Removing Tomato Sauce Stains on Clothing

Don't panic when the tomato sauce drips on your clothing. This is a guide about removing tomato sauce stains on clothing.

June 26, 2013 Flag

I was folding clothes and found a tomato stain on my white shirt after it had been dried. I put Borax on it, hydrogen peroxide and bleach. After I bleached it, I soaked it in water for 10 minutes. You might need to dabble bleach on the area, at the max: 3 times. I put it out in the sunshine to dry and the stain disappeared!

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 20, 2004 Flag

I need help. I stained my new pink skirt and a matching sweater. I stained them with tomato sauce. Can anyone help me?

- KT

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Try DAWN dishwashing liquid. I use it on most of my food stains (I just keep a bottle in the laundry room). Put some on the stain and rub gently and wash as usual.

The important thing with stains is don't put the items through the dryer until the stains are gone.

Oxiclean or an oxygen cleaner works well on tomato stains, as does Dawn, Shout or other stain removers. White vinegar and salt also can remove stains. Hydrogen peroxide is another good stain remover although it can bleach the fabric.

Treat the stains with ONE of these cleaners, let it sit a while, then run through the washer. If there is still a stain, try another. Don't use them all at once because you can set up chemical reactions!

Once you put the items through the dryer though it sets the stains and they can be impossible to remove.

Most stains can be removed with patience and some trial and error.

Try toothpaste, we used crest whitening, but I think any kind works. If the garment has been put in the dryer then I am not sure if it will work then, but worth a try.

try using rubbing alcohol $1.00 or less at the store if that does not work try using peroxide the kind you use for cuts and scrapes also less than a dollar, pour a small amount over the stain let it sit for about 5-10 minutes rub with a soft toothbrush or rub it together wash as you normally would it should come out if not take to a local dry cleaner they may be able to help

Inside tomato sauce is corn syrup that will lock on to your clothes use shout spray, it will go away super fast.

June 4, 2008 Flag

How do I get a lasagna stain out my nice pink duvet cover that my dear darling daughter managed to do.

Theresa from Scotland

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Spray-n-Wash! But, it has to be the aerosol not the pump. It just works beter for some reason. I have four boys and can't imagin what they would look like if I didn't use it. Red clay, tomato sauces, all types of automotive fluids and oil, blood, grease, ect... I mean it, that stuff works. Just becarful with it on silk, it can damage it, but, that is the only problem I've found with it. I even used it on swade and it came out perfect. People who know me, know I will try washing anything once to avoid paying a cleaner.

I just realized you are in Scotland. I lived there for some time and know you may have a hard time if not impossible time finding "Spray-n-Wash". Sorry, my post was probably of no help.

Theresa, You can make your own stain remover by using equal amounts of clear ammonia, water, and Dawn dish detergent. Another dish detergent may work, but I have found that Dawn is best for removing grease from any surface.

Place all of the ingredients into a spray bottle, shake well, and spray onto the stain liberally. Allow it to sit for 10 to 15 minutes before washing the duvet cover. Check to be certain that it is completely clean before drying and if it isn't reapply the stain remover and try using a small toothbrush to ease out the rest of the stain. Good luck and God bless.

April 28, 2009 Flag

What is the best way for removing a fresh tomato juice stain from clothing, before laundering? 100% cotton t-shirt (pink).

By AuntieBim from Hart Flat, CA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I always use Palmolive Dish Soap and the hottest water you can use for the fabric for any "food stains."

Just put Palmolive directly on the spot and wash as usual. It should come right out.

After many attempts to remove tomato sauce stain from a white shirt, with Oxy Clean, bleach, Clorox2, Spray & Wash stick stain was still visible. The following day, I finally got it out after using the liquid dishwasher detergent with an ice cube, then blotting it with vinigar to get the stain out!! : ) My last attempt would have been to soak it with lemon juice put it in the sunlight.

April 4, 2010 Flag

How do you get tomato based liquid out of white clothing?

By Dolly from Clearwater, FL

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 30, 2007 Flag

How to get tomato sauce out of a white jacket? I just got a white winter jacket for Christmas and have just recently acquired a huge stain all over it from someone throwing tomato sauce from a lunch kit on it. i don't believe I can use bleach because it will take away the weather proofing. what works, or what should i do?

James

Answers:

Removing Tomato Sauce Stains

The sun works best on tomato stains, as a previous poster said, and it is free! (01/17/2007)

By Joanieq

Removing Tomato Sauce Stains

For tomato stains, try pouring boiling water over the stain (just not while you're wearing it!!!). My mom has used this for years with great success. (01/18/2007)

By Cresanna

Removing Tomato Sauce Stains

There is a product called "Spray Nine" which can be purchased in most hardware stores. While it has cautions on the label against using it on material, I have been using it for upwards of 12 years on everything, without harm to any material and the removal of most stains, including gum, wine, tomato ketchup, magic marker (almost). The only thing I have not been able to remove with it is the pollen from the flower of my hibiscus bush on a white sweatshirt. In that case, I used "Oops! -- another product I could never live without. If you have concerns before trying it on your garment, may I suggest you put the same stain on a similar piece of scrap material first. Hope this helps! (02/26/2007)

By Margie

Removing Tomato Sauce Stains

To remove the tomato stain right after it appears requires a two-part process. First cover the stain with talcum powder. Why? It lifts the oil out of the shirt. One hour later, brush off the powder and clean the shirt with Oxyclean or a common laundry detergent and you're done.

