Removing Duct Tape From a Car

Duct tape is useful for many things, but not always easy to remove all traces. This guide is about removing duct tape residue on a car.

February 10, 2014 Flag

I've recently experienced the same problem. I used a little bit of gasoline and it came right off, worked great!

By x0breezibabix0

Gasoline is definitely the answer. Nail polish and alcohol did not work for me.

Petrol -First class remedy for this problem.

July 3, 2006 Flag

I used tape to cover a broken car window. Now that the window has been repaired, tape residue is on the hood and trunk of the car. I don't want to ruin the paint, but want to remove the tape residue. Help.

QueenK from Escondido

DONT DO THAT!!!! Acetone will dissolve the paint!

Acetone works!

Try using lighter fluid on a soft tag. Then use a wet sponge to remove lighter fluid.

How to I remove tape residue from my car fender?

September 6, 2005 Flag

Does anyone know how to remove duct tape from the outside of a car? It is on the paint and around the back windshield. I am currently using Orange Blast, an auto degreaser. It is working, but very slowly. Any faster suggestions that would save the paint on my car would be great.

Roccoli

I had the same problem so I did a search and found this thread. I used WD-40 and it worked great, even on the weather stripping! Thanks!

Have not tried it yet, but another blog said use tongs and boiling water then rub it off.

I have not tried this yet, but another source said to use boining water with tongs and then rub it off after it has softened.

I had packing tape residue on my fender. I tried using rubbing alcohol on a cotton ball. I saturated the ball and really rubbed. It took a while but it did dissolve it with NO damage to the car's paint. Good luck.

March 3, 2010 Flag

How do you remove residue from duct tape on a car?

By Shirley from Oologah, OK

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Saturate with either WD-40 or Mineral Oil and let it remain on for about an hour; you should be able to clean it off with a soft terry cloth or microfiber towel.

I looked for weeks at tape/adhesive residue on a window on my car that was a large sticker of the car's info. I tried everything then bought a small container of goo gone. I was nervous as the windows had factory tint. I put the goo gone on a soft cloth saturating a place on the rag. Next I rubbed about an inch and wow, it was gone. I proceded to rub small areas and resaturating a different / clean area of the rag and had this removed in 2-3 minutes. I did not harm the factory tint, I cleaned with foam glass cleaner and could not see the big sqare of adhesive anymore. I was elated with the magic of goo gone.

In my case, I had clear packing tape residue stuck on the side of my Mercedes, so I didn't want to use anything abrasive whatsoever that would scratch the finish. I looked around and found I had the following options. WD 40, Olive Oil, Carnauba wax. The WD40 did not work for me. What did work was to repeatedly soak the area in olive oil, then rub aggressively with a microfiber cloth and then I put carnauba wax on top of it which finished the job. The oil and wax slowly dissolved the tape glue. It took repeated rubbing over the area. In my case it took 45 min. but it got all the tape residue off and the finish was fine.

Home and Garden Cleaning AutoMarch 11, 2013
Duct Tape
Making Duct Tape Clothes
Duct Tape
Removing Duct Tape From Carpet
Making a Duct Tape Bow
Making a Duct Tape Bow
duct tape flip flops
Making Duct Tape Flip Flops
🎄