Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Removing Nicotine Residue from a Car Interior

Smoking in a car can leave a terrible buildup of nicotine residue that is unsightly and smells bad. This is a guide about removing nicotine residue from a car interior.

November 16, 2013 Flag

How do you remove the black cigarette buildup off the leather interior of vehicles?

By Donna

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Saddle Soap is good for cleaning leather as it is meant for cleaning saddles. You might be able to get it at a shoe store. If not, try a feed store.

April 17, 2005 Flag

I got a used car that smells of smoke. I have read here about several ways to get rid of the smell - I will try one soon. But, what about the smoke residue itself? I am getting paranoid about breathing in possible smoke residues there.

Any idea on how to steam or thoroughly clean the ceiling and the seats that will clean the car better than ordinary vacuuming?
Thanks in advance!

Yan

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

For the car windows inside and out, I use dawn dish soap and water. It even takes the yellowing from the smoke out. For the interior, I dust everything first. Then in a spray bottle filled with water, put in a squirt of dawn dish soap. Put top on bottle and shake it up. Spray on interior and scrub with a scrub brush lightly.

When done, set an open bowl of vinegar on the floor. (Remove one half hour before driving). The car will look and smell nice.