(05/02/2007)

By FixitMan

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Oxiclean contains hydrogen peroxide so you can just use Oxiclean for cleaning laundry etc where hydrogen peroxide is recommended. You can find it available at grocery, hardware stores, etc. I was reading that hydrogen peroxide was best for cleaning the deck and doesn't damage plants. Could not find it in large enough amounts for the deck any where so I researched further and found that Oxiclean is reputed to be composed of about 60% sodium percarbonate. The percarbonate anion is basically a 1:1 mixture of carbonate anion ((CO3)2-, the active ingredient in washing soda) and hydrogen peroxide (H2O2). When it is dissolved in water it creates a solution containing both carbonate and H2O2.May 21, 2013

January 16, 2007 Flag

Does anyone have a solution for removing tomato based stains (pasta sauce) on white clothing? I've tried removing as much of the stain by running cold water thru the stain and then soaking in bleach solution but it doesn't take all of the stain out.

Pat

Answers:

"OXY-CLEAN"

There is a great product out there called "OXY-CLEAN". Get water as hot as you can, add a a scoop of oxyclean and soak over night! It works. I got out formula stains from my mother's baby clothes that are 48 years old! (11/30/2000)

By Julie

Sunlight

Regarding the tomato-type stains in white clothing, try setting the item out in the sun for a few hours or a day. The sunlight seems to absorb the stain. I always do this and it works! It was great when my kids were little and were always spilling food on themselves. Also, I do this when I have tomato sauce stains in my Tupperware or other type container. It takes the stain right out. (11/30/2000)

By Theresa

Paste of Salt

I'm not sure this will work after the stain is set in, but I've had a lot of luck using a paste of salt and baking soda. Just rub it into the stain and wash as usual. (11/30/2000)

By Martha

Shout

I got tomato stains on a new shirt while putting up tomatoes this summer. (I know, I shouldn't have been wearing the new shirt!)

Anyway, it got washed and DRIED before I even noticed the stain, which was kind of at the waist level. The shirt was cotton, blue plaid, so I couldn't bleach it. I used shout pre-wash and the first washing after that was visibly better. I didn't dry it again, but squirted shout on again and rewashed it. It took about eight times but the stain is completely gone. (11/30/2000)

By Becky S. from Cincinnati

Awesome

I read this looking the same solution, and there is a bottle of stain remover called "Awesome" that I can only find at the dollar store and it works on ANYTHING!

I also used some liquid dishwasher detergent (Cascade) and rubbed it into the stain. You might need to scrub it with your fingernails or an old toothbrush, but it worked wonderfully!

DON'T PUT IT ON COLORS THOUGH!(08/18/2005)

By mom2181

Sunlight

I recently had a tomato sauce stain and came to this post to get some help. I usually use OxiClean stain remover which works great on everything, except tomato sauce. I can report that using Cascade or other DishWasher liquid (I used Sunlight) I was able to get the stain out. It worked on my white shirt!!! I recommend doing it on dry clothes as it come out much easier than on wet, but be sure to only use on Whites as the stain fighters in the liquid can bleach out colors. (06/01/2006)

By Andrew

Ice Cube

I didn't read very well and I took the ice cube trick to be a way to remove tomato stains from clothes but I'll be darned it the ice cube trick didn't actually work on my daughter's new t-shirt! And laundry stain remover products didn't. And it took no time at all. Thanks for the awesome trick. Now if someone could tell me how to salvage the other t-shirt that the laundry product lightly bleached, but that's another story. (07/02/2006)

By Wendy

Dish Detergent and an Ice Cube

I used granulated Automatic dish detergent and an ice cube. It took some elbow grease but the tomato stain came out. Thanks (08/07/2006)

By Kelly

Beware of Bleach

BEWARE! In my haste to clean my stained shirt, I used my dishwasher detergent which apparently had Bleach as an ingredient. I ruined my shirt! So be careful! (09/23/2006)

By Hohead

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Help I stained my brand new shirt yesterday and I washed it 5 times. I was eating lunch and by hot pocket dripped out red sauce. I tried oxyclean but It would not work what should I do?

April 28, 2009 Flag

How do you get a tomato sauce stain out from a cotton dress? It is a week old. I have tried oxy clean, and other stain removers. It's very stubborn.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Cleaning Clothing StainsNovember 6, 2012
Peanut Sauce Recipes, Pork satay with peanut sauce dip.
Peanut Sauce Recipes
Chopsticks Picking up Piece of Teriyaki Chicken
Homemade Teriyaki Sauce Recipes
Homemade pizaa sauce.
Pizza Sauce Recipes
Man Holding Burger with Mustard Stain on his Tie
Removing Mustard Stains from Clothing
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 24, 2017 at 12:49:50 AM on 10.0.1.11 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.