Removing Old Wallpaper

We're trying to remove 15 year-old wallpaper with water and a scraper. Very difficult to do. Any suggestions on how to make this job easier?

Jack from Auburn, IN

Answers:

Removing Old Wallpaper

Have you tried fabric softener? I have mixed part water and part fabric softener in a spray bottle. Spray the wallpaper, wait a bit and then scrape. We did have some very tough wallpaper in the kitchen so I used softener only and really saturated it. If this fails I think you may have to rent a steamer. (09/24/2008)

By Wendy

Removing Old Wallpaper

If your wall is in fairly good shape why don't you just paint over it? There is a type of paint called "high hiding" that will cover over wallpaper, dark colors, and imperfections. Check it out. (09/24/2008)

By perfume and powder

Removing Old Wallpaper

Warm/hot water and vinegar in a spray bottle or sponge it on. Let sit a minute or two and scrape away. (09/26/2008)

Removing Old Wallpaper

I've use the (cheap) fabric softener/water solution along with scoring the wallpaper first. Plus it smells better than the name brand wallpaper solution and is a lot less expensive. I use the softener solution to wash the remainder of glue off the walls, too. Best of luck. (09/26/2008)

By JoAnnDeMom

Removing Old Wallpaper

You can rent wall paper remover "steamers" and then the elbow work is much easier :-) (09/26/2008)

By Deeli

Removing Old Wallpaper

I just use warm water in a spray bottle. Just soak a couple of areas. Go back to the first area after about 3-4 minutes and you should be able to pull the top layer of the paper easily, spray it again for the glue layer. Keep working back and forth that way you won't have to sit and wait for each area to soak in. (09/26/2008)

By PICO

Removing Old Wallpaper

If it's that hard you would be better off painting over it as the work involved in repairing the walls can get extensive. I was a painting contractor for 10 years and you would need to level out you surface using Spackle, sand lightly, and use a good primer like Kilz latex in Walmart for about 20.00. Then proceed to paint. (09/26/2008)

By Denise w

Removing Old Wallpaper

I have just used my steam iron on med high with a damp wash cloth between the iron and the wall to remove the paper.
The glue comes off quickly with ammonia. It stinks and you need a window open, but if it's diluted you can get the job done pretty fast, and it's cheap. (09/27/2008)

By Jennny

Removing Old Wallpaper

We used apple cider vinegar and warm water as long as we could. Have one of those little scorer things that puts holes in the wallpaper so the solution can get down behind the wallpaper. When we hit the 7th layer! We rented a steamer and I was done in one 24 hour period. (09/28/2008)

By Lisa

Man Removing Wallpaper
Removing Wallpaper
Removing wallpaper with a scraper.
Repairing Drywall After Wallpaper Removal
Blue and white retro wallpaper.
Cleaning Wallpaper
Removing Wallpaper That Has Been Painted, Gloved hand scraping off wallpaper.
Removing Wallpaper That Has Been Painted
Painting Over Wallpaper, Vintage Peeling Wallaper
Painting Over Wallpaper
🎉
🎄