Removing Pen from Leather Furniture

Leather furniture is an expensive investment. It is important to not damage the leather when trying to remove pen ink from your furniture. This is a guide about removing pen from leather furniture.

photo of brown leather couch
Filter Sort

Question: Iodine and Ball Point Pen Stains on Cream Leather Sofa

By Cindy Laudati 1

I have iodine and ball point pen ink stains on a cream leather sofa, do you know how I can get rid of them? It is not my sofa and I am freaking out.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Samantha 1 Flag

Why would you have Iodine on your sofa? For leather, lighter fluid on a cotton ball or a q tip works wonders, it will even take off perm. marker or blood in most cases. This will work for pen defiantly, probably for the Iodine also. Just wet a cotton ball with a moderate amount of zippo lighter fluid (or something very similar) and rub the stain until it lightens and disappears. Test a less visible part of the leather for colorfastness, esp. for dark colors. After the stain is gone wipe over the area with a damp rag and dry. It is best to clean the stain as soon as possible but even after the stain has set for a long period of time .you may be able to remove it. I probably would not try this with suede. For woven fabrics I would explore other options first.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Ink from a Leather Couch

How do I get blue pen ink off of my cream leather couch? I have tried rubbing alcohol, leather cleaner, Murphy's oil and the last resort, hair spray is not advisable.

By R. Brown

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Sharon 1 1 Flag

You mentioned using alcohol, but you didn't indicate the percentage. You must use 91% isopropyl alcohol for good results in removing pen ink from leather. Dab a cotton swab or cotton ball with 91% isopropyl alcohol, and approach the stain at one side. Press gently, don't rub, until the ink appears on the cotton. Do this a little at a time until all the ink is absorbed. I've used this method several times with great results. Good luck!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Ink on My White Leather Couches

My leather couch is white and I have a huge blue stain. I tried the Magic Eraser, but it only lifted slightly. What else is there?

By Sandy from Mississauga, Ontario

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By casecleary 1 Flag

I had some ink stains in my white coach bag. I used hand sanitizer and it came right off. I am not sure about other color leathers but the white one came off. I rubbed it with a microfiber cloth.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

How do I remove blue ink off a cream leather couch?

By Marilyn N.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By artwest-1 3 2 Flag

Try and find someone that sells Amway. They sell a product called LOC. It is one thing that I've found that helps removes markers, ink,adhesives, and all kind of stains very well.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Ink from Leather Furniture

How do I remove ink from a leather sofa?

By Yvonne

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Christi 7 31 Flag

I have used WD 40 to remove ink, crayons & magic marker from almost every surface you can imagine!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Ink off Leather Sofa

By Belinda F. 1

My dog chewed an ink pen on my pearl leather sofa. It left deep spots. I have tried Ink Lift with no luck. What can I use to take the ink off?

By Belinda F.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Cica 3 16 Flag

Try rubbing a bit of lemon juice on the area. Let sit for a few minutes and wipe off gently with a damp cloth. I use lemon juice to clean most everything. Hope it works for you!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Ball Point Pen Ink on a Couch

How do I remove ball point pen ink from couch upholstery?

By Catherine from Norwalk

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Diana Atherton 6 13 Flag

Hairspray and blot. Hairspray and blot. It works on all types of ink stains. Good luck!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing an Ink Stain from a Light Cream Leather Sofa

Where do I buy products to remove an ink stain from a light cream leather suite? Also, How do I remove ink stain from my light cream leather sofa?

By Victoria F. from Hodge Hill, Birmingham

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Denise 22 Flag

I know hair spray can remove ink from some surfaces. This would be a cheap place to start. But, try the hair spray in a hidden place first to make sure it does not hurt the sofa. Hope this helps you!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Ink On a Leather Couch

By annette 1

How do I remove ink stains from a leather sofa?

By Annette from Wales

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Jackie 32 Flag

WD-40 works wonders.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Pen Ink on Leather Furniture

By Paul 1

I have shiny cream leather sofas. My grand-daughter wrote several lines and made many drawings on them using a black coloured ballpoint ink pen. On the other sofa's she wrote with blue coloured ballpoint ink. What must I use to clean and remove these two types of ink on my leather sofas without damaging the colouring or paint on the sofas?

By Paul from South Africa

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Elizabeth 9 8 Flag

I have found that hair spray or fingernail polish remover has worked for me in taking out ink marks. I would try both or one on a spot of leather where no one can see if it does not work. You will have to make a small ink mark first to see if either works, but out of sight.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Ink Pen Lines From Brown Leather Sofa

By Henna 1

I want to get pen marks off my brown leather couch. What do I do?

By Henna from Oceanside, NY

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By tara73 3 6 Flag

Hairspray, aqua net, aerosol can like grandma used to use.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Removing Ink From a Leather Sofa

By greengirl 1

This is a tip for removing ink from a white or cream colored leather sofa.

Materials Needed:

• Professional Strength Goof Off solution (It is actually called Goof Off and it must say professional strength. You can buy this at Home Depot, Lowe's, or any hardware store.)
  • Q-tip cotton swabs
  • a moistened (with just cold water) wash cloth or rag
  • leather protectant spray to use after you treat the stained area so to keep the leather shiny and well protected for the future.
  • dry cloth

Instructions:

Important: try using a small, less noticeable area of your leather sofa to treat for ink stain, and see how it works on your leather sofa before treating the whole sofa. You may notice a lightening of the fabric area if you rub too hard against the sofa with the Q-tip that contains the solution, or if you use large quantities of the Goof Off liquid. Apply only a small amount of the liquid onto the Q-tip first to see how the leather sofa responds to the liquid.

1. Take a Q-tip cotton swab and apply Goof Off liquid to it.
  2. Rub the Q-tip over the ink stain as though you were using a pencil eraser to erase words from paper. The idea is to use small back and forth motion as well as small circular motion while rubbing out the stain.
  3. Once the ink stain is removed, use a wet wash cloth, that is moistened with just cold water, to go over the treated area of the leather. This is very important to do because you do no want to leave the Goof Off solution on your material once it has done its job, or else you could discolor the leather.
  4. Take a dry cloth and go over the area with a leather protectant spray to help keep your leather sofa and shiny and protected against future stains.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Ink from Leather

By busymotherof7 1

My 2 year old daughter drew all over my leather burgundy couch with a pen. How do I get these off my couch without taking the color off my couch?

By busymotherof7 from UT

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Cleaning Ink From a Couch

By doris 1

Does anyone know how to get ballpoint pen out of a medium colored brown sofa?

By Doris from Raleigh, NC

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Archive: Removing Ink from Leather

How to get ink off of a leather chair?

Laura Willette from Owatonna, MN

Answers:

RE: Removing Ink from Leather

How about trying Avon's Skin So Soft. Put a bit on a clean towel and gently rub the ink spot. (06/02/2006)

By Holly

RE: Removing Ink from Leather

Absolutely Amazing! I used the 70% Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol trick on 2 day old ink on my tan leather sofa and it took it completely out with no damage. Fantastic trick! One I'll never forget, that's for sure. (06/20/2006)

By Felicia

RE: Removing Ink from Leather

I just used alcohol on my leather couch and now instead of ink I have an ugly white space!

(b)Note:(/b) Always test in a place that won't show. Different dyes on leathers react differently. You could try touching it up with a matching shoe polish. Make sure that you buff it out so it doesn't stain someones clothing. (07/18/2006)

By Ellen.

