Removing Glue Residue From New Stainless Steel Pot

I have a stainless steel stock pot I recently bought and have run through the dishwasher several times to get the glue residue off where the label was. I cannot get the sticky glue mess off. Can anyone help me?

Kate

Answers:

My wife uses Tea Tree oil or Eucalyptus Oil. Try it, if nothing else you have a good natural antiseptic.

Bart (12/28/2004)

By Bart

I use peanut butter to remove glue and sticky stuff. Rub it on the pot and leave it sit about 10 minutes. Then rub in it and rinse. Mary (12/28/2004)

By saphire1970

Try hairspray, nail polish remover or OOPS (bought in hardware stores or Walmart type stores) (12/28/2004)

By Linda

Try WD-40, it works every time!! Just spray on, let it sit for a few minutes and wipe off with a paper towel..wash with hot soapy water and rinse..good luck (12/28/2004)

By jay tea

I use straight rubbing alcohol! (12/28/2004)

By homeschoolin_mum

Try fingernail polish first. If that doesn't work, there is a product called Goo Gone. That works great! (12/28/2004)

By Karen

Try Pam spray or Vaseline or cooking oil. Rub it in the glue residue, let it sit for a minute and you should be able to roll it right off. (12/28/2004)

By wallflower

Goo Gone works the best, just let it sit on a few minutes and wipe off. (12/28/2004)

By Donna J.

Rub the glue mess with oil or butter until it loses it's sticky then wash and it should wash off.

A homemade glue/label remover that works well is 1/2 Dawn Dishwashing liquid mixed with 1/2 rubbing alcohol. I apply generously and let it set for a few minutes then scrape or rub the residue off. Hope it solves your problem. (12/28/2004)

By D

Use Goo-Gone for any labels or "stuck on wall" things to remove. Works great!

(12/28/2004)

By bobbie

This may seem hard to believe but any oil, like baby oil or cooking oil will take off the glue residue. But WD-40 works best of all and I keep a small can beneath my kitchen sink for this purpose. (12/28/2004)

By Carol

I tried several things and found white spirits loosened it and I was able to scrape it off with my rubber glove and fingernail (08/27/2005)

By Heather from Australia

Try sprinkling dry pan with flour and rubbing with back of thumb nail (so as not to scratch pan). Glue should bind to the flour and come of easily (04/26/2006)

By Aileen

Spray with Pam or other cooking spray, let sit 1/2 hour, and scrub off with a nylon scrubby. (04/26/2006)

By jean

I had some stubborn sticker glue residue on metal and couldn't find my goo gone (which works great on everything). Some Pam helped a little, as did Dawn, but rubbing flour on it took care of it completely. The flour stuck, then some firm rubbing with a paper towel took it all up. (02/19/2007)

BEST METHOD: take flour, wet down the sticky residue, sprinkle dry flour and rub in well. Take wet/damp towel and rub off. No need for pam, oil or WD-40! (04/14/2007)

By guest

WD 40 worked a treat! merci beaucoup (05/29/2007)

By jules

I had to devise my own technique, because I had a tough time with this. My labels were about 6 inches in diameter and covered the entire bottom surface (flat) of a stainless steel bowl. The techniques suggested here, such as using flour and WD-40, had no effect (I think it depends on the type of glue used). I discovered that the following process worked for me (it sounds long and involved, but it's not):

1) Soak the item(s) in warm, soapy water for several hours or overnight to loosen the paper.

2) Using a flat-bladed PLASTIC scraper (don't use metal, as it will scratch the surface!), scrape off the paper portion of the label, leaving the glue behind.

3) Use a nylon mesh dish cleaning pad and soapy water to scrub away the remaining glue residue.

4) Finally, use acetone (if you have it - lacquer thinner will work fine, too) to remove any remaining traces of the glue residue.

5) Run the item(s) through the dishwasher to clean and sanitize.

(06/26/2007)

By John

To remove stubborn sticker: Put about a quarter inch of water in the pan/pot and bring to a boil (Let cool and sticker will remove easily)

To remove that nasty residue: Use a little oil (Veg- ensure to get oil over all glue residue - about a teaspoon should be enough) in the pan, heat up pan/pot on stove top. Glue will loosen and oil will trap the glue.

TIP: Scrape with plastic spatula to help loosen. Just did the above steps and it worked perfectly.
(11/17/2007)

By John

John, YOU ROCK. I just tried your method and it worked like a CHARM!

By Gail

Ah! The Pam trick worked like MAGIC! It only took seconds to undo the glue, and I had been working on it since last night! THANKS! (02/15/2008)

By Janet

PAM is the answer folks! (03/12/2008)

By Todd

Pam, mam, is the answer

Just googled *removing adhesive from metal* and I found this site, and the answer. Thank you.

Tried rubbing alcohol, before I googled, as I recall hearing it worked. It didn't.

Put some Pam, on a paper towel, and with a little persistence the adhesive is completely gone.

Thanks again. (10/25/2008)

By bakedbean

I don't know why it worked but it did. I used Old English furniture polish and it took it right off. (12/01/2008)

By Korey

3M makes an adhesive remover that works like magic. You can get it at almost any WalMart, Meijer, or hardware store. Just a dab on a wash cloth and some light rubbing takes it right off, no matter what kind of adhesive or glue it is. The WD40 method is pretty good too. (12/02/2008)

By Matt

I used Endust Furniture polish to remove the label residue, I worked great! (12/13/2008)

By schadencc

I always keep OOPS! in my house. It worked like a charm on the glue residue. It is an all purpose remover you should be able to get at a Home Depot store or similar place. (02/22/2009)

By Tina

Best Method: take flour, wet down the sticky residue, sprinkle dry flour and rub in well. Take wet/damp towel and rub off. No need for Pam, oil or WD-40! Thank you very much. This was fantastic. I used it on a stainless steel fridge that had packing tape from a move. I had tried everything...goo gone, WD 40, SOS pad, you name it, I tried it. This worked like a charm! (11/20/2009)

By emjay

Close up of racks of woks for sale.  You can see the sticker reflected from the inside of the pan
Cleaning Glue Residue From Pots and Pans
paint can with red paint
Painting Stainless Steel
A badly burned stainless steel pan
Cleaning Stainless Steel Cookware
Stainless Steel Cookware
Switching to Stainless Steel Cookware
Stainless Steel Dishwasher
Converting Appliances to Stainless Steel
🎉
🎄