Removing Smells From New Leather Clothing

Category Leather
New Leather Jacket
Newly tanned and treated leather can have an unpleasant odor. This is a guide about removing smells from new leather clothing.

I ordered a leather coat, and it smells terrible. I love the smell of leather, but this is not it. Can I fix this?

Marge from Knoxville, IA

You didn't say where you bought it and if it can be returned. I'd say if there's a return policy, just go return it! I don't think you should have to try making it smell better.

The leather has probably been poorly cured. Send it back.

A leather expert told me that many leathers are tanned in horse urine, and "some smell worse than others". I'd take it back to the place I bought it and FAST before Winter sets in. If not possible, I'd send it to a GOOD leather cleaner and take a chance on it being ruined! Afterall, you probably won't wear it as it is anyway, right? I'm not one for tossing anything

unless it smells really bad. I'm sorry you have to go through this, but perhaps the cleaning will help or he will have a solution. Sometimes a silicone waterproofing will also give it a "CHEMICAL" smell, is that the kind of smell? If not, try spraying it with a can of that sold for leathers (NOT SUEDES) at leather

stores and shoe stores. It's about $ 8.00 or so, but

likely worth it to you. Spray and smell IT before you

buy it. Each brand smells different, some BETTER than others! LOL Good luck and God bless you.

I just bought a new belt for my daughter last week. It had a rather strong smell of leather to it. She hates the smell, but loves the belt. Does anybody have a suggestion on how to remove that gross smell?

By Gladys from Chelsea, MA

You cold try this. Pad or remove the buckle, and tumble in the dryer with 2-3 fabric softener sheets. Hang to air outside. This worked on a leather jacket i had the same problem with. Hope this helps.