RE: Removing Ink from Leather

After being on vacation for a week, I came home and discovered black onk on my Baseball glove colored Italian leather. Oh no!! I used Magic Eraser by Mr. Clean and 70% Alcohol and it worked but took the color out. Then I tried after shave and it worked like a charm. Great idea! (07/23/2006)

By Shinnitta

RE: Removing Ink from Leather

After a "no show" today by the manufacturer's representatives to remove the ink stains from my NEW leather sofa (never leave a puppy and a pen unattended), I decided to try it again myself. My previous attempt using household cleaners removed some of the dye from the brown leather! I CAREFULLY tried using alcohol and Q-tips and it helped. The ink stains were set in for a few weeks so the fact they are much lighter now is still a plus. I can gladly say it is no longer very noticeable and now neither the couch OR the puppy are destined for the trash! Thanks! (08/02/2006)

By Lorraine

RE: Removing Ink from Leather

Thank you all of you. Brand new lether couches and my best freiends boy left ink on them. I cried. Then I tried the hairspray... It worked. Thank you so much! (09/23/2006)

By Nanette

RE: Removing Ink from Leather

I tried the hairspray as well as the alcohol both took the color right out of my brown leather sofa so be very careful before trying these tips. I learned the hard way. (09/24/2006)

By Anna

RE: Removing Ink from Leather

I used Vodka. Got the ink right off. (10/06/2006)

By Norm

Archive: Ink Off a Leather Couch

How do I get ink pen scribbles off my white leather couch? We've tried the special ink remover stick for leather and this lightened up the marks, but they are still quite noticeable. Any suggestions?

Andrea - San Antonio, TX

Answers:

Rubbing Alcohol

I used rubbing alcohol on a Q-tip for the ball point pen my 2 year old got on our cream leather. There was no discoloration. (01/08/2005)

By Kim Lucibello, MA

Aftershave

i have just used lacoste aftershave it has taken the ink off but taken a bit off the shine off of the leather, still looks better than the biro pen! I recommend it. (01/10/2005)

By Diane - Glasgow

Advice

Everything depends upon the type of leather, the dye and type of stain, etc. On one sofa alcohol might work and on another it might remove the color. Keep in mind that many furniture manufacturers also use top grain leather in the seating areas and splits on the sides and back. Some use vinyl in areas that don't touch the body. I recommend treating leather with a protection cream when you first get your furniture home to repel stains. Then keep it clean by dusting it. Leather needs to be cleaned with a damp cloth whether you see the dirt or not, just like a carpet, or it will begin to show wear. If you already have a mark like ink, try witch hazel instead of alcohol. Regular rubbing alcohol and hairspray both work a lot of the time, but start out with a spot where loss of color won't be noticeable. (01/13/2005)

By Nancy

Aftershave

I just used Adidas aftershave on a cotton ball on my tan leather car seats and it got the ink right of with little rubbing. it took the shine out of the leather but not too bad. I would recommend using aftershave. Thanks for the advice. (02/12/2005)

By Burns

Lynx Body Spray

My daughter decided to leave me a present of blue pen marks one morning! I had only had my cream leather sofa for 1 week! Aftershave was a no-no, but i did have me ex's lynx body spray left lying around so i gave it a go. Results were brilliant, no more pen marks, no faded color and my sofa smells gorgeous! (05/29/2005)

By Gemma

AXE

My cat, Oliver, is a pen thief. I discovered black ink all over my cream leather couch. Your recommendation of AXE body spray worked GREAT. (07/26/2005)

By Connie

Aftershave

I just used my favorite Boss aftershave. Two Biro marks disappeared! Partner now a happy lady and the kids are safe! (09/04/2005)

By Gordon

By Milliecatkins

Isopropyl Alcohol

The reason the hair spray and body sprays worked is because they have alcohol in them. So try using isopropyl alcohol or denatured alcohol (best). Dab with a Q-tip and see if it spots first. Remember isopropyl alcohol is much more drying than denatured. Good luck (09/12/2005)

By Michael

Isopropyl Alcohol

Isopropyl Alcohol did WONDERS to remove the big black spiral ink rings on my cream color leather sofa that my 21 month budding artist created.

I was horrified. I was on the phone with my Mom and she told me to do a google. I found this website with the first entry from a women in San Antonio (where I live) with the same cream color sofa and a same budding artist! I did not think it would work but it did! THANK YOU!!

(09/30/2005)

By Carrie Wallace

No Luck

I tried hair spray, perfume, cologne, alcohol, vodka every suggestion on here and it won't come off. My dark chocolate leather couch is ruined with black ink pen scribbles. (10/27/2005)

By athena

Brown Leather

I have tried the nail polish remover AND the perfume, but it hasn't worked. My sofas are a antique look brown leather, that my friends little girl drew on with a blue biro on the seat. The remover and perfume are taking the color out of the leather. (11/04/2005)

By ksthryn

Perfume

I used my Britney Spears perfume on my tan colored leather couch that my 2 year old just marked up with a black ink pen, and it worked great! You cant even see where it was marked on. (11/07/2005)

By Holly-Louisiana

Alcohol Based

The reason perfume or aftershave or hairspray works is because they are all alcohol based. If you use regular rubbing alcohol it'll work just as well if not better and you're saving your good perfume for yourself! But if you don't have rubbing alcohol on hand .. reach for that perfume!
    (11/07/2005)

By Madelynnsmama

Perfume

My son had an accident with a black biro and my new cream leather sofa, I was panicking as tried everything under the kitchen sink but nothing worked then I came across this site and tried perfume. It worked great and I'm happy once again. Many thanks :-) (11/08/2005)

By Ele-Scotland

Rubbing Alcohol

The rubbing alcohol worked great on my cream leather, taking off the blue pen ink that my son had gotten on our ottoman. You people who initially figured this out deserve a medal! (11/16/2005)

By Lorna

Rubbing Alcohol

We just bought a $2,000 couch, had a party last night and a friend accidently made some blue ball point pen marks on it last night. We took the rubbing alcohol idea, and it came rite out. THANKS!! (11/20/2005)

By Keith

Hairspray

I wrote on my hands with black ball-point pen and it wore off my hands onto my creme leather couch. I didn't know what to do! I used rave 3x ultra hairspray. I am so glad, it came right off. You can hardly see the pen marks!
    (11/21/2005)

By ashley

RE: Ink Off a Leather Couch

Don't use alcohol on brown leather couch. It also takes the brown stain/finish out! (12/20/2005)

By brown leather couch

Great Tip, Thanks

I used pure IPA to get a blue ball-point mark off of very light cream colored soft leather in the interior of my car - worked perfectly. After using a Q-tip and IPA, there was a bit of a light spot - so, I put some IPA on a facecloth and gave a 'quick wipe' over the surrounding area - this blended the light spot in, now, it looks perfect, good as new.

All I can add to what has been said is that perhaps it would be a good idea to put some leather conditioner on the leather after the ink has been removed, to keep the leather soft and supple. (03/05/2006)

By Michael - Toronto, Canada

Archive: Removing Ink from Leather

How can I clean pen marks off of leather?

Joann from Oroville

Answers:

RE: Removing Ink from Leather

I have a brand new 2006 chevy silverado and my 3 yr.old son drew all over the leather center console...oh boy was I unhappy but luckily for me this is 2006 and we have ask.com. so I ran to the computer and learned that alcohol really does work THANK GOODNESS it didn't completely come out but enough did to make it look alot better so thank you to everyone who posted advice! (10/26/2006)

By fullerwnks

RE: Removing Ink from Leather

The hair spray worked like a dream on my beige sofa.
    Thank you very much for the tip. (12/28/2006)

By Akhtar Hussain

RE: Removing Ink from Leather

I accidently got biro ink on our new leather couch, and my mum went crazy, as we havent even paid for them yet! so i came across this website and suggested hair spray to her. It worked a treat, and now you can hardly see the marks! Thanks! (02/15/2007)

By Lei

Archive: Removing Ink from Leather

How do you remove ink from leather?

