Musty Smell on Stored Clothing

I am looking for way to remove the musty smell from clothing that has been in storage.

Michael from Oakland, CA

Answers:

Musty Smell on Stored Clothing

If they are washable I would wash them with Oxiclean. The stuff is wonderful. Also, you could lay each item out in the full sunlight for a good while. The sun kills mold and that is what you are smelling. Good luck. (08/09/2006)

By caraing

Musty Smell on Stored Clothing

Fresh air and sunlight can help a lot, free too. (08/09/2006)

By aardvark

Musty Smell on Stored Clothing

Toss in the dryer on air only and then hang outside in the fresh air. You might also use Febreze on a towel in the dryer with the clothes. Good luck. (08/09/2006)

By 2oma

Musty Smell on Stored Clothing

Wash the clothes again with detergent and a cup of baking soda. Baking soda will remove most odors the first time around. (08/09/2006)

By linex_4

Musty Smell on Stored Clothing

I would wash with a cup of baking soda and a cup of white vinegar. It does work.
(08/09/2006)

By meoowmom

Musty Smell on Stored Clothing

Wash them with your normal detergent, then hang them outside on the line for a couple of hours on a sunny, breezy day before drying them with a dryer sheet. That should work.

PS--Make sure to put used dryer sheets in between the layers of clothing in the bin the next time you store your summer or winter clothing. It helps keep them fresh-smelling, especially if they are sweaters. (08/09/2006)

By PMZ

Musty Smell on Stored Clothing

I wash musty clothing in woolwash using fabric softener and air dry on the clothes line. My daughter has a musty smell in her cupboard and I have just filled a clean, small children's sized empty yoghurt container 1/2 full with bi-carbonate of soda or baking soda. Seal the top of container with aluminum foil, poking foil gently with a fork or skewer to let musty smell to be absorbed by soda. I put it in a couple of hours ago and cannot smell the musty odour! (08/10/2006)

By debt free