Browsing: Removing Odors from Clothing

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Removing Odors from Clothing

Fabric tends to pick up smells and often they are not pleasant. This guide is about removing odors from clothing.

Stinky Laundry In Washing Machine with Man Holding Nose
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

August 1, 2008 Flag

I am looking for help with stinky sour clothing.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

The sour smell is butyric acid; it's water soluble, but some fabrics take a long time to diffuse out the stuff. One wash cycle isn't always enough. Soak the garment (overnight in a bucket of water) and maybe change the water and give it a second day. One pound of clothes, ten pounds of water, means you diminish the odor maybe 90 percent with every change of fluid.

The problem eventually will go away with just regular washing, too (but each wash is fifteen minutes of water contact, versus fifteen hours of contact if you leave it in a bucket overnight).

Best Answer

Use ammonia in wash & soak after agitating then let sit for a hour or more depending on smell. Then rinse out. Fill wash tub with water with same clothes, add vinegar abt 1/2. Cup then run thru wash cycle as usual. This noally takes.care of any odor. Have used this method many years successfully.

Read More Answers...

May 18, 2010 Flag

How can I get the smell of ethanol out of my husband's work clothes and then out of my washer?

By Racheal from Ashland, KY

Best Answer

Murphy's Oil Soap. I learned this trick when my ex was a dump truck driver.

Best Answer

Do not use Fabreze. It is made with ethanol. I would wash with baking soda disolved in hot water, but cold water for the wash. Let it sit. I put mine in the wash, let it fill up, agitate for about 10 minutes, than shut it off. My washer is in the bathroom so I run it everytime I go in there for the next couple of hours. Before it rinses, I add a cup of vinegar, run it, let it sit. Than rinse it.

Good luck with it.

Ethanol is a neurotoxin. It causes brain damage for me. It makes my motor-controls not work correctly.

Read More Answers...

November 19, 2015 Flag

With all the rain lately my septic tank overflowed and when it did it went into my washer when my laundry was washing. I had to rewash it three times and my brother said they smelled fine so I wore an outfit from it. Now I'm out in public and I smell like when the septic tank overflowed. I sprayed perfume to hide it; also I won't be able to wash clothes cause I'm leaving to go out of town in few hours. I need advice on what to do.

1. Get your septic tank pumped. You waited too long to do it and that's why it backed up.

2. Don't bother with perfume. It will just smell like somebody crapped in a flower garden. Buy a new outfit to travel and wash your clothes in a laundromat while away.

3. When you get home, consult a septic expert about both pumping your septic and what to do about your washer.

If septic backed up in your washer, your tap water may not be safe. Be careful.

I think what happened was the washer had no where to pump the water so it mixed with sewar water but didn't really leave the machine. If you live well away from the nearest neighbor, run a separate line out into the yard for your washer water just on top of the ground. It's grey water. Just move the end periodically where the water comes out with force.

February 29, 2016 Flag

My child had an accident in his jammies and I hadn't noticed. I didn't do laundry for a few days and now I can't get the poop smell out of his pj bottoms. Any suggestions?

One-third cup of baking soda and 1 cup of white vinegar in your washing machine will take out odors in clothes. Make sure you let the washer fill with water first. This mixture will foam up for a few seconds. I've used this for many types of clothes (polyester, cottons, polyester and cotton, and it works great.

October 1, 2006 Flag

How do you remove underarm odor from an article of clothing that can't be washed or dry-cleaned (a costume)?

Angel from Seattle, WA

Best Answer

I realize this answer is years later. My son is in charge of entertainment dept., dancers etc. Their costumes get very sweaty and are very elaborate so they cannot be just washed. Dry cleaning bills are very pricey for garments like this and sometimes dry cleaning damages them. The dancers swear by vodka. Spraying and just letting the item sit out in fresh air or even better the sun. I concentrate on the pits and blot with a white towel. High concentrate alcohol may also be used. The least water content the better, I found 91% alcohol at major dept store, but vodka is usually best. Cheap vodka is OK.

Spray it with Febreeze - It's great for that sort of problem. It can be used on all sorts of clothing that don't really neeed dry cleaning - but have to be refreshed & items that can't be dry cleaned as well. Just apply, let dry & repeat until the odor is gone.

Read More Answers...

April 2, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about removing odors from vintage clothing. Clothes that have been stored for years can have a variety of odd smells.

Close up of a rack of vintage clothing

April 2, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about removing odors from clothing that was left in the washer. Mildew can grow in damp clothes that have not been dried promptly leaving a stubborn smell.

Woman crouched in front of a front loading dryer smelling a shirt

October 12, 2010 Flag

I had a brand new bedspread, that picked up a musty smell from an RV we had used. I tried everything, to get the odor out. Of course I could not use bleach on this fabric.

January 9, 2015 Flag

How can you remove the smell of oil from bowling towels?

By Peggy S.

Try using white vinegar in the rinse cycle. It works great for removing oil, grease, and odors from clothing. Baking soda works great for removing odors as well.

November 11, 2013 Flag

I am new to the harsh winters of Canada and am starting to get used to the idea of heavy outerwear like woolen jackets with inner linings, etc. I am also Indian, so our cooking stinks sky-high, unfortunately.

I need a solution to remove the smell of cooking/food from my heavy, outerwear without washing them. These are almost new stuff, but I hate that they smell of food whenever I go out to work or shopping.

Please help. I would like to have some solution where I can put some stuff in the dryer with these jackets and that takes out all the odor. No washing needed. Only deodorizing.

Thanks.

By Azmat

For starters, try airing them outside for a few hours. Choose a windy day if possible. Or .... if you have access to a dryer, use a home dry cleaner (ie: Dryel) that can be found in most grocery or department stores in their laundry detergent aisle.

Load More
Home and Garden Cleaning OdorsNovember 6, 2012
cigarette smell computer
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odors from a Computer
large couch
Removing Odors from Furniture
A colorful stack of new clothing.
Removing Chemical Odors From New Clothing
chef cleaning a fish
Cleaning Seafood Odors From Clothing
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 21, 2016 at 8:42:34 PM on 10.0.0.66 in 5 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.