Candice from Chicago, IL

Answers:

RE: Removing Ink from Leather

I used hairspray for my tan italian leather sofa and there was a lot of designs from our son. The marks are now very light. Have not tried alcohol yet. Thankyou for all of your help. (03/16/2007)

By STEPH

RE: Removing Ink from Leather

Surgical spirit worked for me!
    (04/16/2007)

By Nuz

RE: Removing Ink from Leather

Use Amodine, it needs to be done gradually, apply, wipe off, apply wipe off. It worked really well on a beige leather that I have - did not appear to hurt leather. I ordered it from ebay. (04/18/2007)

By Sheryl

RE: Removing Ink from Leather

My mother in law was staying and she left a pen on the couch. It moved of is own accord and drew a line across my cream couch. I found this site after using leather cleaner, vanish and vinegar. the hairspray worked a treat.

Thanks

PS: Can I use it on mother in law to make her vanish. (04/19/2007)

By aec

RE: Removing Ink from Leather

During my weekly leather sofa dusting I discover a ink spot so I took the advice about and I used the hairspray first and it didn't work but then I used the alcohol and it came right up! Be careful and use a Q-tip on just that spot were the ink is because it can leave a white tint as if the color is being removed but afterwards I just used some leather conditin on it and it, better than an ink spot.

By April

Archive: Cleaning Ink From a Couch

I am trying to find out how to clean ballpoint pen ink from my couch. Any help out there?

Barb from Maryland

Answers:

RE: Cleaning Ballpoint Ink Pen From Couch

Hair spray often will remove ballpoint ink from fabric.

By Guest

I have not tried it on a couch but on ink on my white uniforms hair spray works great. Just spray on and blot. The cheaper hair spray the better, old fashioned Aqua Net worked the best.

By

Make sure that you use aerosol hair spray. The pump sprays don't work as well.

By Guest

Thanks, I was frantic because we had a visitor yesterday (2 yr old) and he scribbled on my boss' new couch. I think the hairspray thing is going to work. Thank you, thank u!

By Cynthia

I tried aftershave and it did work but I rubbed hard in one spot and it took the color out so be careful and test an area first.

By Elizabeth

I just tried the hair spray suggestion and it worked like a charm. I hope when it dries, it does not leave a mark?

Pump hair spray does not work on real leather, it takes the color out!! don't do it!

By april

just tried the hairspray, works like a dream when nothing else would touch it!

By guest

Thanks for your valuable advice. According to how to clean anything. I needed a professional upholstery cleaner. they had no solution

By dean

Archive: Removing Ink from Leather

How can I get ink out of leather?

Melody from Springhill, FL

Answers:</font

RE: Removing Ink from Leather car seat

Isopropyl alcohol worked well - got most but not all of the ink out. BUT vigorous rubbing took some finish off the leather. I used leather conditioner and a leather protector and it looks pretty good. (07/05/2007)

By golfunjim

RE: Removing Ink from Leather

If the ink is on a pigmented leather then the first thing you should try is an ink stick (find one that is a professional product used in the industry - LTT do one). The fresher the ink the more chance you have of removing it.

If an ink stick doesn't work a solvent based remover will need to be used and it may also remove finish and pigment so is best left to the experts.

Using hairspray/WD40 and all these other solvent cleaners is very risky as it can make the matter far worse as it can spread the ink over a bigger area and can sometimes then be impossible to fix.
    Using alcohol can also be a little risky depending on how stable the finish is. If the finish is unstable this would remove pigment form the leather.
    Nail varnish remover or any other solvents will also remove the finish and pigment which will need replacing.

DO NOT USE Baby wipes as they are about the worst thing you can use on a leather as they break down the finish and will eventually ruin it.

Please do not try milk or toothpaste these are silly ideas that will leave sticky residues on the surface which will help to break down the finish on your leather.
    Magic erasers usually remove finish and pigment along with the ink.

Old ink will be harder to remove than new ink and may mean resorting to solvents which will also remove the finish. This is probably best left to the experts.

Silicones/furniture polish are the worst thing to use on leather as they will form a coating on the surface of the leather which will not allow any moisture to get to the leather and will eventually break all the finish down and make it crack.

Leather does not need conditioning it needs cleaning and protecting on a regular basis with water based products this will keep it rehydrated and supple. Oils will make things much worse.

Leather should be cleaned gently not scrubbed so 'elbow grease' will only do damage to the finish.

Hide food will not remove ink and will leave residues on the leather which will attract dirt and oils.

Using a good quality leather protector (one that works) will help make this problem easier should it happen again, it also does your leather good by protecting it against oils and dirt which ultimately make the pigment crack and the leather deteriorate.

Good Luck

http://www.LTTsolutions.net
    Leather care consultnts to the furniture and cleaning industries and leather repair specialists
    Professional knowledge
    (11/20/2007)

By Leather Agony Aunt

Archive: Ink Off a Leather Couch

How can I remove biro ink from a tan leather couch?

JEANNIETILMOUTH from United Kingdom

RE: Ink Off Red Leather Couch

Perfume worked but it did take off some of the color, maybe just dabbing at it might help.
    (01/20/2007)

By Kez

RE: Ink Off a Leather Couch

I just used 'Very Valentino' on a biro stain and it came off in seconds. Excellent! (03/19/2007)

By Ben UK

RE: Ink Off a Leather Couch

My dog chewed up a pen on our leather couch and Axe body spray worked really well taking out the marks left by the pen.
    (03/26/2007)

By Ronald

RE: Ink Off a Leather Couch

Blue ink on light cream leather, the only alcohol available was the rubbing type. Used small amount on kitchen roll and off it came then used leather cleaner cloth and its like new. (05/22/2007)

By Les

RE: Ink Off a Leather Couch

Thanks for the aftershave tip. Worked great! Got biro on my parents new leather sofa and needed to get it off before they noticed! (08/16/2007)

RE: Ink Off a Leather Couch

Just used eternity by Calvin Klein on a cream sofa and it worked wonders. Meant I had to clean the whole sofa afterwards though with the cleaner that came with the sofa. (09/08/2007)

By Richard

RE: Ink Off a Leather Couch

My 2yr Daughter used a blue ink pen to draw on my cream leather sofa and I just used your advice. So I decided to try the perfume. Oh my GOSH who would have ever thought Vera Wang Perfume would come in handy for more than smelling sweet for my sweety.

Thanks,
    Meagan (Louisiana) (09/18/2007)

By Meagan

RE: Ink Off a Leather Couch

I just tried Obsession For Men and it took the ink right off...plus my couch smells fantastic. (10/14/2007)

By Mario

RE: Ink Off a Leather Couch

Came back from work & to my horror my daughter had drawn on my 3 month old cream leather sofa with blue ink. I used my husbands aftershave ( black suede touch) & I can't believe it. The ink has really faded & you can only see it if you know it's there. I didn't want to rub to much but I am certain it will come off with a few more attempts. Thank you so much you have saved my husband from spending the night in the spare room for not watching our daughter whilst she was doing her art work. (11/04/2007)

By sade

RE: Ink Off a Leather Couch

Biro ink was used by our 4 yr old, he drew a wonderful picture of daddy on our 6 mth old chocolate leather sofa - daddy was not impressed! I have managed to erase it all with alcohol hand cleaner (the stuff used to clean your hands in hospital) I gently smoothed with cotton wool along the biro line and it vanished before my eyes. Then I smoothed on milk to affected areas wiped off with dry kitchen roll "HEY PRESTO" as good as new. (11/16/2007)

By Lorry

RE: Ink Off a Leather Couch

I had dark blue biro marks all over my new white leather couch and the hairspray and milk trick worked a treat. Anything that contains alcohol will get the marks off but have the milk/ water handy to remove all traces of alcohol as that will fade the color, and may remove the leather. (11/17/2007)

By sharon

Archive: Removing Ink from Leather

I used hairspray to remove ink (from a ball point pen) on my green leather three-piece suite and it worked. Apply hairspray to a dry cloth and gently work into the affected area. The area will then become sticky so apply a damp cloth and then dry. Do this as soon as possible as some dye will be removed from leather while applying hairspray. -

Mark from Wales, UK

Feedback:
    RE: Removing Ink from Leather 06/11/2003
    The active ingredient in things like hairspray etc. is the alcohol. The safe alcohol is isopropanol, which is found in common rubbing alcohol. I used a 70% isopropanol on my brand new leather sofa to remove ball point ink. It worked extremely well. Rubbing alcohol is 70% isopropanol and nothing else. So to prevent residues from being deposited it is recommended to use this. If your are in a bind I recommend Vodka, and stuff like hairspray, or even a high proof whisky!! In fact anything with alcohol will work, only you have to worry what OTHER stuff is in the solution you use. Hence I recommend simple rubbing alcohol. A good substitute is the fluid used to clean tape heads and VCR heads. The beauty is that it simple alcohol evaporates almost instantly so no further mess.

