Removing Pen from Leather Furniture

Category Leather
Leather furniture is an expensive investment. It is important to not damage the leather when trying to remove pen ink from your furniture. This is a guide about removing pen from leather furniture.

Woman hands using a upholstery attachment to wash a purple suede couch

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about cleaning pen ink on a suede couch. Care must be taken when cleaning suede.

This is a tip for removing ink from a white or cream colored leather sofa.

Materials Needed:

• Professional Strength Goof Off solution (It is actually called Goof Off and it must say professional strength. You can buy this at Home Depot, Lowe's, or any hardware store.)
  • Q-tip cotton swabs
  • a moistened (with just cold water) wash cloth or rag
  • leather protectant spray to use after you treat the stained area so to keep the leather shiny and well protected for the future.
  • dry cloth

Instructions:

Important: try using a small, less noticeable area of your leather sofa to treat for ink stain, and see how it works on your leather sofa before treating the whole sofa. You may notice a lightening of the fabric area if you rub too hard against the sofa with the Q-tip that contains the solution, or if you use large quantities of the Goof Off liquid. Apply only a small amount of the liquid onto the Q-tip first to see how the leather sofa responds to the liquid.

1. Take a Q-tip cotton swab and apply Goof Off liquid to it.
  2. Rub the Q-tip over the ink stain as though you were using a pencil eraser to erase words from paper. The idea is to use small back and forth motion as well as small circular motion while rubbing out the stain.
  3. Once the ink stain is removed, use a wet wash cloth, that is moistened with just cold water, to go over the treated area of the leather. This is very important to do because you do no want to leave the Goof Off solution on your material once it has done its job, or else you could discolor the leather.
  4. Take a dry cloth and go over the area with a leather protectant spray to help keep your leather sofa and shiny and protected against future stains.

How can I remove old blue pen marks on my light gray leather chairs? I have tried acetone, hair spray, Chapstick, alcohol swabs, just about everything I can think of and nothing worked. Is there anyone who actually had a product that really worked?
Thank you.

Anonymous

Same my problem

My leather couch is white and I have a huge blue stain. I tried the Magic Eraser, but it only lifted slightly. What else is there?

By Sandy from Mississauga, Ontario

I just put a blue ball point pen mark on my sons white leather sofa i cant get out to buy something i am babysitting

How do I get blue pen ink off of my cream leather couch? I have tried rubbing alcohol, leather cleaner, Murphy's oil and the last resort, hair spray is not advisable.

By R. Brown

You mentioned using alcohol, but you didn't indicate the percentage. You must use 91% isopropyl alcohol for good results in removing pen ink from leather. Dab a cotton swab or cotton ball with 91% isopropyl alcohol, and approach the stain at one side. Press gently, don't rub, until the ink appears on the cotton. Do this a little at a time until all the ink is absorbed. I've used this method several times with great results. Good luck!

I have shiny cream leather sofas. My grand-daughter wrote several lines and made many drawings on them using a black coloured ballpoint ink pen. On the other sofa's she wrote with blue coloured ballpoint ink. What must I use to clean and remove these two types of ink on my leather sofas without damaging the colouring or paint on the sofas?

By Paul from South Africa

Anonymous

Thanks I tried the nail polish remover and it worked my son wrote on my white headboard with blue ink pen thanks a lot

I have iodine and ball point pen ink stains on a cream leather sofa, do you know how I can get rid of them? It is not my sofa and I am freaking out.

My 18 month old has just used a blue ball point pen to draw all over my cream leather sofa! "again" my first attempts at moving them was with suggested methods which just faded the leather and pen marks. This morning I've noticed he'd done it again this time big round marks!

In a panic I just picked up my new buy from the betterware called the "pink stuff"(cleaning product) put a bit on a damp cloth,with the first wipe it was gone,i gave it a go on the previous marks and too they have disappeared, no scrubbing was needed and no damage to the leather-give it a go! literally one wipe and it was gone.

ps: I did however try it on my chairs which are faux leather. It only faded the pen marks so best works on real leather.

How do I remove blue ink off a cream leather couch?

By Marilyn N.

Test these on a hidden area on the back of your couch first: If one does not work, then try the other. I hope this helps!

Rubbing alcohol

Hairspray

Magic Eraser

Use the first two with a cotton swab.

Blessings,

Robyn

How do I remove ink from a leather sofa?

By Yvonne

I have used WD 40 to remove ink, crayons & magic marker from almost every surface you can imagine!

My dog chewed an ink pen on my pearl leather sofa. It left deep spots. I have tried Ink Lift with no luck. What can I use to take the ink off?

By Belinda F.

Try rubbing a bit of lemon juice on the area. Let sit for a few minutes and wipe off gently with a damp cloth. I use lemon juice to clean most everything. Hope it works for you!

How do I remove ball point pen ink from couch upholstery?

By Catherine from Norwalk

Hairspray and blot. Hairspray and blot. It works on all types of ink stains. Good luck!

Where do I buy products to remove an ink stain from a light cream leather suite? Also, How do I remove ink stain from my light cream leather sofa?

By Victoria F. from Hodge Hill, Birmingham

I know hair spray can remove ink from some surfaces. This would be a cheap place to start. But, try the hair spray in a hidden place first to make sure it does not hurt the sofa. Hope this helps you!

How do I remove ink stains from a leather sofa?

By Annette from Wales

WD-40 works wonders.

I want to get pen marks off my brown leather couch. What do I do?

