Removing Dye That Transferred in the Wash

My granddaughter has a black shirt. I washed it out by hand to remove excess dyes. I then washed it with her other clothes and some black dye faded onto a pair of pink pants and a white shirt. What can I do to remove it? Help! The pants are brand new.

By nanaofIAM from Portland, OR

I would try Oxi Clean first. You can also try a powder made by Rit that is for this type of dye transfer. It's in the laundry section in a small box near where the Rit color dyes are. (09/08/2009)

By Corene

The formula my mom uses is 1/2 cup powdered Cascade and 1/2 cup of chlorine bleach in a gallon of warm water. Soak garment for at least a few hours, or overnight. This has always worked for me when colors bleed. (09/11/2009)

By Sandy/Pittsburgh

I would not wash black anything with pink and white. I don't know if there is anything that would get it out of the clothes. (09/11/2009)

By Teresa Kay

Picture of a red striped shirt in a washer.
Removing Dye Transfers from Clothing
Up close photo of red, wavy hair.
Homemade Hair Dye Recipes
Sink with hair dye stains
Removing Hair Dye from a Bathroom Sink
Red Hair Dye
Removing Hair Dye Stains from a Bathtub
Eggs in Colored Dye
Other Uses for Easter Egg Dye