood table. Yes, use a thin dish towel on cotton setting, apply for about 5-10 seconds and check. Then apply a little longer if needed and the "stain" is gone!

By Dalec

Iron and a Cloth

My girlfriend's very old antique table had 3 stain problems: 2 watermarks and 1 heat mark from a pizza box. Using Dave's hot iron and cloth method, we were able to remove these stains completely without any discoloration to the wood. One note of caution: I would recommend starting out at low heat for a short period of time and then progressively trying hotter heat/more time until the stain starts to be removed. If you use too hot of heat you can leave some towel residue on your table top.

By Eric in Massachusetts

Warning: Iron and a Cloth

Oops. You can go too far with the dish towel and hot iron method. I succeeded in causing the finish to blister and now have another problem to solve. Next time, I'd suggest starting with 15 seconds of heat, letting the wood cool, then trying again with 20 seconds of heat.

By Two Ens

Iron and a Cloth

The tea-towel + hot iron tip is brilliant. Thanks for sharing it! I've just removed a "ghost" cup stain caused by my daughter from a mahogany coffee table. It took a couple of attempts and a dollop of barbour wax after et viola! Gone. Completely. I could not believe it. Thank you again!

By L.J.

Iron and a Cloth

Dave, go for the Nobel prize mate, you deserve it. I have a Jarrah table that has had a slow accumulation of white rings building up for the last 15 years. As it was more white than polish, I was about to tackle it with sandpaper and had the French Polishers number at ready when I decided to have a quick look on the internet and found your hint. Now its just like a bought one!

By Felice

Iron and a Cloth

I have just tried the iron and tea towel method on a Bureau I am selling and it worked.

By Sandra

Iron and a Cloth

Dave, you are the best. I have a high gloss finished antique table and someone had put a hot teapot on it. I removed the stain with the iron and the cloth! Thank you so much!

By pinkcatandmouse

Mayo

I have used regular mayo with success. Sometimes you have to use a little elbow grease too!

By KarinVW

Mayo

Leave mayo on it over night, it will take it out for sure.

By Mary

Cigarette Ashes and Spit

People used to use cigarette ashes and spit.

By Shirley

Baking Soda and Toothpaste

I have looked at many sites concerning the removal of white rings. I accidentally set a paper plate full of hot bread (straight from the oven) on an expensive hutch table on Thanksgiving day. I have been sick for a week now. I have tried the mayo trick 3 times with no luck. I have tried to oil the spot with no luck. I ran across a site that said to use equal amounts of regular non gel toothpaste and baking soda. Make a paste and rub gently in a circular motion. Took 5 minutes and with a little lemon oil it looks perfect. Just thought you would want to know.

By Kyle

Mayo

By KarinVW

Mayo Worked

Tried the toothpaste trick with minor success. Tried leaving mayo on for an hour, and now... good as new.

By Tracey

Baking Soda and Toothpaste

I put hot muffins on a napkin on a wooden table. Got the dreaded white spot! The toothpaste and baking soda worked for me as well. Mixed a small amount of non-gel toothpaste with an equal amount of baking soda as Kyle suggested. Rubbed it lightly in a circular motion with my finger. Got the spot out in a minute. Gave it a hit of wood cleaner, then waxed Looks like it never happened!

By JLT

Toothpaste

Using an old sock with tooth paste will work to remove the white spots or rings from wet glasses. If the spots are small or fairly small, you can use a piece of raw walnut to replace the finish. Just rub the raw nut on the spot and the natural walnut oil will 'finish' the spot. Small dents and scratches can be removed by wetting a piece of brown shopping bag the same size as the scratch or dent and laying it on top, then pressing the wet paper with a hot iron. Then use the raw walnut to fill in the missing finish.

By Donna

Salt and Olive Oil

To remove heat rings from furniture, make a paste of salt and olive oil. Apply to the ring and allow to stand for at least an hour.

By Sarah

White furniture can be marred by rubber feet on lamps, chemicals in cleaners, and more, leaving unsightly and hard to remove brown rings. This is a guide about removing brown rings on white furniture.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

White marks appear on my timber dining table when cold drinks leave wet marks on the table. How can I remove them?