By Henna from Oceanside, NY

Hairspray, aqua net, aerosol can like grandma used to use.

I need to remove an ink stain from a leather handbag. The bag is red and the ink is black. Can anybody help me?

By Joan from Geneva

Answers:

Removing Ink from Leather

Use rubbing alcohol. (03/17/2011)

How do I get blue and black Biro off a cream leather sofa?

By Val from Tyne and Wear

Answers:

Ink On a Leather Couch

This really works. I came home to find that my 5 year old had used a black Biro on our brand new leather settee. I took the advice and used Silvikrin hair spray and a duster. No more Biro marks. It did not stain the leather at all.
Thanks. (03/13/2011)

By 1975ford capri

How can I remove Biro ink from my cream leather chair?

By Angie from Kent

How do you get ink off of leather furniture?

By Gloria from Kalispell, MT

Answers:

Removing Ink from Leather

Hello, first post. Read all the suggestions and recommend starting with mildest solvent first. Colored leather will be ruined with acetone/ nail polish remover. I am cleaning a Dooney now and a orange citrus cleaner seems to be doing well. Always apply in inconspicuous spot first and have another dry cloth/paper towel available so it doesn't get too wet or go the wrong way. WD-40 on a Q-tip / Chap-stick/ Spray-n-wash/ alcohol/ toothpaste (not gel) would be less chance of making the problem worse than the more aggressive solvents/abrasives.
Start with the Chap-stick or WD-40 before any solvents as this will minimize removing the thin protective coating on the leather making it more porous. Good Luck! (10/29/2010)

By 252gregb

Removing Ink from Leather

After many treatments, we tried everything from WD-40, skin so soft, soft scrub, spray-n-wash, alcohol, nothing worked until we tried the hair spray! Wow, did this ever work. Good recommendation. Thanks. (12/06/2010)

By amezosi

My 2 year old scribbled ink pen all over my off white leather furniture. I need to know how to remove the ink marks.

By ShantelMarie from Saint Augustine, FL

Answers:

Pen Ink on Leather Furniture

Try spraying hair spray on the marks. I have always heard that works on clothes. (11/19/2010)

By redhatterb

Pen Ink on Leather Furniture

This link will tell you step by step how to get ink off leather. I also read in the 'net that Goo Gone is good for getting ink off leather. I've never had leather furniture, so I can't verify its accuracy.
http://www.buzzle.com/articles/removing-ink-from-leather.html (11/20/2010)

By Lorelei

Pen Ink on Leather Furniture

Plain old cheap hair spay, not spritz. I keep a can of cheap spray just for this purpose! (11/20/2010)

By Toebeanie

Pen Ink on Leather Furniture

I've tried hairspray, rubbing alcohol and Murphy's Oil Soap. All three begin to remove the ink and the color of the leather! Now I have ink still on and light spots where it's removed the tan color of the leather. I stopped short of removing the ink as I'm going to end up with spots all over where the ink was. The ink is from my elderly mother using a pen to do word searches and not realizing she was making marks all over the arm! Guess I'll have to live with the ink as the light spots look worse. (01/26/2011)

By golfgirl56

Pen Ink on Leather Furniture

If the leather is white or off-white, you can use rubbing alcohol with a Q-tip and it will not discolor the leather. I tried this after trying hairspray and perfume with no success. The alcohol worked very well for me, got rid of 100% of it. (01/26/2011)

By sharbeth

How do you remove ballpoint ink from a brown leather sofa?

By Mary from Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Answers:

Ink On a Leather Couch

Have you tried hairspray? Sometimes that works. (10/28/2010)

By Paula

Ink On a Leather Couch

The cologne method worked flawlessly! Maybe it's the alcohol, but the scent was a bonus! (11/12/2010)

By shotgunB

My daughter has drawn with a Biro pen all over my cream leather sofa! How can I get it off?

How do I take ink out of leather?

My son wrote on my couch with a pen. What can I use to remove it without messing my couch up? The fabric is polyester.

A 2 year old wrote on a brown leather sofa, how do I clean ink off my sofa without fading the brown leather?

My son scribbled all over my brown leather ottoman with a black ink pen. I have tried Dawn and just plain soap and water. I need to get the stain completely out. What should I use?

How do you remove ink from a leather couch?

How do I take ink out of leather?

I have a brown leather sofa and two young boys who have put a number of "accidental" marks from an ink pen on it. I need to know an EFFECTIVE way of removing them, if it's possible.

I have a leather chair that is red. I had a blue Biro pen in my back pocket and sat down to eat. After getting up I saw that I had drawn on the red leather.

I am looking for a home remedy to remove black and blue ball point ink marks from my off white sofa.

How do I clean black ink off a dark brown leather couch in a hurry, using inexpensive household cleaning products?

I need to know how to remove blue ink from a brown leather sofa.

I have a beige leather couch and it has a small ink spot on it. How do I get it out?

What can I use to remove ink from a leather couch?

I am trying to find out how to clean ballpoint pen ink from my couch. Any help out there?

How do you get ink lines off a yellow leather couch?

How do I remove ball point pen from leather?

How do you remove ball point ink from a leather couch and from cloth?

How do I remove ink from leather?

How do you remove a ballpoint pen ink stain from a leather sofa?

How do I take a blue ink pen mark off of my leather couch?

My two year old son just drew me a beautiful picture using a ball point pen. Unfortunately he used my leather sofa as his canvas.

How can I remove biro ink from a tan leather couch?

Load More