Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Removing Duct Tape From a Car

Duct tape is useful for many things, but not always easy to remove all traces. This guide is about removing duct tape residue on a car.

February 10, 2014 Flag

I've recently experienced the same problem. I used a little bit of gasoline and it came right off, worked great!

By x0breezibabix0

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Gasoline is definitely the answer. Nail polish and alcohol did not work for me.

I used tape to cover a broken car window. Now that the window has been repaired, tape residue is on the hood and trunk of the car. I don't want to ruin the paint, but want to remove the tape residue. Help.

QueenK from Escondido

Answer Was this helpful? 1

If the other stuff doesn't work, I'd try cigarette lighter fluid. It's actually pure naphta, the original dry cleaning fluid!. It works on cloth too. Obviously, be carefull because it is very flammable.

Here are the things I tried that you guys suggested for the duct tape removal, baby oil, lighter fluid and wd 40 - no luck! I didn't try the vegetable oil or peanut butter.

Here is your solution:

Nail Polish Remover

Easy, hardly any elbow grease was used. Works Beautifully, don't bother with anything else. Trust me!

DONT DO THAT!!!! Acetone will dissolve the paint!

Acetone works!

Try using lighter fluid on a soft tag. Then use a wet sponge to remove lighter fluid.

How to I remove tape residue from my car fender?

Lighter fluid does work very well.

Thank you!! The nail polish remover worked great on the car paint and the rubber around the car door window , but on the metal piece that borders the window, be careful, it did take off some paint, but it's better than having the residue for me anyway

Does anyone know how to remove duct tape from the outside of a car? It is on the paint and around the back windshield. I am currently using Orange Blast, an auto degreaser. It is working, but very slowly. Any faster suggestions that would save the paint on my car would be great.

Roccoli

Have you tried a hairdryer?...You may have tape residue left, but you can remove it with mineral spirits, lighter fluid, Goop or turpentine.

I asked my DH, who works on cars. He said to get adhesive cleaner at Home Depot or an auto parts store.

Try some shortening, let sit for 15 minutes. Wipe off,

then clean as usual!! It will soften the glue in the duct tape= My Hubby got burned with Hot Tar on a roof job- & it worked Great on removing the tar after it had cooled on Him!! Try a second time, if needed!

WD-40 I have never had a problem with it affecting paint....can also be sprayed on places where bugs stick after washing the car......helps remove bugs for that matter.....visit the WD-40 website.. http://www.wd40.com/

...it has endless uses.....great product......

I had the same problem so I did a search and found this thread. I used WD-40 and it worked great, even on the weather stripping! Thanks!

Have not tried it yet, but another blog said use tongs and boiling water then rub it off.

I have not tried this yet, but another source said to use boining water with tongs and then rub it off after it has softened.

I had packing tape residue on my fender. I tried using rubbing alcohol on a cotton ball. I saturated the ball and really rubbed. It took a while but it did dissolve it with NO damage to the car's paint. Good luck.

How do you remove residue from duct tape on a car?

By Shirley from Oologah, OK

Saturate with either WD-40 or Mineral Oil and let it remain on for about an hour; you should be able to clean it off with a soft terry cloth or microfiber towel.

I looked for weeks at tape/adhesive residue on a window on my car that was a large sticker of the car's info. I tried everything then bought a small container of goo gone. I was nervous as the windows had factory tint. I put the goo gone on a soft cloth saturating a place on the rag. Next I rubbed about an inch and wow, it was gone. I proceded to rub small areas and resaturating a different / clean area of the rag and had this removed in 2-3 minutes. I did not harm the factory tint, I cleaned with foam glass cleaner and could not see the big sqare of adhesive anymore. I was elated with the magic of goo gone.

In my case, I had clear packing tape residue stuck on the side of my Mercedes, so I didn't want to use anything abrasive whatsoever that would scratch the finish. I looked around and found I had the following options. WD 40, Olive Oil, Carnauba wax. The WD40 did not work for me. What did work was to repeatedly soak the area in olive oil, then rub aggressively with a microfiber cloth and then I put carnauba wax on top of it which finished the job. The oil and wax slowly dissolved the tape glue. It took repeated rubbing over the area. In my case it took 45 min. but it got all the tape residue off and the finish was fine.

I used a hand held hair dryer tape came off

May 27, 2013 Flag

I need to temporarily use duct tape to reattach my side mirror to it's frame. Will this tape damage my car paint?

By Karin

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Cleaning AutoMarch 11, 2013
Duct Tape
Making Duct Tape Clothes
Duct Tape
Removing Duct Tape From Carpet
Making a Duct Tape Bow
Making a Duct Tape Bow
duct tape flip flops
Making Duct Tape Flip Flops
👒
🐰
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site.
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 27, 2017 at 1:46:21 PM on 10.0.1.145 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.