DO NOT USE NAIL POLISH REMOVER. It contains ACETONE, not Alcohol. AGAIN DO NOT USE NAIL POLISH REMOVER although it SMELLS somewhat like alcohol. USE YOUR NOGGIN, read the label. Acetone is too strong, and can dissolve most dyes.

BE CAREFUL, on dark colors. No matter what tip, dark colors can be tricky. If your color is light beige, white and cream the alcohol trick should be extremely safe. If the leather is smooth and not a soft (absorbent kind) the dyes are generally fast, but WATCH OUT!!! ALWAYS TEST AN INCONSPICUOUS SPOT.

AFTER TESTING:

• Take the rubbing alcohol on a cloth or paper towel.

• Rub into the spot. Get the area wet. Before the alcohol evaporates absorb it into a clean cloth/paper towel by pressing on the spot.

• The absorbing will help remove the dissolved ink, rather than leave on the leather.

• Repeat to clean to satisfaction.

This should work on most ink types, and some color markers, or other coloring material. Alcohol dissolves most types of marker ink, though once marker ink dries for too long it requires much more work.

Enjoy your couch!

By psmsrs
    Avoid Acetone 06/25/2003
    AN UPDATE: Some rubbing alcohol is 70% ethanol, but also contains acetone and other organics as "inactive" ingredients. AVOID THIS, because of the acetone. I have used this on real light colorfast leather with no problem, but I cannot recommend it.

Note 70% ethanol by itself will not be sold since it is good for drinking!! It is always dosed with other "spirits". Here is a link to Rite Aid's 70% ISOPROANOL (or ISOPROPYL ALCOHOL): Cost: $ 0.59
    http://www.drugstore.com/qxp73865_333181_sespider/rite_aid/isopropyl_rubbing_alcohol_70.htm

By psmsrs
    RE: Removing Ink from Leather 04/27/2004
    Alcohol worked like a charm. Thanks for the tip!
    By designerliz (Guest Post)
    RE: Removing Ink from Leather 10/01/2004
    Mark, Mark, Mark, I CANNOT thank you enough. Was talking on the phone to my mom for about five minutes while my three-year-old was happily watching teletubbies, drinking apple juice and eating pirate's booty. I glanced over at him and he was DRAGGING a black ball-point pen along the arm of our BRAND-NEW leather sofa (still owe $600 on)! Hairspray took it right out. Massive thanks for the tip.
    By suesue
    RE: Removing Ink from Leather 10/03/2004
    Alcohol worked like a charm on my 02' 4 Runner. Thanks a bunch Mark! And thanks to Jeeves, you are now in my Favorites File.
    By Sherman Smith (Guest Post)
    Be Careful 10/13/2004
    BE CAREFUL. I used 70% Isopropyl on 100% Italian leather and it took the color out. . I found if you dilute it with a little water it works better without taking out the color
    By Brian (Guest Post)
    RE: Removing Ink from Leather 11/19/2004
    Just wanted to say a huge thanks. Didn't have hair spray, so I used deodorant, and it really worked. Really bloody amazing. You are the man!
    By Lob Ree (Guest Post)
    RE: Removing Ink from Leather 12/03/2004
    Mark,

I just wanted to let you know that I have a 2003 Lexus with a crème color interior. The other day I found a red ball point pen mark across part of the front seat. Not sure how it got there but nevertheless I was upset.

Did not have any hairspray so I used the 70% Isopropyl alcohol solution and IT WORKED!

Thanks for the great information

By Harry Washington DC USA (Guest Post)
    Rubbing Alcohol 01/17/2005
    I tried the rubbing alcohol thing on my new tan leather sofa to remove green marker that my 2 year old designed and that was the most useful tip I have ever used. Thank you thank you a million times.
    By pam carver (Guest Post)
    Hair Spray 01/20/2005
    I used pump hair spray on my white leather coach purse. What a miracle! Came right out with a little bit of scrubbing.
    By Jenna (Guest Post)
    After shave 03/28/2005
    I tried everything, from tomatoes, polish and the only thing that worked was after shave, after I did this it came out, but I put leather wax on it after just to protect it as it went a bit soft. It did not take the color out. Thanks for the tip.
    By (Guest Post)
    Nothing Worked for Me 08/01/2005
    We have a brand new expensive leather couch. My son marked on it with an ink pen in several places. First I tried hairspray, which didn't work. Second I tried rubbing alcohol in an inconspicuous place. It tore the leather up. so I diluted it. That didn't ruin the leather in the same fashion, but it did make the ink stain worse.
    By Amy (Guest Post)
    RE: Removing Ink from Leather 11/07/2005
    I discovered blue ink marks on my white leather chair, found this web site, took the advice of many who used 70% isopropyl rubbing alcohol and it worked like a charm the ink came right out. Thanks!
    By Doug Burke (Guest Post)
    Alcohol 11/15/2005
    I tried hairspray on my leather car seat and the ink didn't budge, then I tried rubbing alcohol. The ink lifted off with some scrubbing. This after the ink setting in for 2 days! It worked great!

Do not buy car products for cleaning leather. All it will do is clean the leather, not remove the ink.

By Barb (Guest Post)
    RE: Removing Ink from Leather 12/02/2005
    I used the rubbing alcohol on the ink mark, and it worked great! My sofa is off white. Thanks for your help.
    By (Guest Post)
    RE: Removing Ink from Leather 12/08/2005
    I used 70% Isopropyl with a paper towel on my SUV's console that got inked. It came off in 2 minutes. THANKS!
    By Reggie (Guest Post)
    RE: Removing Ink from Leather 12/21/2005
    Thanks! My daughter wrote all over our couch with a blue pen. I ran to this web site and it saved me! I ran and got my hairspray and it came right out! Thanks!
    By christina (Guest Post)
    RE: Removing Ink from Leather 01/15/2006
    I used your idea to get deep blue ink from the stupid valet off our new car's white leather interior with great success. Worth the effort to look your site up. Thanks a bunch!
    By (Guest Post)
    Mr. Clean 01/24/2006
    If your worried about staining your couch with alcohol, deodorant or after shave lotion stop worrying. I just used MR. CLEAN MAGIC ERASER PADS on my creme colored 100% italian leather couch and it worked! No worry about it staining. I wet the pad a little bit and out it came.
    By Jenny Bushey (Guest Post)
    RE: Removing Ink from Leather 03/11/2006
    We have black ink on our brown leather sofa. I tried rubbing alcohol, hairspray, Magic Eraser, and leather cleaner - nothing has budged the stain.
    By Heather (Guest Post)
    Target Magic Eraser 03/15/2006
    I just used a Target Magic Eraser Pad on my white leather jacket and it removed the ink off almost too easily, I was so amazed, I didn't even need to wet the pad.
    By Christine (Guest Post)
    GOOP 04/06/2006
    I tried everything mentioned on the feedback and then some. Nothing worked. Then I thought about it.
    GOOP. I tried it and it worked with no color change to leather (actually conditioned the leather) , no scrubbing or rubbing , and took ink out of leather trailblazer seat. In the automotive section at Wal-mart , less than a dollar , smear on with your hand , let sit about 10 minutes , wipe off with damp rag. did it twice and no hint it ever existed , no scrubbing , cleans and conditions.
    By brandy (Guest Post)
    RE: Removing Ink from Leather 05/10/2006
    I used 99% Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol. It worked but it took a lot of rubbing. It didn't harm the leather or the color but I tested it in an inconspicuous spot first. According to my five year old, the ink had been there a few days and that could be why it was so hard to get out! It was gray leather in my brand new Durango.
    By Wanda (Guest Post)
    RE: Removing Ink from Leather 05/20/2006
    Used the hairspray on my leather jacket to get blue ink out and it worked. Yay! Thank you a billion times!
    By Deedra (Guest Post)
    RE: Removing Ink from Leather 05/27/2006
    Thank you so much! Me and my brother were watching tv when a pen in my pocket leaked! it got all over the sofa. I used after shave, hairspray and deodorant and it came out like magic. Grounding averted.
    By Throquat (Guest Post)

