Removing Hair Dye Stains on Nails

I dyed my hair and forgot to put the gloves on, now my nails are black. How do I get the color off my nails?

By M

Try scrubbing hands with a thick paste of baking soda and water, then putting a thick coating of petroleum jelly, leaving it on for a few minutes, then scrubbing with an old toothbrush or nail brush.

Your fingernails are dyed, just like your hair, and so this is going to be quite a problem. You will need to use something that removes color. Bleach is what comes to mind, and what I would try first. But it is just a suggestion. I have not tried it; I am sure it would be quite hard on your nails if you used it full strength. Perhaps some of the retired hairdressers on here will have some good suggestions.

You can soak them in 40 volume hydrogen peroxide (that you purchase at a beauty supply) then wash well and apply a hand lotion to counteract any skin drying effect. I wouldn't recommend chlorine bleach because, not only is that bad for the environment and bad for your lungs, but newer studies are finding that bleach seeps through your skin and into your body that can cause a few internal diseases.

You can also wear a nail polish color that will hide the stain whether it be French manicure style polishes or simply a couple of coats of any color you like the most.

Try soaking in hydrogen peroxide.

Though it's not my thought, but one that I came across in another 'helpful' web site, try rubbing your nails with whitening toothpaste. Presumably if it gets teeth white(er), then it should remove the stains from your nails. Hope it works!

Toothpaste. Immediately, I was thinking baking soda, but I was out of it and the non-gel toothpaste contains that. So I took out of the closet the cheapest noname toothpaste that almost got thrown out and put it on a scouring pad and rubbed my fingers on it. My nails went from an incredibly embarrassing purple to really OK if you don't look too hard. Originally, I wanted to make my hair a lighter brown and it came out brassy. I tried all the remedies, purple shampoo, ash dye, non brassy dye and finally food coloring to fix it. Nothing worked. I used a blue based black that a friend had. I did not realize this REALLY stains. And it worked fast. Within a few minutes, I could see it took out the brassiness. I had to be fast. I did not want my hair to be jet black! So then I had to fix the new problem of the fingers. But I learned a lot and I learned that there are a lot of posts and Youtube videos out there that are total BS.

I just had this issue and well found out using a soft nail file works wonders for getting it off your nails. Good luck.

Using bleach was very helpful to remove dye from ur nails ...

the filing of the nails works wonders. Use a med file then use a polishing file and the stain is gone! Foolproof!!

September 9, 2011 Flag

How to remove hair dye from skin and nails?

By Lisa

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Hot water and soap. It may take a day or so for the full effect to come off.

Health & Beauty Beauty Hair Tips ColoringJune 3, 2011
Mancured Hand Holding Flower petals
Saving Money on Acrylic Nails
Up close photo of red, wavy hair.
Homemade Hair Dye Recipes
Sink with hair dye stains
Removing Hair Dye from a Bathroom Sink
Red Hair Dye
Removing Hair Dye Stains from a Bathtub