Removing Hedges

Category Shrubs
Hedge
Hedges are very efficient in their job of creating a dense privacy wall of living shrubbery. Their success can be a hinderance when trying to remove an unwanted hedge. This is a guide about removing hedges.

When it first arrived from Europe in the 1800's, buckthorn was heralded as the ideal shrub plant for creating hedges. That all changed a short while later when it began to plunder its way through our natural areas.

Closeup of thorn.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about getting rid of buckthorn organically. When buckthorn is invading your yard, getting rid of it without chemicals won't be easy, but it can be done.

Buckthorn

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Does anyone know ways to kill dandelions and hedges without herbicides?

By Carol Ann

The only way I know of is to take a skinny trowel or long toothed forked out there and dig them up as soon as you see them. It's a bit of work and is a lifetime commitment, but well worth the effort.

My new husband and I are reclaiming several garden beds and the lawn-one dandelion at a time, lol! We have agreed that every time we are outside we will dig at least one up apiece. When we leave the house we each dig one up and drop it in the bin. When we come back, we dig up another one each. Whenever we go out to hang washing out, pick some greens for the salad, visit over the fence with the neighbors, whatever, we dig up at least one dandelion.

It's working-slowly but surely, and one of these days we'll be on a maintenance plan instead of an eradication plan. :)

I concur with frugalsunnie. Manually is a sure-fire way to get rid of them without any chemicals.

When we moved into our house there were massive shrubs lining the walk up to the house. It felt like walking down a dark tunnel. I didn't like the looks, plus it was a potential hiding spot for bad guys. So my mom and I dug them up. Those things must have been there for over 20 years (huge roots!). It took a lot of digging and prying with shovels and forks, but after much sweat we got it done.

For weeds you may want to try full strength vinegar. Just drip it on the undesirable weed, careful not to get the grass. Given time it will kill the weed.

How do I get rid of my ligustrums without the expense of having them professionally removed? I'm allergic to them.

Thanks.

By metroplex from Houston