Archive: Removing Ball Point Pen From Leather Sofa

RE: Removing Ball Point Pen From Leather Sofa

Take a soft white cloth and spray with hair spray (the cheaper the better) Before using on a visable area try on an inconspecuous place on your sofa. WIpe and see if you may need a little mor. Don't satuerate your leather. After treatment, be sure to use a thin layer of vasalne to re-condition the leather. Good luck. (07/20/2004)

By julie

I tried for ages to remove the lovely design on my cream sofa left by my son but with no results until i tried the hairspray. It worked wonders, infact the areas i cleaned stand out from the rest of the sofa as they are so clean!! Maybe a few tins of hairspray are in order!!
    (10/16/2004)

By Kenny

Unbelievable... I was so upset when I found a huge line of ball-point pen on my new cream leather couch! But, I tired the hairspay and it completely came off! Thank you for the amazing tip! (01/05/2005)

By Julie

How do I remove pen from fake leather .. I tried hairspray but that didn't work = ( (01/08/2005)

By Olivia

I had a little mark of ballpoint on my off white leather sofa, my husband was really upset at that. I tried milk, shampoo, did not work, but I tried isopropyl alcohol and it removed the stain. I applied vaseline after that to condition the area. (01/17/2005)

By farah

B E careful alchol and hairspray discolour the leather very very quickly and doesn't necesarily remove all ink it lightens it... (02/14/2005)

By jeannine.

i was just looking for the same solution - I haven't tried yet but I read in my home remmedies book that you rub on dry baking soda and dust off and repeat until the mark has gone - apparently it will absorb the colour. (03/04/2005)

By nosferatu

RE: moving hair dye from green leather sofa

(04/12/2005)

By lizzy lochrie

Hi, Thank you you have saved my life , my sofa is only 3 weeks and someone had put blue pen on it I tryed the hair spray and it works Thank,s xxx (05/11/2005)

By tina

Biro (Ballpoint Pen) Stains on Leather

Biro and stains can be removed by the use of pencil erasers. Bear in mind that pen removers are solvent based and could potentially remove the color dye. I just cleaned an expensive poppy red leather sofa by putting a speck of water on an eraser and rubbing out the black biro (ballpoint pen) stain. Worked like a dream.

By Rainika (06/02/2005)

By ThriftyFun

Removing Ball Point Pen from Leather Sofa

I just tried hairspray....the hairspray removed the dye from the leather sofa. So now the sofa is discolored :-( (06/13/2005)

By Cecille

I have just used the hair spray solution for removing a small ball point pen mark from my cream leather sofa. It has worked like a dream. Thank you for this suggestion. (06/21/2005)

By Judith Bassett

I stupidly fell asleep in my tan leather recliner with a blue ball point pen over my ear. Needless to say I discovered a huge mess the next day. Tried EVERYTHING then saw the hairspray idea on this sight. Worked like a charm!!!!! (08/02/2005)

By John

Ok, i have a suede sofa that has ball point pen on it.
    How do i remove it?

Thanks (08/08/2005)

By Chris

This worked perfectly on my leather car seat. Thanks!!! (09/10/2005)

By Don

I tried the hairspray solution after my 16 month drew with ball point pen all over my tan leather sofa. It removed the stain from the smaller patches and faded the darker more intense lines. I also put leather conditioner on the sofa immediately after to avoid fading. It seems to be working (09/24/2005)

By davis

I think this tip saved my marriage....sat down in home office to pay bills, wife at work, two year old gets hold of ball point pen and decides to make a 4 square foot drawing on new tan leather couch behind my back.....took about four applications (rinse and dry leather in between) to get lines out, then condition. What a relief....(I think my wife may notice that her hair spray bottle is a bit lighter) (09/24/2005)

By BarryB

Just used hairspray to remove red pen from cream leather.
    Worked a treat.
    Many thanks
    Frank (10/16/2005)

By Frank Horton.

I DON'T NO IF WE ARE ALL ON THE SAME PLANET BUT NONE OF THIS WORKS.. TRIED ALL ON THIS PAGE.... HELP PLSE (11/05/2005)

By BURGUNDYSTARR at HOTMAIL.COM

worked great just be careful to rub stain as little as possible as it starts to remove the dye from the leather too. I conditioned right after removing stain. (11/10/2005)

By maria

hey guys
    I think you should try this.
    I have an Ivory couch. I decided to make a joke and draw a face on my toe, next thing the face was face was printed on the couch twice...oh my god
    ok I used some warm water then using a bar of white soap I rubbed it thoroughly, and left it for about 15 minutes.. and voala the ink is gone and there is no loss of color at all..so the answer is a bar of white soap... (11/12/2005)

By wissam

leather couch

HELLOOOOOOO!!
    NONE OF THIS IS WORKING FOR ME. (11/14/2005)

By Angela

THank you for the hair spray trick. Just removed ball point pen from our new brown leather sofa. My 18 monthold decided to use it as a canvas. (11/29/2005)

By Jennifer

deodorant works, but is a bit too strong an leaves it very dry. (12/04/2005)

By jim

Took delivery of my brand new cream leather sofa yesterday ... today horror of horrors a small but noticeable biro pen mark noticed after my grandchildren had been, tried all to remove it but with no avail, then found this site and tried the hairspray ... hey presto all gone!!! conditioned the leather after. (12/17/2005)

By Babs (Guest Post)

Thank you for the hair spray tip, it worked like a charm after my 3yr old thought the couch was a gaint piece of paper. (12/17/2005)

By jan

you should scrub it off with 409 as quick as possible. If that dosen't work apply a special amount of armorall (12/18/2005)

By kaylee

what is the hair spray trick (12/25/2005)

By neil

Tried hairspray on pen stain on sofa. Worked a treat. (12/25/2005)

By Tracy

i have a 2 year old and i am ready for her to go to a far away college...first i have to wean her from the breast. anyway.pen...leather.BRAT! hairspray works! YAY. hopefully she'll go to harvard. (12/28/2005)

By libby

A 2 year old, a blue ballpoint pen and a cream leather suite.

NOT a good combination! One seat panel completely covered with doodles.

One smacked bottom later we were trying the pen removal wipes supplied with the leather suite - NO GOOD! Then tried baby wipes, nail polish remover and everything else we could think of. In desparation I went onto Google and typed in "Remove ball point pen from cream leather suite" which brought up this site.

Hairspray works! Spray onto a dry cloth and apply, then wipe with damp cloth when it gets sticky. It is amazing. Probably damaged the coating on the suite, but you can't see it and we are reconditioning the whole thing now to protect it again.

THANK YOU (01/07/2006)

By Hooray for Hairspray!

what hairspray do u use ? liquid or the spray version (01/10/2006)

By

Hello there! tried hairspray but only removed small marks!!! Anyone out there how to remove more visable marks as my 2 yera old has gone to art school on my cream leather suite please please let me have some ideas (01/12/2006)

By louise williams from leeds uk

Thanks for the help, it worked a treat! The pen came off my brown leather couch straight away with hairspray - no effort what so ever. (01/18/2006)

By

Brillo pad. I see you all cringing but it works brilliantly. My Mother got me into it, I just rub gently and then wipe, it comes up like new. (01/18/2006)

By

Just be carefull with these home remedies... and do not over rub... The KEY is speed ink will come up even with soap and water if you get it very fast... Hairspray and alcohol can work as well when the ink is attacked fast.. However; if it does not come of easy do not over rub.. You will remove the color from the leather as well as the ink... http://advancedleatherrepair.com (01/20/2006)

By mobile leather service

I had the same problem with our Ivory chair and ball point pen! My friend brought some acetone & that removed it without harming the colour. I put the leather care product on after (similar to dubbing) to stop it drying out. Hope this helps. (01/24/2006)

By Ray.

