Removing Permanent Marker from Clothing

This marker is meant to be permanent, but sometimes you need to remove it. This guide is about removing permanent marker from clothing.

Permanent Marker
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

As soon as possible, spray the mark liberally with hair-spray. Allow to sit for one minute then rinse in clear warm water. If some stain remains, repeat, until all stain is removed and then launder as usual. A friend of mine suggested this to me and it works great!

By Sparkles from Central, OH

CommentMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My blue permanent maker fell out of my hand in art class and it got on my 100% polyester top. I washed and dried it. Any ideas on how to get it out?

By Amari from Rochester

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Oxyclean does wonders for me.

Read More Answers...

I have a jacket with a 100% polyurethane shell. The lining is 65% polyester, 35% cotton. The shell has black permanent marker on it. Someone signed my chest when I went to a concert and it rubbed off onto my jacket. Please help.

By Tina from NSW

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

We got permanent marker out of our carpet with baby wipes

Read More Answers...

How can I remove Sharpie Laundry Marker from a gray sweatshirt?

<p>Nanc</p>

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

It's possible and inexpensive. all you have to do is clean it with paris hilton perfume. The stuff smells like sweat but it really cleans it and afterwards it smell like a new louis vuitton purse.

Read More Answers...

Is there any way I can get permanent marker out of a top?

By mjor adams

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Try spraying with a cheep hair spray and blotting with a paper towel. Worth a try you can use the rest of the cheep hair spray to kill wasps and bees just spay it on them and it kills them.

How do you get Sharpie or permanent marker off colored clothes?

By Mary-Margaret

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I got black marker ink out of a cotton/polyester comforter by coating the ink with Stain Stick first and then adding a coat of Spray 'n Wash. I washed it in a load by itself with my usual detergent. Good luck!

How do I remove blue Sharpie from 100% blue linen shirt?

By Mike

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Try using a Mr. Clean Magic eraser to dab at it. I've always found that OxyMagic (found at most stores) works wonders.

How do you remove permanent marker from clothing?

By Maché from South Africa

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Here are different strategies to try:

Nail Polish Remover

Hairspray

Rubbing Alcohol

Gel based commercial stain removers

Stain Sticks

Baking Soda Toothpaste Paste not gel

Wash garment using cold water no laundry detergent and a cup of salt.

W D 40

Vinegar

Soak in lemon juice for an hour and then launder

Hope at least one of these helps!

Robyn

I accidentally washed and dried my nylon Columbia jacket with a permanent marker in the pocket. How do I get the blotches off my jacket?

By LeAnne from DeForest, WI

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

To remove Marker Ink.

You will need:

Nail Polish Remover

Cotton Balls

Dishwasher Detergent

Soak a cotton ball with the remover.

Gently press it on the affected area, turning the ball & pressing it until the cotton ball is somewhat saturated with the marker ink. With a new cotton ball, repeat the processtwo more times, or until very little ink is left.

The apply a few drops of dishwash detergent (I find Dove works the best) to the area, rub in gently, & launder as you would normally do.

I believe you will find this will remove the marker ink. If it is a more stubborn ink mark, just repeat the process until you are satisfied.

Good Luck, Hedera :0)

My favorite green hollister shirt got tealish blue sharpie on it somehow. I was wondering if you knew how to get it off with out damaging the color of the shirt?

Thank you!

Aimee from Marysville, WA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Try soaking the spot with hairspray and color safe bleach and then washing it. It might work sorry if it doesn't. Hairspray gets sharpie off walls so maybe it will. -halie

Read More Answers...

I have 5 one inch letters on a 100% cotton blue shirt made with a Sharpie. I have already washed it and the Sharpie letters are still there. It was done with a black Sharpie. How do I take the letters out?

By sab7715 from Rock Hill, SC

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Try lots of alcohol or hairspray. It may come out a bit at a time so several tries may be needed. Another product would be GoJo or waterless hand cleaner.

I got dark blue sharpie on my slate gray coat. The part of the coat that got the stain is cotton, and the inside of my coat is polyester and the coat itself is dry clean only. How do I get the stain out with out putting it in the washer?

By Lauren from Omaha, NE

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Try a little alcohol. Alcohol breaks up inks. If you don't have that handy, try hairspray, as it has alcohol in it. Try it in a nonconspicuous place first just to make sure it would affect the color.

How do I get permanent marker out of washed and dried clothes?

Meredith from NC

Clothes Washed and Dried with Permanent Marker

Saturate the stain with hair spray and then wash as you normally would. You may have to wash it a few times with the hair spray, but it does remove the marker.

(11/28/2007)

By Karyn

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How can I remove black permanent maker from a cotton shirt?

By Ester from South Africa

Permanent Marker Stains on Clothing

Pour normal milk over it and rub; the ink will come out. Then rinse and wash. (03/29/2011)

By martilize

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How do I get a black permanent marker off a white cotton t-shirt?

By Ellen from L.A. CA

Permanent Marker Stains on Clothing

Um well, use some Oxi Clean.
:) (12/24/2010)

By jc penny

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How do I remove a Sharpie permanent marker stain from a cotton/poly shirt?

By Cas from Chicago, IL

Permanent Marker Stains on Clothing

Try saturating the stain with aerosol hair spray (not a pump), let it set for a few minutes then blot. I know it works on walls, not sure about clothing. If that doesn't work try a cleaner called "Spray Power". I buy it at Walmart (in aisle with multi surface cleaners like Windex) for about $2 and I use it on just about everything, especially clothes. I hope it helps! (09/27/2010)

By lggroen

Permanent Marker Stains on Clothing

Tonight my son got about 15 good size permanent blue marker spots on his brand new Karate Gi. So, I tried the shout (nothing, tried the hair spray (nothing), acetone (came out a little), so when I was looking under the sink I found Clorox toilet bowl cleaner and soaked it for a few minutes then washed it and now, it's gone! No sign of it at all! Thanks for your help everyone! (10/05/2010)

By j9hans

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How do I remove a Sharpie pen stain on a white cotton mix with polyester.

By Jhay from Anaheim

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How do I remove permanent marker from 64% cotton 36% polyester?

By Pam Rape from Monroe, NC

Permanent Marker Stains on Clothing

Spray Mean Green on it then put it in the washing machine and then pour a 1/2 cup of Mean Green directly in the washer and turn it on (06/04/2010)

By terri_bug123

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My favorite pair of jeans has permanent marker on them. It's a huge line from mid thigh to my knee. My dad, not remembering they had marker on them, washed them. Is there anything I can do to save them?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How do I remove a red marker stain from beige cotton slacks?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I drew a red line with a permanent marker on a wool cap by mistake, how can I remove it safely?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How do I remove black Sharpie permanent marker from a medium blue 100% polyester shirt?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I got a few spots of black permanent marker on my blue school uniform. It is a cotton blend material. How can I get it out?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How do you get a permanent marker stain out of clothes?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How can I remove black permanent marker from my son's bright green shirt?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How do I get what appears to be purple permanent marker out of a neon green sweatshirt jacket?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How do I remove black permanent marker from a blue cotton dress?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How do I get permanent marker off clothing?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How do you get a sharpie permanent marker stain out of a 100% cotton polo shirt?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Cleaning StainsJanuary 27, 2013
Permanent Markers
Removing Permanent Marker From Vinyl and Linoleum Floor
Blue Jeans
Removing Permanent Marker on Jeans
A colorful wooden dresser.
Removing Permanent Marker from Wood Furniture
A Sharpie marker with its lid off.
Removing Permanent Ink (Sharpie) from Plastic
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 3, 2016 at 2:01:47 AM on 10.0.0.199 in 798 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.