How to Remove Ink from Leather

Category Leather
Whether its a jacket, purse, or other item, ink stains on leather can ruin an items appearance. It is important to not further damage the leather when trying to remove the ink. This is a guide about removing ink from leather.

Try hairspray! I had a blue pen and the ink went on my fingers. I went to push the stool in and it went on the stool. I tried Jif, bleach and alcohol, they all didn't work. When it came to hairspray, it came straight off with just one wipe down.

So if you have any leather that has been marked with ink, don't stop and think that it's a scar for life. Let me tell you that hairspray was the best product I ever used!

By Olivia from Bexley, NSW

Editor's Note: Be sure to test the hairspray in an inconspicuous place first. It may remove the color from leather, depending on the quality of the dye and the deepness of the color. White or cream seems to have the best results.

Anonymous
Top Comment

I also have blue ink on my beautiful leather seats in my van. I tried magic eraser, hairspray, and even brake cleaner. Nothing worked. I had ChapStick in my hand as a last resort to let it sit for 3 days, then I read about Nail polish remover.

I only have non acetone pads but I used them and IT WORKED!!! I'm so grateful for everyone's advice. If I were you and had this problem please try each tip a little at a time
bcz with leather being different textures what doesn't work for one type may be a lifesaver to another.

Top Comment

I tried hairspray and not only did it NOT WORK, it took the color out of my light green leather chair. DO NOT USE HAIRSPRAY ON COLORED LEATHER. it might work on white leather but not on colors! My chair now looks awful!

My children's school work got wet and the ink transferred to my light beige leather car seats. I could read the school work on my seats. I went to this site quickly before I left for work. I grabbed a few items suggested: alcohol, hairspray, soap and worked on the spots at red lights. Nothing worked.

I went into work and someone told me about Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. It's by the cleaning products in the store. It worked! No fading. I even tried it on a old rust spot on my sink I could never get out, and it worked. I had to submit this today.

By Ami from Shorewood, IL

Top Comment

Thank you. Magic Eraser did it. Blue ink from waitresses pen when signing the check which got all over me and thankfully only a small area on my new light tan leather purse. I'm going to also rub a little leather polish as suggested to coat it. Love The Magic.

A client of mine accidentally made a long ink pen line on the leather in my Cadillac. I tried all of the suggested removal methods and they did not remove the ink. Finally, I decided to call Dr. Vinyl in Naples, FL to have the area redyed.

The owner, Mark, first suggested applying plain Chapstick on the ink line and letting it sit for several days. It will gradually remove the ink. Remove the Chapstick. If there is still evidence of the ink, reapply the Chapstick and let it sit until the ink disappears. It worked! Remove the Chapstick with leather cleaner and apply a leather conditioner. I hope that it works for you.

By Don Olen from Naples, FL

I need help taking off ink that busted in the pocket and got all over my leather jacket. It's really bad. Can you please help me. Thanks.

Sabrina

Answers

By Rita (Guest Post)
Best Answer

beauty school secret... hair spray will break down ink or dry then blot it with a dry towel.works good on almost any material even carpet.

By Corey (Guest Post)
Best Answer

I've had great success removing ink using plain old rubbing alcohol, even on fine Italian leathers. The little first-aid kit packets are great as they are highly saturated and if you don't unfold them...they have a nice thin edge for precision. I always wash off the alcohol with a damp cloth after the ink is gone and then condition the leather since alcohol is drying. Good luck!

How do I remove ball point ink from leather?

By nfeeney

Answers

Best Answer

Try rubbing alcohol on a cotton ball. However it may take off the leather dye, too, so check first on an inconspicuous spot.

How would I remove a blue Biro mark from a white leather jacket?

By Jemma

Answers

Best Answer

White toothpaste works for me but be sure to test a hidden area first.

I have tried all the tips and tricks suggested but nothing has worked! Any other idea on how to remove blue pen ink from tan leather?

By Silver C

Answers

Best Answer

This will sound unlikely but as long as it is leather and not suede; just spray the ink with a little hair spray/lacquer and it should rub off with a cloth. It works on a lot of different surfaces but don't try it on anything which has a nap, like suede and fabric.

I have used this often and it does work, this was a tip I picked up from watching the 'How clean is your house' team, Kim and Aggie on tv.

To remove ink from leather, spray with hairspray then wipe away. Test first on an inconspicuous place

By katesnanna from Brisbane, Australia

Answers

Best Answer

The reason hairspray is used for removing stains is because it has a high alcohol content. You could use isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol in it's place. I don't think hairspray is particularly good for your hair.

I need information for removing ink from leather.

By Sue

Load More