Removing Chemical Odors From New Clothing

Category Odors
New clothing often has a chemical odor resulting from the use of products, such as formaldehyde, that help with wrinkle resistance and stain resistance. Similarly, there are pesticide smells that are found on imported clothing. This is a guide about removing chemical odors from new clothing.

I have a white crochet shirt I purchased that has a very strong chemical smell that I can't seem to wash out. I have soaked it in mouthwash and baking soda, each separately, letting soak for 2-3 days, washed in the washing machine with baking soda detergent and regular detergent. I am at a loss for how to rid the shirt of the smell. Any suggestions?

By Lynette T

Answers

Try soaking in downy fabric softer.

I purchased 3 pair of tights that are polyester/spandex and they have a horrible kerosene type order to them. I'm sure it's from the material. I've washed them 2X now and the odor is still there. I don't want to return them if I don't have to because they were from a catalog. Any idea of how I can get rid of the odor? Thank you.

By Kathy

How do I remove kerosene odor from cotton clothing?

By margob from Elkins, WV