Removing Stains from White Clothes

Stained white shirt.
It can be a challenge to remove spots from white clothing. This is a guide about removing stains from white clothes.

Bad stain on white clothes? Don't throw the item away. If you have stains from blood, fruit (such as blueberries) wine, coffee, mustard even barbecue sauce, pre-soak item in very hot water with laundry soap for 10 minutes then launder as usual. Check garment for any stains before placing in dryer. If stain remains or if stain has dried on soak item as stated above and the pour 3% hydrogen peroxide directly on stain. Stain should dissolve away in 15 to 30 minutes. Some stains may take longer. Do not let garment dry out during this process. If the stain is on color garment, test small area before using on stain.

Source: Part of this tip are from 1996 Edition of consumer report book "How to Clean Practically Anything." The tip on peroxide is a old home remedy.

By Shelly from Minneapolis, MN

How can I remove a turmeric stain from white clothes?

By chirayil from Chicago, IL

Try soaking the article of clothing in some warm water and a scoop of oxygen cleaner.

Try putting some peroxide on the area, wait a few minutes, then was it as usual.

Yes, I have gotten this stuff on my fingers & counter top & clothes. An alkaline cleaner gets it out. Try some cleanser without bleach or chlorine. Let it sit on it, I'd wet it really well first. Lye, which they use for drain cleaners, is sodium hydroxide. I have had the chemical in the house for years for a lot of reasons. I mix it with water & dissolve. Then I can pour it on lots of things; on stainless steel, acid foods & whatever, leaves dark kind of stains. The sodium hydroxide takes it away. It's a chemical reaction on aluminum, acid cleans & brightens. Sodium hydroxide is very harsh, but when I get turmeric on my hands & under my nails. I use an old toothbrush & scrub it in...all gone. When done, use some vinegar on your hands, rub in & then rinse & dry. Vinegar is acid, sodium hydroxide is very alkaline.

How do I remove stains from a white top?

By Wendy

An oxyclean bleach pen would work. Any one those special house hold stain removers would work. what kind of stain is it, and how long has it been sitting in the fabric? Whatever you do, when a stain first happens, don't run it under hot water! Use cold. The hot water will ferment it more.