Clothing StainsCleaning

Removing Ink from a Hoodie

I got a Super Dry hoodie for my bday after waiting forever. The first day I wore it to school I put my blazer over it when I got there. Then when I got to form and took my blazer off there was red ink on my pocket of my Super Dry hoodie. My red pen had leaked. This happened on the 30th of January. I haven't told my mum. Can someone help me get it out before she finds out :,(

By ella

Read all of this first.

For starters. take old towel and put it under the spot. Pour rubbing alcohol on it and blot with another old towel. Do not rub, whatever you do at his stage. Let dry and look at it Did it help? Continue if it did, moving to clean part of towels, both underneath and for blotting. Alternatively, try fingernail polish remover [acetone] in same way. Have window open, and again, don't rub. NO fire like lighter for smoking while this is being tried.

You probably want to try these chemicals on an inner fold where same fabric is available,first, again using towel underneath to catch fluid. Don't use a good towel. You may never get the ink out of that.

Lastly, if most of it is going you can add a little dish soap (dawn is best, plain, none with other additives, as you can't predict interactions) mixed with the rubbing alcohol,or acetone.

Don't use a creamy or fingernail polish remover other than acetone or you can stain the hoodie that way.

Is hoodie 100% cotton? You have a better chance getting it clean if it is.

Before trying any of this, google removing red ink from 100% cotton knit fabric if that's what it is, or put in fabric content by percentage and see what you get; also removing red ink.

Slow. Cautious. You'll most likely be able to get it out.

Have you tried blotting the ink with rubbing alcohol, and not rubbing it in but blotting as much of it off as possible with a paper towel saturated in rubbing alcohol or hair spray. Hair spray doesn't have as much alcohol as regular rubbing alcohol.

After this squirt shampoo or dish soap on the stain and soak for ten minutes then wash under cold water and do not put in the dryer as the heat will set any ink that might be left. Instead, air dry.

Ella, were you able to get the stain out? FYI, here in the UK you may need to ask the chemist for the acetone fingernail varnish remover (you write about your school blazer, and mention your form so I am assuming you are in England:).

What the Americans who've posted here are calling rubbing alcohol IS NOT the stuff we buy at the chemist here, btw. You need isopropyl alcohol from a computer shop-but unless you are sixth form you may not be able to purchase it. Your better bet is the chemist for the acetone fingernail varnish remover.

Good luck, let us know how you're getting on!

Hairspray is good for removing ink.