Noticed ballpoint mark on my beloved cream coloured suede jacket this morning. Used a pencil eraser to rub the mark off. Worked as treat - yipee, the mark is gone! (01/26/2006)

By Sal

if there's no luck with the hairspray, try alcohol...you may have to scrub. Also, sofamart sells an excellent leather cleaner that finished up the job. (01/26/2006)

By Nina

Be very careful with Hair spray. I used it after my two year old decided to be Picasso but it removed color off my brown sofa instead of the art. And I was very careful about not rubbing very hard. (01/30/2006)

By Picasso's mom

The longer the ink sets into the leather , the harder it is to remove... If you try these home remedies..

1.) you should test an area that will not be seen if what you are using will damage the leather finish...

2.) If it does not come off easy it will not come off. Any further heavy scrubbing or rubbing will damage the leather finish.... In other words You will lighten or totally remove color as well as the ink..

3.) There may be a leather Repair company in your area that can help. We see ink all the time and most times we lighten the ink as possible and then do redye work in the area to eliminate the ink stains..

http://mobileleatherservice.com(b)(/b) (02/01/2006)

By Leather Service

RE: Removing Ball Point Pen From bedroom Door

Thanks all. Was really stressed out about my daughters picture drawn on the bedroom door in blue biro early this morning. After revieing your comments I tried a Pencil eraser on the Bedroom door and Behold the Biro Mark are all gone. (02/04/2006)

By Jazz

I don't know why you say hairspray works? Becauce it doesn't for me. Maybe i'm doing it wrong. could someone tell me how to do it, please? I relly would like to get the smily faces off my new leather sofas.(quote)(/quote)(u)(/u)(i)(/i)(b)(/b) (02/11/2006)

By Anna Bausch

Try the new Mr. Clean Magic Erasers....They work WONDERS with ink stains on everything! Try on a hidden spot first to make sure it won't remove leather color though. (02/13/2006)

By MissKat

Hair spray seems to work on a very soft expensive leather sofa.. But it takes a bit long. Not completely clean yet. Will try again tomorrow. (02/19/2006)

By Mitul.

deodorant worked it removes the stain in an instant (02/20/2006)

By ayshea

Be careful with Hairspray deodorant... Its the alcohol thats working... Test in a hidden area first.. If it does not come off.. DO Not Over Rub.. You will also remove some of the leather finish...

http://advancedleatherrepair.com (02/26/2006)

By Leather Advice

how to remove biro from a cloth couch

please tell me how (03/12/2006)

By elke grainger

Some of the home remedies here can and will work. However; please be advised, that regardless of the method used, if the ink does not come off with minimal pressure, it has set in and you risk rubbing the color of the leather of as well as the ink. We see it all the time. Check out this page for more details on what I mean.

http://mobileleatherservice.com/Inkonleather.html
    (03/18/2006)

By Leather

My 22-month-old son just decided that he would scribble all over the wedge part of our light taupe leather sectional. He used a blue ball point pen. I just grabbed what I could find, which happened to be 100% pure acetone and rubbing alcohol and cotton balls. The rubbing alcohol lightened the pen marks quite a bit, but did NOT completely remove all of the marks. I reluctantly used the 100% acetone, but IT WORKED! After getting all of the pen marks off, I followed up with a very thin layer of Vaseline (petroleum jelly) just in case the acetone and/or alcohol dried the leather any. Hope this helps anyone who is in the same situation I just found myself in! (03/23/2006)

By Hannah

It was the timing that helped you out... Keep in mind that the acetone has stripped any protective coating off of your leather finish.. You need some conditioner over that area not vasaline. Good Luck

http://advancedleatherrepair.com (03/26/2006)

By leather

The hairspray worked for me! Sprayed it on, waited until it got sticky, like 1 min. than wiped right off and conditioned afterwards. No marks at all now on my ivory leather sofa. (04/03/2006)

By Maria

Hairspray, and clean very fast, then remove the white layer (that leaves the hairspray) with warm water. That work for us. (04/26/2006)

By jca

i think you just saved me from getting grounded! my mum just found a biro stain on the sofa. i tried soap and water, vanish, didnt work. tried hairspray an it came off after a couple of applications (rinse in between) yay! it came right off! (04/30/2006)

By Elisha

just reluctantly used acetone on an red leather wallet: stains not completely gone, but its usable again!hooray! there is slight discolouration, but ud only notice if you knew to look! (05/03/2006)

By ella

Acetone will remove the color as well as the ink... Test an area first... You can get an ink remover to have on hand @ http://stainsafe.com but check out this link before using

some good links on the pages as well (05/05/2006)

By Leather

Chanell no5........really..... (05/15/2006)

By Phil

Thanks for the tip re hairspray.

Worked a treat!

Now all I have to is tell my 84 year old mother she can't do the crosswords in my newspaper when she visits any more! (05/16/2006)

By Janet O'Brien

i need help. nothing is working tell me please

we got so much ink all over the back of my cream sofa, and were trying to get it off, and i just cannot do it. (05/27/2006)

By bitchplz

how do i remove ink from my face? it wont come off and my face is starting to hurt :'( (05/29/2006)

By

Got new leather sofa and that day when I came home after letting my husband watch the kids they left a gift for me on my new sofa. My 2 year old decided to draw me a picture with a dark blue pen. My husband said he didn't see her do it no doubt he was on the computer at the time. What shoud I do I tried everything and nothing works please. All the items people have put on this site is not working. (06/02/2006)

By maggie

RE:stop the padding going down

can someone give me a few ideas how i can stop the padding going down on my leather sofa and stop the creccing and make it look brand new someone please get back to me on this one thanks Tyrone (06/04/2006)

By Tyrone

The creasing of your leather is natural to a certain degree and unavoidable... You should however adjust the cushions often to avoid the creases folding and pressing down. creases are natural but a folded crease over a long period of time can turn into a split... You need a good conditioner so these areas do not get so dry.... Lexol, or No bull leather treatment are a couple good ones for more finished leather... See leather types here...

http://www.mobileleatherservice.com/LeatherTypes.html

(06/06/2006)

By Leather Helper

After having disbelief that any of these remedies would work on the stains my neice left all over my BRAND NEW cream leather ottoman, I tried alchohol.

I didn't have aerosol hairspray so I used a q-tip and alcholhol to test a spot and it stripped the conditioner but faded the stains right off. I reconditioned after I got them all off, and wahhh lahhhh. IT WORKS!!!!! (07/12/2006)

By Melissa

If you want to remove the stain yourself use this product - http://www.furnitureclinic.co.uk/LeatherInkRemover.htm (07/13/2006)

By ben123

try Avon's Skin So Soft, that stuff is amazing! (07/14/2006)

By wyoKrista

Hairspray worked, but be careful it may take the color right out of the leather
    (07/19/2006)

By

HAIR SPRAY WORKS!!!!!!! Many thanks everyone. I take it that the alcohol in the hair spray does the job. No discolouration at all! (07/25/2006)

By Mike Hobbs

Some of these home remedies will work... However you need to be carefull not to strip the leather finish right off.. We see it all the time...

