Question

Share | Account | About
Share>Account>About>

Removing Tomato Sauce Stains on Clothing

1 0EmailFollow
Pin It
A messy baby getting tomato sauce stains on his clothing.

Don't panic when the tomato sauce drips on your clothing. This is a guide about removing tomato sauce stains on clothing.

Solutions: Removing Tomato Sauce Stains on Clothing

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Remove Tomato Stains on Clothing

I was folding clothes and found a tomato stain on my white shirt after it had been dried. I put Borax on it, hydrogen peroxide and bleach. After I bleached it, I soaked it in water for 10 minutes. You might need to dabble bleach on the area, at the max: 3 times. I put it out in the sunshine to dry and the stain disappeared!

By

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Here are questions related to Removing Tomato Sauce Stains on Clothing.

Question: Tomato Stains On Clothing

How do you get tomato based liquid out of white clothing?

By Dolly from Clearwater, FL

Question: Removing Tomato Sauce Stains

What is the best way for removing a fresh tomato juice stain from clothing, before laundering? 100% cotton t-shirt (pink).

By AuntieBim from Hart Flat, CA

Most Recent Answer

By koolkat10/05/2011

After many attempts to remove tomato sauce stain from a white shirt, with Oxy Clean, bleach, Clorox2, Spray & Wash stick stain was still visible. The following day, I finally got it out after using the liquid dishwasher detergent with an ice cube, then blotting it with vinigar to get the stain out!! : ) My last attempt would have been to soak it with lemon juice put it in the sunlight.

Question: Tomato Sauce Stain on Pink Skirt and Sweater

I need help. I stained my new pink skirt and a matching sweater. I stained them with tomato sauce. Can anyone help me?

- KT

Most Recent Answer

By Barbara Preston04/05/2009

Wash garments and hang outside in the bright sunlight - always works!

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Removing Tomato Sauce Stains

Does anyone have a solution for removing tomato based stains (pasta sauce) on white clothing? I've tried removing as much of the stain by running cold water thru the stain and then soaking in bleach solution but it doesn't take all of the stain out.

Pat

"OXY-CLEAN"

There is a great product out there called "OXY-CLEAN". Get water as hot as you can, add a a scoop of oxyclean and soak over night! It works. I got out formula stains from my mother's baby clothes that are 48 years old! (11/30/2000)

By Julie

Sunlight

Regarding the tomato-type stains in white clothing, try setting the item out in the sun for a few hours or a day. The sunlight seems to absorb the stain. I always do this and it works! It was great when my kids were little and were always spilling food on themselves. Also, I do this when I have tomato sauce stains in my Tupperware or other type container. It takes the stain right out. (11/30/2000)

By Theresa

Paste of Salt

I'm not sure this will work after the stain is set in, but I've had a lot of luck using a paste of salt and baking soda. Just rub it into the stain and wash as usual. (11/30/2000)

By Martha

Shout

I got tomato stains on a new shirt while putting up tomatoes this summer. (I know, I shouldn't have been wearing the new shirt!)

Anyway, it got washed and DRIED before I even noticed the stain, which was kind of at the waist level. The shirt was cotton, blue plaid, so I couldn't bleach it. I used shout pre-wash and the first washing after that was visibly better. I didn't dry it again, but squirted shout on again and rewashed it. It took about eight times but the stain is completely gone. (11/30/2000)

By Becky S. from Cincinnati

Awesome

I read this looking the same solution, and there is a bottle of stain remover called "Awesome" that I can only find at the dollar store and it works on ANYTHING!

I also used some liquid dishwasher detergent (Cascade) and rubbed it into the stain. You might need to scrub it with your fingernails or an old toothbrush, but it worked wonderfully!

DON'T PUT IT ON COLORS THOUGH!(08/18/2005)

By mom2181

Sunlight

I recently had a tomato sauce stain and came to this post to get some help. I usually use OxiClean stain remover which works great on everything, except tomato sauce. I can report that using Cascade or other DishWasher liquid (I used Sunlight) I was able to get the stain out. It worked on my white shirt!!! I recommend doing it on dry clothes as it come out much easier than on wet, but be sure to only use on Whites as the stain fighters in the liquid can bleach out colors. (06/01/2006)

By Andrew

Ice Cube

I didn't read very well and I took the ice cube trick to be a way to remove tomato stains from clothes but I'll be darned it the ice cube trick didn't actually work on my daughter's new t-shirt! And laundry stain remover products didn't. And it took no time at all. Thanks for the awesome trick. Now if someone could tell me how to salvage the other t-shirt that the laundry product lightly bleached, but that's another story. (07/02/2006)

By Wendy

Dish Detergent and an Ice Cube

I used granulated Automatic dish detergent and an ice cube. It took some elbow grease but the tomato stain came out. Thanks (08/07/2006)

By Kelly

Beware of Bleach

BEWARE! In my haste to clean my stained shirt, I used my dishwasher detergent which apparently had Bleach as an ingredient. I ruined my shirt! So be careful! (09/23/2006)

By Hohead

Archive: Removing Tomato Sauce Stains

How to get tomato sauce out of a white jacket? I just got a white winter jacket for Christmas and have just recently acquired a huge stain all over it from someone throwing tomato sauce from a lunch kit on it. i don't believe I can use bleach because it will take away the weather proofing. what works, or what should i do?

James

RE: Removing Tomato Sauce Stains

The sun works best on tomato stains, as a previous poster said, and it is free! (01/17/2007)

By Joanieq

RE: Removing Tomato Sauce Stains

For tomato stains, try pouring boiling water over the stain (just not while you're wearing it!!!). My mom has used this for years with great success. (01/18/2007)

By Cresanna

RE: Removing Tomato Sauce Stains

There is a product called "Spray Nine" which can be purchased in most hardware stores. While it has cautions on the label against using it on material, I have been using it for upwards of 12 years on everything, without harm to any material and the removal of most stains, including gum, wine, tomato ketchup, magic marker (almost). The only thing I have not been able to remove with it is the pollen from the flower of my hibiscus bush on a white sweatshirt. In that case, I used "Oops! -- another product I could never live without. If you have concerns before trying it on your garment, may I suggest you put the same stain on a similar piece of scrap material first. Hope this helps! (02/26/2007)

By Margie

RE: Removing Tomato Sauce Stains

To remove the tomato stain right after it appears requires a two-part process. First cover the stain with talcum powder. Why? It lifts the oil out of the shirt. One hour later, brush off the powder and clean the shirt with Oxyclean or a common laundry detergent and you're done. (05/02/2007)

By FixitMan

Archive: Removing Tomato Sauce Stains

How do you get a tomato sauce stain out from a cotton dress? It is a week old. I have tried oxy clean, and other stain removers. It's very stubborn.