Removing Duct Tape From a Car

Duct tape is useful for many things, but not always easy to remove all traces. This guide is about removing duct tape residue on a car.

Duct Tape
Filter Sort

Question: Tape Residue on My Car

I used tape to cover a broken car window. Now that the window has been repaired, tape residue is on the hood and trunk of the car. I don't want to ruin the paint, but want to remove the tape residue. Help.

QueenK from Escondido

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

Here are the things I tried that you guys suggested for the duct tape removal, baby oil, lighter fluid and wd 40 - no luck! I didn't try the vegetable oil or peanut butter.

Here is your solution:

Nail Polish Remover

Easy, hardly any elbow grease was used. Works Beautifully, don't bother with anything else. Trust me!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Duct Tape on Car

Does anyone know how to remove duct tape from the outside of a car? It is on the paint and around the back windshield. I am currently using Orange Blast, an auto degreaser. It is working, but very slowly. Any faster suggestions that would save the paint on my car would be great.

Roccoli

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By gary wilson 1 Flag

I have not tried this yet, but another source said to use boining water with tongs and then rub it off after it has softened.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Duct Tape Residue on a Car

By Shirley Butler 1

How do you remove residue from duct tape on a car?

By Shirley from Oologah, OK

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By crus 1 Flag

In my case, I had clear packing tape residue stuck on the side of my Mercedes, so I didn't want to use anything abrasive whatsoever that would scratch the finish. I looked around and found I had the following options. WD 40, Olive Oil, Carnauba wax. The WD40 did not work for me. What did work was to repeatedly soak the area in olive oil, then rub aggressively with a microfiber cloth and then I put carnauba wax on top of it which finished the job. The oil and wax slowly dissolved the tape glue. It took repeated rubbing over the area. In my case it took 45 min. but it got all the tape residue off and the finish was fine.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Use Gasoline to Remove Sticky Duct Tape

By x0breezibabix0 1

I've recently experienced the same problem. I used a little bit of gasoline and it came right off, worked great!

By x0breezibabix0

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Using Duct Tape on Auto Body

I need to temporarily use duct tape to reattach my side mirror to it's frame. Will this tape damage my car paint?

By Karin

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Home and Garden Cleaning AutoMarch 11, 2013
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Duct Tape Rose
Making a Duct Tape Rose
Duct Tape
Making Duct Tape Clothes
Duct Tape
Removing Duct Tape From Carpet
duct tape flip flops
Making Duct Tape Flip Flops
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 10:49:55 AM on 10.0.1.214 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesSolutionsQuestions
NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost AnswersFewest AnswersBest AnswersRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings