Removing Skunk Smell From A Dog

How do I get the skunk smell off my dog?

By Cali5622 from Connelly Springs, NC

Answers:

Removing Skunk Smell From A Dog

Yes, tomato juice works - might take more than once. (04/19/2009)

By LadyDi1947

Removing Skunk Smell From A Dog

Keep some Massengil douche on hand. Just the original scent. My vet swears by this and also people I know that volunteer at animal shelters. (04/20/2009)

By runuts251

Removing Skunk Smell From A Dog

We tried tomato juice, and it didn't really work. Since skunk spray is an oily substance, we thought of dish soap. So we tried plain old lemon scented dish soap, full strength, added warm water and lathered our dog up and then rinsed her off with warm water. We repeated this once or twice and that worked pretty well.

We've also used a baby shampoo (that doesn't hurt their eyes) by their face. You can also get a dog shampoo that doesn't hurt their eyes for around their head, but the dish soap seems to work better at removing the smell, so we use it on the rest of their body. (04/20/2009)

By emmamamie

Removing Skunk Smell From A Dog

Personal Pet Products makes the best shampoo for removing skunk odor. It is called SOS (Skunk Odor Shampoo). I have used it on my dogs, cats and myself, after I shampooed a pet. It has a pleasant coconut oil aroma.

It worked, on me, so well, that I wasn't worried when I went to work that I smelled like a skunk. You might find it at your pet store, but will probably have to go online to order it. It isn't expensive, either. (04/20/2009)

By graymare47

Removing Skunk Smell From A Dog

The recipe by chemist Paul Krembaum works the best. I wrote about our Border Collie that got skunked and we used this formula and it worked great. The recipe is here:

hubpages.com

Good luck with the de-skunking. (05/22/2009)

By Dorsi

Removing Skunk Smell From A Dog

First time my dog got sprayed, I tried peroxide, tomato juice, and backing soda. Nothing. Then I tried Skunk Off shampoo. A small improvement. I had to take her to the vet anyway. Recently it happened again with my other dog. I used what I saw my vet use, DoggiCLEEN Skunk Spray. It did the trick fast and effectively for a tiny fraction of my first Veterinary bill.

(09/09/2009)

By Lucylove

Removing Skunk Smell From A Dog

I've tried everything, but the H2O2 recipe. What I found that works amazingly well is tea tree oil shampoo. One shampoo neutralizes all scent, even close range blasts. Our Lab has gotten skunked twice in the past 2 months, and I'll never use another product. (11/01/2009)

By maryflanagan

A skunk getting ready to spray.
Removing Skunk Smell from a Dog
A skunk getting ready to spray.
Removing Skunk Smell from a Car
Skunk in the Grass
Removing Skunk Smell from House
A plastic basket of laundry.
Removing Skunk Odor from Clothing
Removing Skunk Smell from Books
Removing Skunk Smell from Books
🎉
🎄