Removing Mildew Stains on Clothing

Mold and mildew can leave unsightly stains on clothing. This is a guide about removing mildew stains on clothing.

A cardboard box full of stored clothing.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

September 12, 2004 Flag

I have a keepsake outfit that has molded when baby's clothing was spit up on in daycare and placed in a plastic bag. The bag was forgotten about and the mold took over. I have washed it and used color safe bleach. It doesn't necessarily have to be worn again but I would like to save it. Help? TIA!

Jacqui C.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have a moldy cashmere sweater and I don't know how to treat it. My gave it to me for x-mas and had it stored, now it has nasty green mold and I don't know what to do. The sweater is a light pink and don't want it ruined.

Hi I just noticed there is green mould growing on the underside of the cushions and on the front part of the settee in our play room. The cushion covers can be removed but the rest of the sofa is covered in fixed material. Any ideas how to get rid of the mould ?. I hoovered most of it off but there's still stains. Would steam cleaning remove this ?. The room isn't damp so I don't know if maybe something was spilled..

Where can I find the Milton Baby sterilizing fluid in the United States?

When I picked my son up from daycare there was mold in the nipple of the bottle, what should I do?

Read More Answers...

October 24, 2007 Flag

I have a 3 month old who spits up a lot and as often as I change her clothes or put bibs on her etc, she is constantly wet by her neck and chest. I let her clothes air dry after removing them from her before putting them in the hamper. Recently, however, her clothing started to get moldy up by the neck. I now have one cotton, one terry and one velour stretchy of hers that is no longer wearable.

I tried soaking these outfits in vinegar before washing but saw no difference. I also tried rubbing some oxiclean solution on before washing but that did not do it either. Any suggestions? I am looking forward to a response on how to best remove this mold (and how to prevent mold from growing on other outfits.) Thank you!

By Sima

To keep mold/mildew from forming when it's not practical to wash the clothes right then, try keeping a large tub containing a mixture of baking soda and water in the laundry room. (Sorry, I don't remember the amount of baking soda, just a little should do). When you take wet/dirty clothes off of the baby, put them in the tub until you're ready to do a load of laundry. IMPORTANT: BE SURE THE TUB HAS A LID THAT BABY CAN'T REMOVE, OR PUT IT OUT OF BABY'S REACH! Hope this helps! (I used cloth diapers on my son when he was a baby and did this with them).

A lot of my daughters and nieces clothing was in a storage building that had a hot water leak. We thought that they were ruined. But because I like to keep everything just in case, I wanted to give them some true effort. I first placed them in a tub with Shout, Spray in Wash and Zout followed by Dreft. I then took them and placed them in a hot water bath with dish washing liquid and bleach (I used 2 cups to a sink full of water of bleach) it worked! I am not sure what the trick was but I am going to wash the rest of the items this way. All that I can loose is what I have already lost.

i tried Lynda's advice (10/26/2007). I used Clorox bleach and hot water to remove the mildew stains on the removable seat of the baby's walker. It's a blue color fabric w/ Winnie the Pooh print. The walker was stored outside in the patio and not cleaned after the 1st baby used it. When I removed the seat there were mildew stains around the front of the seat (that's where food usually falls when the baby feeds herself).

I tried so many different products to remove the mildew stain, to no avail, until I searched on line and tried the good old Clorox bleach remedy and it worked great! Can't even tell there were mildew stains. The colors and the prints on the fabric looks new! Now I can use the walker for many more years and use it for my grandchildren.

Are you prepared to offer any advice on how or which product is available, which may assist in removing mold from cot covers?

Read More Answers...

August 13, 2013 Flag

I was putting clothing items in my washer and as I doing that I noticed that some of the clothes were wet, and a few of my son's items accidentally got into this pile and had mold on them. I am now wondering if there was any mold at all that got onto the clothes I had placed in dryer after washing, as I did not soak them. I put regular laundry detergent into the wash and no other special chemicals. Now I'm worried that the laundry I washed may still have mold if it. It did in the first place. I washed the loads twice. How can I make sure there is no mold on these clothes now? Is it possible to have mold grow in the washer?

By L

Oil of Cloves is a non-toxic way of getting rid of mould. I make up a spray bottle with 3-4 drops Oil of Cloves to a full spray bottle (500ml size in Australia). If your clothes are really bad you can spray directly onto the clothes. Otherwise just spray the inside of your washing machine then add your clothes. If you have a washing load of musty clothes you can add a couple of drops to your laundry detergent. I have used all of these methods successfully and I now keep a bottle of Oil of Cloves in my laundry for just this reason.

Oil of Cloves should be available in pharmacies or shops selling essential oils.

I use an oxygen bleach, liquid form. Used this for over 25 years. My kids' bibs, onesies lent down to my grandchildren... all are white as can be. Can be applied directly to the stain, let set a minute and wash in the hottest water fabric can be washed it with your regular laundry detergent. Mold or mildew... decide what you have and treat it the same way. Safe, no stinky smell.

September 13, 2010 Flag

My son has a favorite skateboarding shirt that has mildew around the neck and back. After skating he balled up the shirt and never told me. I washed it not knowing it had mildew stains. Is there any way to get these stain out now? He's leaving soon for California and wants to take this shirt. Thanks.

By Doris from Roanoke, VA

Just soak it in straight vinegar for a few hours then wash. Add the vinegar to the wash.

July 21, 2010 Flag

My daughter packed away all of her summer clothes and placed them in our basement, unbeknown to us. Over the winter, the ceiling fell through, now all of her clothes are covered in mildew, I have used household bleach, but cannot remove any of this mildew.
Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you.

By Tina from England

Salt water kills mold on contact try that, that may help or you could try vanish which is very good at getting rid of mold stains.

April 20, 2005 Flag

My cousin wanted me to write in and ask how to get mildew off of pocket books. Her daughter's bathing suit has it on it as well, and she was wanting to know how to get it off.

I suggested vinegar, but she wanted more than one opinion, in case the vinegar didn't work.

So what have you all got for her?

Thanks for everything.

Have a good day.
Teresa from Va.

I actually had the same problem with my son's swimming suit. I used oxyclean in the washer with hot water, and it came out great. I hope this helps.

Home and Garden Cleaning Clothing StainsJune 21, 2013
DampRid
DampRid Reviews
Cleaning up Mildew From Wood
Removing Mildew from Wood
Photo of a tent set up in the woods.
Removing Mildew from a Tent
Man Holding Burger with Mustard Stain on his Tie
Removing Mustard Stains from Clothing
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 19, 2016 at 5:47:35 PM on 10.0.2.135 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.