Check out this before and after pic... Someone used fingernail polish remover to try and remove ink... OOPS.... http://mobileleatherservice.com/Beforandafter.html (08/04/2006)

By Leather repair

My two and four year old drew all over my brand new camel colored leather sofa. I used non acetone nail polish remover very lightly with a qutip and then very quickly wiped away. It took in off after a few attempts and did not take the color off. (09/13/2006)

By unknown

my dumb broher wuz doing home work and got pen on the couch the hairspray worked awsome thanks so much
    (09/19/2006)

By jacob

thanx so much for the hairspray tip. My mums gone on holiday and me and my boyfriend drew a big tattoo on my back and i lay down and it tranfered to the cream leather! hairspray took it off right away and made it look cleaner x (10/17/2006)

By kkk

To my horror as I was walking out the door I notice my son had drew on the sofa I have had to leave it all day and I am not even sure when he has done this! does anyone know if the hairspray will work if it been on there for a few days ahhh help (10/20/2006)

By Erica

What makes hairspray work is the alchahol... If the ink has been there awhile it may not move... DO NOT OVER RUB... You risk removing some leather color as well as the ink... check out some links here for products and info... http://mobileleatherservice.com/Inkonleather.html

http://mobileleatherservice.com/LeatherLinksNEW.html (10/20/2006)

By leather

thankyou all so much, just discovered a christamas guest has got biro on our one month old brown leather sofa. *HAIRSPRAY* worked. we tested it in spare patch first and were amazed after two small sprays it had vanished. I am so happy thankyou again. (01/04/2007)

By emily b

My Girlfriend lied down for a nap with an uncapped pen in her hair... It was all over the back of the couch and the armrest. I didn't have any hairspray, but my Cologne did the trick! Left my couch smelling nice too...

It was almost too good because I had to clean the rest of the couch later. It lifted so much dirt in the process it looked a shade lighter. Scared me for a sec! (01/25/2007)

By Rick

My 14 month old daughter was playing and found my ink pen. When I left for the kitchen, I heard her squealing excitedly. I came back into the living room and she was drawing with my pen all over my cream colored leather couch! I went and got the rubbing alcohol (my hair spray is alcohol free) and it took it right out. (02/06/2007)

By Christy

HELP...I HAVE A BIG BLUE DENTED LINE OF BIRO ON MY WHITE SOFA MY HUSBAND IS GOING BONKERS!!! (02/07/2007)

By LEISA

NONE of this stuff is working for me. The only thing that came close was alcohol and it removed the color as well and not when I initially tried it, after it sat. I sent my husband to buy aerosol hairspray....last hope! Well see.

P.S. No more pens in the house, my 2 year old thinks she's an artist! 3,000.00 couch ruined! (02/10/2007)

By Sara

OH MY GOD THANK YOU THANK YOU my 20 month old thought it would be funny to draw on my New leather couch just bought this week but thanks to this site i got it out with perfume. Thank my husband for buying me a new perfume this valentines day! (02/21/2007)

By Jennifer

fantastic aftershave worked and it smelled good too this is a trick i will not be forgetting in a hurry!!!!! (03/12/2007)

By jayne

RE: Removing Hair Dye From Leather Sofa

PLEASE HELP...MY DAUGHTER DYED HER HAIR AND GOT THE DYE ON MY CREAM LEATHER SOFA... (03/18/2007)

By MARYANN

Thank goodness the non-acetone fingernail polish remover took the ink off my Mom's offwhite leather couch before she found it. Test a patch someplace unnoticed first to make sure it won't discolor the leather. Be careful not to scrub too much. I found that a q-tip was soft enough to use and helped clean in the groves of the "grain" of the leather. Final step was using a slightly wet (h20) cloth to make sure the remover didn't sit and discolor the fabric. (03/28/2007)

By JC

Thanks for the hairspray tip my 14 month drew all over my cream leather sofa and the hairspray took it straight off, it even looks cleaner now. x x x (04/11/2007)

By Laura Hart

I'm 17, my parents just bought brand new light tan leather sofas. I was laying on the couch doing notecards for school...and accidently got blue pen on the couch. Needless to say i did NOT tell my mother...and she JUST left the house...i ran online and immediately found this site. I tried hairspray and it didnt work for me...so i tried rubbing alcohol. That removed the pen immediately but it also took a little coloring off the sofa....theres a tiny white spot on it now....i hope no one notices....thanks for the tips! (04/11/2007)

By Ali

11.30pm and no hairspray to hand and didnt want to leave it till tomorrow. Tried the Chanel No 5 and IT WORKS!! Thanks so much. My cream leather sofa is back to its former glory!
    (04/28/2007)

By Angela B

Thank you for the hairspray tip. I just got the pen mark out of my New expensive white leather purse! Thank you! I can't believe it worked. It just came right out. (05/16/2007)

By Sarah

Used the alcohol trick on dark burgundy leather and it removed the color but not the ink now my couch looks worse-any ideas...
    (05/18/2007)

By

Remove black ball point ink even if it is days old. Try Men cologne or womens perfume be sure that they are the real thing not imitation fragances. It worked it worked however spray on small batches and immediately with a SOS pad (which is a bit harsh on leather) the ink will come off. Be sure you scrub as you spray because if it dries up the ink will not be removed.(quote)(/quote) (05/22/2007)

By B

I recently noticed that my new white leather bag somehow got pink ballpoint pen scribbles on it (i've not got any kids - may have been the cat) so used two different kinds of perfume (CK Euphoria & D&G Light Blue fyi) and it has managed to take most of the ink out but there's still faint pink scribbles so it didn't work totally. I then tried using nail varnish remover which didn't help at all - maybe it's one with no alcohol in it. Maybe I could just paint over it in tippex.... (05/31/2007)

By Nat

My son turned two yesterday . Guess what - today I got first ballpoint pictures on my light chestnut leather armchair :-)
    Tried Magic Eraser - did not do anything dry , with a small amount of water it cleaned up , I would say 90 percent - it is hard to tell , the leather is still somewhat damp and thus dark . Magic Eraser ( with water ) did an incredible job on an old
    marker 9 not permanent kind , but a regular flo-master )
    stain - the same leather chair . One stroke took it of fwith no trace . Wow !!!
    (06/01/2007)

By valentine

I had some pen marks on my red leather school bag but perfume (chanel coco mademoiselle) took them right out. Thanks for the tip! (07/17/2007)

By Lee

MY 20 MONTH OLD DAUGHTER DREW ON THE ARMREST OF MY LEATHER COUCH WITH A PEN......BURBERRY LONDON PERFUME WORKED!!!!!NOT ONE MARK LEFT ANYWHERE ON IT!!!!!! (07/23/2007)

By

I didn't believe you all! The perfume trick definately works. Thanks. Phew! (07/25/2007)

By Pauline NZ

WOW the perfume trick works! While my Dad was at work my brother fell asleep on one of the recently purchased white leather couches. Little did he know that he would drool all over his hand that had pen written on it. The pen on his hand left an exact image of a band's name he had written on his hand. With my Dad arriving home shortly this site popped up as I typed in "removing ink from leather"! What a life saver..definitely use the perfume trick! (07/28/2007)

By Ally

I just removed dark blue pen from my black leather ottoman using the pencil eraser and water tip and it worked! I then conditioned the leather with a cream so the brush marks blended in. Worked like a charm! Now to hide the pens from my toddler...
    (08/25/2007)

By Rachel

I used men's perfume and it worked, although there is a slight discoloration (small white spots) but at least the pen mark has gone. (08/26/2007)

By anurag

I used the aftershave method and it got the ink off fine. (08/31/2007)

By ian

Nail polish remover pads worked! Hairspray sort of worked on the pen, but the pads just wiped it. I had to leave the pads on the stain for a while as it was an old satin! My pads are from Superdrug, their own ones ! Good luck lol (09/02/2007)

By josh.

