Removing Spoiled Food Odors from Refrigerator

I did a stupid thing and turned the fridge off and the fish thawed. Yikes, the smell is awful. What do I do now? Do I need to buy a new fridge? The stench is putrid.

By Deanna from Costa Rica

Spray it out with Lysol wait 15 minute and wipe it out. That's what I do. Good luck. (06/14/2010)

By teensout01

Try leaving an open container of baking soda in there. Baking soda is a great odor absorber. (06/14/2010)

By mollyring

When Hurricane Ike knocked our power off for several days I had some food go bad. I tried all the normal methods of cleaning my fridge to no avail. In desperation I sprayed it with Febreze, both fridge and freezer. It worked on the foul odor and the fragrance of Febreze dissipated in a few days. (06/15/2010)

By MartyD

I got this from this site.

Crumple up lots of newspaper and stuff your refrigerator completely. Change it every day till the smell goes away.

This worked for me when I had fish juice spillover.

It didn't take long to work even though I didn't have black and white newspaper to work with. I used the colored advertising newspaper and it worked for me.

I can't remember if I used it in my freezer too, though. sorry.

Lots of luck. You'll find the answer on this site for sure! (06/15/2010)

By metroplex

Try putting some coffee grounds in it. When my husband was in the Marine Corps and we moved every 2-3 years, we were told to put fresh coffee grounds in it until we got to wherever we were going. We did that and there was no odor at all, except for coffee, of course. Another thing to try is newspaper. Only the pages with the black ink. Newspaper absorbs odors, too. (06/16/2010)

By lindylou28546

Photo of a woman holding her nose in front of her refrigerator.
cigarette smell computer
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odors from a Computer
Woman holding nose while standing in front of open refrigerator door
Cleaning Rotten Meat Odors from a Refrigerator
Saving Money on a Refrigerator, A new side by side refrigerator and freezer in stainless steel.
Saving Money on a Refrigerator
View of the water line.
Flushing a Refrigerator Water Line