How to Remove Ink from Leather

Category Leather
Whether its a jacket, purse, or other item, ink stains on leather can ruin an items appearance. It is important to not further damage the leather when trying to remove the ink. This is a guide about removing ink from leather.

Try hairspray! I had a blue pen and the ink went on my fingers. I went to push the stool in and it went on the stool. I tried Jif, bleach and alcohol, they all didn't work. When it came to hairspray, it came straight off with just one wipe down.

So if you have any leather that has been marked with ink, don't stop and think that it's a scar for life. Let me tell you that hairspray was the best product I ever used!

By Olivia from Bexley, NSW

Editor's Note: Be sure to test the hairspray in an inconspicuous place first. It may remove the color from leather, depending on the quality of the dye and the deepness of the color. White or cream seems to have the best results.

Top Comment

I tried hairspray and not only did it NOT WORK, it took the color out of my light green leather chair. DO NOT USE HAIRSPRAY ON COLORED LEATHER. it might work on white leather but not on colors! My chair now looks awful!

My children's school work got wet and the ink transferred to my light beige leather car seats. I could read the school work on my seats. I went to this site quickly before I left for work. I grabbed a few items suggested: alcohol, hairspray, soap and worked on the spots at red lights. Nothing worked.

I went into work and someone told me about Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. It's by the cleaning products in the store. It worked! No fading. I even tried it on a old rust spot on my sink I could never get out, and it worked. I had to submit this today.

By Ami from Shorewood, IL

A client of mine accidentally made a long ink pen line on the leather in my Cadillac. I tried all of the suggested removal methods and they did not remove the ink. Finally, I decided to call Dr. Vinyl in Naples, FL to have the area redyed.

The owner, Mark, first suggested applying plain Chapstick on the ink line and letting it sit for several days. It will gradually remove the ink. Remove the Chapstick. If there is still evidence of the ink, reapply the Chapstick and let it sit until the ink disappears. It worked! Remove the Chapstick with leather cleaner and apply a leather conditioner. I hope that it works for you.

By Don Olen from Naples, FL

How do I remove ball point ink from leather?

By nfeeney

Answers

Hair spray, spray thoroughly and wipe off ink.

Try rubbing alcohol on a cotton ball. However it may take off the leather dye, too, so check first on an inconspicuous spot.

Anonymous

I tried tea tree oil on my pseudo leather jacket and the bird stains disappeared without damaging the fabric

I've been reading about people saying hairspray works. I just tried it, it took the color out of my leather sofa.

So sad

I need help taking off ink that busted in the pocket and got all over my leather jacket. It's really bad. Can you please help me. Thanks.

Sabrina

Answers

By Rita (Guest Post)

beauty school secret... hair spray will break down ink or dry then blot it with a dry towel.works good on almost any material even carpet.

if you jacket is white you can use hand sanitizer. If you have a darker jacjet try mr clean magic eraser or goo gone.

By Corey (Guest Post)

I've had great success removing ink using plain old rubbing alcohol, even on fine Italian leathers. The little first-aid kit packets are great as they are highly saturated and if you don't unfold them...they have a nice thin edge for precision.

I always wash off the alcohol with a damp cloth after the ink is gone and then condition the leather since alcohol is drying. Good luck!

By Elizabeth O. (Guest Post)

How do I remove ink stains from leather?

How would I remove a blue Biro mark from a white leather jacket?

By Jemma

Answers

White toothpaste works for me but be sure to test a hidden area first.

I swear by doctor power by JML I've had my white leather suite less than 2 weeks and little man accidentally got pen and felt tip on it. Doctor power removes it like magic. I've used it for years it cleans anything with no damage no house should be without a tub.

I tried the so called ink leather cleaner sachet once and it actually damaged the leather. So no going back for me. Doctor power all the way.

I have tried all the tips and tricks suggested but nothing has worked! Any other idea on how to remove blue pen ink from tan leather?

By Silver C

Answers

This will sound unlikely but as long as it is leather and not suede; just spray the ink with a little hair spray/lacquer and it should rub off with a cloth. It works on a lot of different surfaces but don't try it on anything which has a nap, like suede and fabric.

I have used this often and it does work, this was a tip I picked up from watching the 'How clean is your house' team, Kim and Aggie on tv.

Anonymous

It worked ! thanks

To remove ink from leather, spray with hairspray then wipe away. Test first on an inconspicuous place

By katesnanna from Brisbane, Australia

Answers

Anonymous

Gosh what does the hairspray do to one's head then?

The reason hairspray is used for removing stains is because it has a high alcohol content. You could use isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol in it's place. I don't think hairspray is particularly good for your hair.

I need information for removing ink from leather.

By Sue

Load More