By carole from Vic

Answers

Best Answer

My mother wiped down my kitchen table and then set a plastic bag down on the still wet table. The toothpaste and baking soda took the mark right out and any other minor scratches. Thanks

Best Answer

I have yet to try the steam iron/cotton towel trick but if you find a ring right away cover the area with uncooked rice (or barley if you're out of rice like I was) let it sit for a few minutes and it will soak up the moisture like magic.

My oak dresser has a ring where the lamp sat. How do I remove it?

By Kim

Answers:

Removing Drink Rings from Furniture

I just used the iron over the folded handkerchief, and it worked like magic. It took about 5 minutes of circular rubbing, but a very nasty white stain just slowly disappeared. Thanks so much. I was ready to throw out a $300 coffee table! Alan (12/27/2009)

By Alan

How do you get a cup ring off a table? The table is light oak and it has a coffee cup stain on it.

Marlene from Elma, Washington

Answers:

Removing Drink Rings from Furniture

I am very cynical about "fixes" I read online, but out of desperation due to white heat spots on our beautiful handmade table from Thanksgiving dinner, I searched for a "cure." I tried the steam iron, somewhat hesitantly at first, and it worked in less than a minute! I used a white cotton dish towel - folded, set the iron on medium steam and at 6 out of 8 for heat, and it really worked. Thank you, thank you, thank you. A little lemon oil afterward and my table is beautiful again. I am a believer! (11/30/2008)

By Ellen

Removing Drink Rings from Furniture

We are in temporary housing with rental furniture and got a large (12" diameter) steam spot on our dining table a month or so ago. I was sure I was going to end up owning this table after paying for damages, but lo and behold: the "Dave" method with an iron worked perfectly! I used one of my husband's clean cotton handkerchiefs folded in half and high dry heat and just "ironed" the spot back and forth (the handkerchief moved with the iron with consistent pressure), and with patience the spot was gone with no marks from the iron - in less than 5 minutes! Thanks and hope this helps. (12/11/2008)

By Sherri

Removing Drink Rings from Furniture

The peanut butter worked great! (12/23/2008)

By Bonnie

Removing Drink Rings from Furniture

(Submitted by email)

Try using mayonnaise, it works great. Rub it in lightly, then it has to sit on the stain for a few hours.

Matt (01/06/2009)

By Sally

Removing Drink Rings from Furniture

That dry iron and tea towel technique really works. Thanks, Dave! I may even start looking for antique items that have been marked way down because of water marks, heh heh. :) I've also noted your "easy does it" caveat, Two Ens. Thanks! (02/11/2009)

By Joan

Removing Drink Rings from Furniture

P.S. Thanks to Eric in Massachusetts for your caveat, too. (Fan O' Dave. "He never woke up"? =:O ) (02/11/2009)

By Joan

Removing Drink Rings from Furniture

I have just sold a beautiful oak coffee table on ebay for a handsome price, while cleaning it ready for the buyer to collect I noticed a cup ring. The more I polished it the more it glared at me. So I logged on to here to see how to get rid of it, having been to 3 different shops to buy a product that no-one sold. So I thought, let's try the iron thing it seems to be popular. And yes, it worked in less than a minute. Thank god for Dave. (02/14/2009)

By Helene D.

Removing Drink Rings from Furniture

Thank you so much, Dave. Your iron and towel method just saved my life. My wife has been haunting me on the mug ring I had accidentally caused on our teak coffee table. Best solutions are the simplest! (08/23/2009)

By Soon Ong

We have a dark wooden table with a lacquer on the top and there are many white ring marks from mugs and water glasses. We don't know how to remove them. We have had quotes from professionals but they want between 2-3,000 pounds! Does anyone know how this can be done cheaply?

Karen from London, UK

Answers:

Removing Drink Rings from Furniture

Try rubbing the area with toothpaste! (11/01/2008)

By maggie

Removing Drink Rings from Furniture

Check out my article on removing white rings: http://raidz.net/blog/how-remove-white-rings-and-water-spots-your-furniture (11/03/2008)

By Andrew

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.