Removing Newspaper Ink from Wood Furniture

Category Furniture
Newspaper ink can transfer to your hands and other surfaces quite easily. It is important to not damage your wood furniture when removing the ink. This is a guide about removing newspaper ink from wood furniture.

How do I get printer's ink off furniture?

By Sonja

Answers

Best Answer

Try using some ammonia in a hidden spot first. Put a little on a rag and keep dabbing and blotting.

Best Answer

The ammonia trick worked, but the half and half olive oil and white vinegar did not work. However, I didn't have any white vinegar so I used champagne vinegar (white but not the same). The white vinegar is processed, so it is different. The ammonia saved the day!

My dining room table has a mark on it from water spilling onto a newspaper that was on the table. The water wasn't wiped up fast enough, so there is an imprint of the newspaper on my table. Not sure of the wood, looks like dark cherry, but it has a slick glossy finish/coating over it.

Any suggestions on how to remove the stain? Simple soap and water, or Oxyclean spray doesn't work.

Answers

Best Answer

You might try making a paste of baking soda and olive oil. The baking soda is slightly abrasive so may take up the ink stain without damaging the finish. And the olive oil will be better than water on the finish. I clean up many types of stains on my counter top with baking soda and water.
Harlean Greathouse

Apparently a slightly damp news paper was left on my wood night stand. I now find I have news print on the wood. Any ideas for removing this?

Arlene

Answers:

Newsprint (newspaper) on Wood Furniture

You could try an oil and vinegar polish mix. Use an old jam jar or spray bottle may work, just shake well to mix. Half and half olive (or veg) oil (this nourishes and shines) and white vinegar (which cleans the wood and should bring up the ink).

I've used it on my wood framed sofa. Just use a dusting rag or bit of old sheet. You would think the oil would leave the wood greasy, but the vinegar stops that.

Let me know if you try it and it works for you.

Chicky (09/03/2004)

By Louise

Anonymous
Top Comment

It worked perfectly!!! Thank you

Anonymous
Top Comment

OMG!!! this worked perfectly!!!