Removing Gum from Hair

Category Hair Tips
Before the screaming begins or you get out the scissors, investigate alternative ways to get gum out of hair. This is a guide about removing gum from hair.

If your child gets chewing gum stuck in their hair use peanut butter to get it out. Using your thumb and forefinger rub the peanut butter on the hair and the gum miraculously disappears! Use a little at a time until the gum is gone. Works every time! Of course, you then have to wash the peanut butter out of their hair.

By dusty6788 from Silver Spring, MD

Actually any oil will also remove the gum. It's the oil in the peanutbutter that loosens the gum.

Tips for removing gum from hair. Post your ideas.

just to let you all know that lime and coconut cream works REALLY well with getting gum out of hair, my cousin thought it would be funny to stick gum in my hair! I was looking in a bunch of these sites and found this, plus I tried it and it's AMAZING!

To get out chewing gum stuck or attached to hair, rub the chewing gum with oil or butter. Rinse or wash the hair normally.

By MaryJane from Lachine, QC

I've heard that peanut butter will also remove gum from hair.

I am looking for tips on how to get gum out of hair.

By Spike01 from Canada

Peanut butter-rub it into the gum real good and wash hair.

Slop a glob of peanut butter on it, massage it around, and then rinse-shampoo if necessary.

Yep, a third vote for peanut butter. You can also freeze the gum with ice and then just break off the hardened gum. It comes out really easily at that point. Good luck!

Another vote for peanut butter. The ice is nice, but why bother? The peanut butter takes a minute, give or take, and you don't have to hold the frozen melting ice cube on the gum. LOL

When I think of gum in hair the smell of peanut butter always hits me :) I guess I never learned my lesson growing up, I had the peanut butter on my head quite a few times, and it worked like a charm!

Goo-gone! My daughter got gun in her hair and it pulled it out.. as well as lovely fresh fast acting window caulking. I have no idea why but she did, and I am talking clear down to her scalp. Using goo-gone was the only thing we could find that would get it out of her hair. Nothing else worked.

Gum in hair. no problem. Rub a teaspoon of peanut butter in the gum. Rub a few minutes and it dissolves it completely. Then just wash peanut butter out of hair. All moms have freaked out over a hunk of gum in kids hair. No cutting of beautiful hair with this solution.

By Paula

Answers:

Removing Gum from Hair

My daughter had gum in her very long hair, only answer to that was to cut off very long hair very short. From now on my daughter is not allowed to have very long hair, she will have very short hair. (03/21/2008)

By Jenny

Removing Gum from Hair

This actually works. My daughter got chewing gum in her hair. I thought we would need to cut it out. I googled it and got your solution. May daughter says 'thanks' she didn't need to get her hair cut - and I'm still her favourite Mum:) (12/06/2008)

How to get bubble gum out of hair. Apply peanut butter to the gummed area and rub and voila, the gum will release and remove easily.

By Diana from La Cygne, KS

Answers:

Removing Chewing Gum From Hair

Maybe this is what we can use all that recalled peanut butter for. (02/16/2007)

By Allison

Removing Chewing Gum From Hair

Thank you so much, I used peanut butter and it came straight out in no time. (03/17/2007)

By Cheryl

Removing Chewing Gum From Hair

Peanut Butter is amazing! Rub it in and keep working through the gum until it disappears before your eyes. Unbelievable! (04/06/2007)

By Susan

Removing Chewing Gum From eye lashes

My 4 yr old got Bazooka gum all over her eyes and eye lashes. We removed some with warm water before reading this. The peanut butter worked great! (05/19/2007)

By Katha

Removing Chewing Gum From Hair

The peanut butter worked like a charm! Thanks for the advice! (06/04/2007)

By Christi

Removing Chewing Gum From Hair

My sister in law used a little bit of olive oil in my niece's hair to remove the gum. Worked like a charm. (05/06/2008)

By Selena

Removing Chewing Gum From Hair

We just removed gum from our granddaughter's hair using Avon's Skin So Soft. It smells much better, and works like a charm. (06/30/2008)

By Bigjohn

Removing Chewing Gum From Hair

With my wife being out of town at a convention, I was horrified to see that my daughter had accidentally gotten a "large amount of chewing gum in her long brown hair. After googling "gum in hair removal" I came across this and 15 minutes later the gum was gone and her hair washed. Thanks so much. (07/14/2008)

By Ray

Removing Chewing Gum From Hair

I got a huge chunk of chewing gum in my long hair and used ice cubes on either side of gum and brushed with a comb and worked perfectly without that sticky peanut butter mess! Good luck! (08/05/2008)

By Moe

Removing Chewing Gum From Hair

I came across a better solution. Just take hair mousse and use it on the gum. In a couple of minutes just comb out the gum. You should probably wash the hair afterward. I got it completely wrapped inside and it worked. (11/07/2008)

By Croat

Remove chewing gum from your child's hair by rubbing a spoonful of peanut butter into the gum, leave on for a bit and then wipe the mess out with a paper towel. Shampoo. You might have to do the peanut butter thing twice if the gum is a really huge chunk. Beats cutting out a chunk of hair like my mom did to me!

By Linda

Answers:

Removing Chewing Gum From Hair

I am a hairdresser and we use mayonnaise. It works great and conditions too.

By Stacy from El Paso

Removing Chewing Gum From Hair

Try ice cubes. It will freeze the gum and when its hard you can break it away. Works for gum in the carpet too.

By eve

Removing Chewing Gum From Hair

Rub the chewing gum with peanut butter, mayonnaise or oil.

Removing Chewing Gum From Hair

If your child has gum stuck in his or her hair, simply use an ice cube on the area. It takes a little work, but it works like a charm!

By Robin

Removing Chewing Gum From Hair

Peanut butter always worked best for me. I have two girls with very long hair;and when they were small I used the peanut butter.

By sshep

Removing Chewing Gum From Hair

Rub perfume into the gum and it comes right out.
This also works on gum on clothes.(quote)(/quote)

By cheryl H.

Removing Chewing Gum From Hair

Mom had given up! I searched the internet and found the peanut butter suggestion for removing the chewing gum from hair. It worked just great, a bit messy but so worth the effort.

By a grateful Grandma

Removing Chewing Gum From Hair

I really did think that the suggestion of peanut butter or mayonnaise to remove chewing gum from hair was a joke but we tried the mayonnaise in my 9 year old's hair and it really did work. Thanks for the tip!

By Louise

Removing Chewing Gum From Hair

Thank you very much for a million dollar tip. Peanut butter worked like magic for me. Cheers.

By Max

Removing Chewing Gum From Hair

My wife just used this method on my 6 yr old daughter, who rolled over some sticky stringy gum. IT WORKED! No cutting of the hair (that was above the ear). Fabulous

By Steven Rapp

Removing Chewing Gum From Hair

Thank you so much - I put chewing gum in my boyfriends hair during a play fight and the mayonnaise worked well!
We are friends again!

By Vilma