We have new leather furniture and one of the kids got the ink on it. The mens cologne worked like a charm, and it didn't discolor the dark leather! My husband is now a lot less stress! Thank you! (09/02/2007)

By Bnia

Help! Tried hairspray, vanish, aftershave cream. The leather chair only 2 days old ruined! (09/17/2007)

By Vicky O'Connor

I wondered why my 4 yr old was keeping so quiet while I was working. She just drew lovely circles with ball point pen on my leather organizer. I just used women's perfume and a cotton ball and it came right off!! Amazing! (10/04/2007)

By GAbrielle inLos Angeles

Removing ink from leather bag

I used Burburry London perfume on my brown leather bag to get the blue ballpoint pen ink off - it worked extremely well! The perfume doesn't stain the bag either! (10/14/2007)

By Trixie

So my two year old God Daughter decided to make me a pretty picture, except instead of drawing on a coloring book, she drew all over the side of my couch. We cleaned ALL of it off with Alcohol. It cleaned it all off! Thank god cause the couch is way to expensive! :)

ALCOHOL works and doesn't stain the couch at all... it looks as good as new. (10/24/2007)

By Kristy

I just used perfume and it took out most of the ballpoint pen, but also removed the color of my sofa (10/27/2007)

By

My two year old son just drew me a beautiful picture using a ball point pen. Unfortunately he used my leather sofa as his canvas. Any solutions for safely cleaning my sofa without ruining the leather and its color?

Julie from Arizona

Feedback:

Brilliant. One of my sons (not sure which one) scribbled on my leather sofa. Used the hairspray on a cloth as suggested and the pen marks came off without damaging the sofa. Thank you so much. (11/05/2007)

By Andrea

Didn't work for me. Faded the pen mark and the color of the leather. (11/12/2007)

By D. Walls

Thanks for the perfume tip. My 2 year old nephew drew three lines down my new cream leather sofa. I tried wiping them off with soap and water and they didn't budge. I then left it a week as I didn't have time to try again. Just sprayed my J'Adore Dior over it and the I could see it coming away. Wiped over it a few times and the lines have mostly lifted. I can still see them very very faintly, but I'm sure no one else will notice. Thanks again for the tip. (01/02/2008)

By Jen

The hairspay tip is fantastic on cream sofas. I would strongly recommend it, but don't rub in one place for too long (amazing, brilliant). (01/04/2008)

By Nicky H.

You can try to buy the repair kits from where you bought the sofa. (01/04/2008)

By Emma

Remember that it is very important to test in a inconspicuous place since some leathers are painted instead of dyed. We found out the hard way on a sofa set we bought (while living in another country) as opposed to other fine leathers we own that were also marked with ink. (01/23/2008)

By Lori

No one will ever believe this but just normal hairspray works. Spray about 5 inches away from leather and wipe straight away with a damp cloth. Hey presto. Please try this. It really does work. (02/07/2008)

By Tanya

Do not use Mr. Clean, alcohol only. (02/23/2008)

By twiga

There is an ink remover stick on the market, which might be a handy thing to have on hand. Check with stores that sell leather furniture. Many come in the standard leather cleaning kits available there. (02/26/2008)

Thanks for the useful info. As suggested, I used perfume on a stain that I just found on a wallet, but I don't know how long it was there. It didn't take it all out, but it is certainly much, much better. I was hesitant to rub too hard, so that may be why. I bought the wallet in Italy and the saleslady told me to to clean it with face cleansing milk, which I lightly rubbed on after the perfume, and it gave back the sheen to the leather. (03/04/2008)

By Donna

The perfume trick worked for me. But make sure you buy those leather cleaner oil wipes asap to use after the perfume. (03/10/2008)

By Candy

Removing Ball Point Pen From Leather Sofa

Baby wipes with moisturizer works well. (03/30/2008)

By Adam

Tried the hairspray, did not work at all. Tried perfume, on my cream sofa, now it has pen marks, and yellow stains from the perfume. Beware! (05/19/2008)

By John B

Thanks for the hairspray advice. I just ruined my expensive dark brown sofa trying to remove blue pen stains out of it and it looks 10 times worse. The color of sofa came out as well. Don't use hairspray!

Editor's Note: As with any cleaning advice you get on ThriftyFun, test it in an inconspicuous spot first. (06/02/2008)

By Deanna

I think that hairspray is only good on some types of leather. That's why it left a stain on my cream leather sofa, but not my chocolate leather sofa. (06/02/2008)

By Steph

I just used Magic Eraser on my off-white leather sofa where my daughter made a small scribble in black ball point pen 12 hours ago and it worked wonderfully. (07/06/2008)

By Jessie

People, don't use perfume, it works but makes your sofa discolored. Use Tea Tree oil, it is a natural compound and works much better and doesn't change the color. (08/01/2008)

By Sara

I just tried perfume on my mother-in-law's red leather sofa. It worked. But noticed that perfume cannot be left on the leather for too long, or the leather will be damaged. Use with extra care, but it worked. (08/01/2008)

By Chung

I have never tried the perfume technique. I always use an electric eraser. The Mars white plastic erasers will work as well but are more work and less precise. The eraser will lighten the leather if used aggressively, but once the stain is removed you can touch up the spot with leather conditioner which will darken it a bit. (08/11/2008)

By Michael

Found this site after I sat in my car with a pen in my back pocket and managed to draw all over the grey leather seat. Tried the perfume thing, it works but here are few things that I learned along the way. Spray the perfume onto an ear bud then hold it against the mark, the pen soaks up into the bud without having to rub. Alternate between lots of buds, cleaning a small track at a time, not the entire area. Have soapy water on standby and clean the area you have just treated immediately to stop the effects of the perfume. If you don't clean it off immediately it will mark the leather. Try not to rub hard or you will damage the leather.

It will not be perfect but it will be 99% better than it was.

(08/15/2008)

By Steve

Just used Tea Tree Oil to remove ballpoint ink from a red leather wallet. Worked perfectly and didn't lift any of the color. (09/20/2008)

By Sally L.

Tea Tree did the trick. Sounds like any alcohol based substance will do. Perfume, Nail Polish remover, etc. Tea Tree oil worked for me. (09/26/2008)

By Billy Bob Joe Beth Taylor Jackson

Thanks folks, my we niece drew on my mums new white leather sofa with a ball point pen. Thanks to these reviews, I've removed it with aftershave, followed by a wet wipe, so's not to leave the alcohol on the leather, then dried all excess fluids with kitchen roll. It's back to new, Thanks again. (10/04/2008)

By Roy

Thanks for the tips perfume worked great on cream leather sofa. Don't use nail polish remover. It's too strong for cream sofa. (10/09/2008)

By Trent

My 2 year old just marked up our tan leather sofa. I immediately tried wiping it off with Pledge. That did take a good part of the pen off but not all. I looked on this site and tried perfume on a small area and noticed it discoloring my sofa so I stopped. I ended up using a bar soap called fels napa with water on a rag you can purchase it at Walmart. I use it for all my kids stains on their clothes came out with a little bit of rubbing and left the couch looking untouched. Thank God. (12/02/2008)

I was doing homework sitting on my parents $3000 leather couch that they are very attached to and accidentally got a ballpoint pen mark on it while my mom was sitting on the other end. I quickly covered it with my text book and thought the end of the world had come. Thanks so much for all these responses they saved my life I swear, I told my mom with tears coming into my eyes I was so upset and she laughed at me. Thought of how you get pen mark off your skin and decided to first try spit shining it, which sounds gross, but I just wet my finger with my tongue and rubbed the little mark away and it worked perfectly. (12/08/2008)

By Kat

Home and Garden Cleaning LeatherNovember 9, 2011
    ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
    Furniture polish being sprayed on wood furniture.
    Removing Furniture Polish Build Up from Wood Furniture
    new leather chair
    Smell from New Leather Furniture
    An ink pen in a blue leather purse.
    Removing Ink from Leather
    Man's hands cleaning a leather couch.
    Leather Furniture Cleaner Recipes
    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 11, 2016 at 6:46:16 PM on 10.0.2.241 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesSolutionsQuestionsArchives
    NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost AnswersFewest AnswersBest AnswersRelevance
    Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
    BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
    CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings