Removing Musty Smell from Clothing

Here's the "Solution"

I had a brand new bedspread, that picked up a musty smell from an RV we had used. I tried everything, to get the odor out. Of course I could not use bleach on this fabric. A musty odor is almost impossible to get rid of, once an item has been exposed, no matter how clean you get it! Ahhh, at last, I remembered that I still had some "Simple Solution Stain and Odor Remover" on hand. You can buy it at most pet stores. It's the best thing I have ever found, for removing the smell left in the carpet from our aging, incontinent kitty. It has never damaged my carpets, so I thought, why not?!

So I put two cups of "Simple Solution" into a washing machine full of water with the bedspread. I let it soak for four hours and then ran it through the normal cycle. The musty odor is now gone! And the bedspread has a very light pleasant scent. I am so happy that a brand new, very expensive item was saved! I would have no hesitation to use this product on any type of furniture that may have picked up a musty smell. Musty Odor? This nasty problem will not be a problem for me ever again!

By Diane =^..^= from New Braunfels, TX

14 Questions

All of our clothes have been stored for a year. Last night I washed them in All detergent and baking soda. The musty, oily odor is still there. What else can I use?

By DIANE from Iowa Park, TX

Answers

Best Answer

Try washing them again, but add 1-2 cups of white vinegar along with the detergent.

Best Answer

I find All detergent to have a musty smell of its own. Try a non-scented detergent.

Answer this Question

I've been hanging my clothes inside to dry. Lately they've been having a musky smell. How can I get rid of the odor?

By kathy

Answers

Best Answer

I would stop hanging your clothes indoors. That is likely what is causing the musty smell. You are not getting enough air circulation to dry properly.

What I would do first, if possible, is rewash these clothes with vinegar in the wash, and then hang them out in the sun and wind. If that doesn't work, check out the archives here as there are tons of suggestions, and one in the tips section of today's newsletter.

Answer this Question

I have some cotton shirts that were stored in the basement for 18 years. How do I get that smell out of them? I did soak them in borax and then in a lemon/water mix, but they still smell.

Lylias

Answers

Best Answer

Hanging them out on the line for a day or so might help. The sun will kill the mildew and the fresh air would do them good.

Answer this Question

Stored clothing can develop a musty odor over time. Hanging it near an open window can help air it out and potentially cause the odor to dissipate. This is a page about removing musty smell from a wedding dress.

Wedding Dress hanging in window

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? 1

I have had a problem with my water heater leaking in my basement and leaving a ton of water on the floor. I didn't notice until it was too late, that some dark clothing got wet and sat in the water for some time.

I am looking for way to remove the musty smell from clothing that has been in storage.

I have gym clothes that I am ready to replace due to a musty smell. They are not too old and they appear to be in good condition otherwise.

How do you get the smell out of clothes and towels that have a moldy, unfresh odor?

Last spring I put my winter clothing in my garage. Now that I am getting them out, they smell very musty. What can I do to get rid of the smell?

How do you get rid of musty smells in clothes?

My basement flooded and all of our son's clothes got soaked and started to smell musty within that day. We washed them, but they still smell.

I have a very small closet space in my room, therefore I have to store my clothes in my basement in a closet during the off seasons.

I have some clothing that was in storage and became damp. So far there isn't any mold just a musty smell.

Home and Garden Cleaning OdorsNovember 29, 2012
😷
🎃
🍂
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf168818.tip.html