Browsing: Removing Wallpaper

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Removing Wallpaper

Old wallpaper can be a stubborn material to remove. This guide is about removing wallpaper.

June 10, 2008 Flag

I decided to finally re-do the kid's bathroom after finding a great bargain at a yard sale for a bathroom set. The bathroom had really ugly wallpaper and border on the wall. It was stuck on there good and tight - 2 layers in fact!

I filled a spray bottle (new one from Dollar Tree) with an equal mix of water and white vinegar. I sprayed the wall paper and used a pan scraper and started peeling. It took the paper off quickly and without much work. I thought I would share this as a safe, environmentally friendly and, best of all, super cheap - less then $1 for a large bottle of vinegar. I was able to do the entire bathroom for less then $1!

By Betsy from Hernando, MS

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Great idea -- I've spent a few too many dollars on the wallpaper removal sprays. Will try this next time. Here's an article about using water and rollers. Could do the trick as well.

http://www.oldh  iled/10239.shtml

April 25, 2016 Flag

Removing wallpaper with a scraper.

CommentPin It!Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

This is a guide about repairing drywall after wallpaper removal. After removing wallpaper, the walls will need cleaning and perhaps some repair, prior to painting or whatever your next wall treatment will be.

December 6, 2010 Flag

I tried everything to remove my hard to get off wallpaper, before I discovered this trick - heated vinegar. The wall paper will still have to be pulled off, but the sticky glue paper comes off easily, as the vinegar will loosen the glue. Spray and scrap off with a metal paint scraper.

By Ruthie from RedCreek, NY

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 8, 2009 Flag

When removing wallpaper use Downy fabric softener and hot water put in spray bottle. Spray walls and watch for it to bubble; then it comes right off. It is the best thing to use!

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 17, 2011 Flag

I just finished taking off wallpaper border in my kitchen and it started out to be quite a job until my son lent me his clothes steamer. I finished with that and it made quick work of it.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 16, 2017 Flag

Is possible to remove wallpaper that has been put on over vinyl gypsum board so I can paint the vinyl board and what issues will I be facing?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I would put slits in the wallpaper with a razor blade. Then I would soak the wallpaper with hot water. Peel off carefully. Then wash walls to remove all traces of glue. It's a time-consuming job.

September 12, 2016 Flag

I have just purchased a manufactured home that has pre-printed drywall that was wallpapered over and is all wrinkled. I need to paint and remove wallpaper without destroying the drywall. The paper is glued on. Can someone please help! Thank you.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

YOU can remove the old wallpaper: "Use a scoring tool to create holes in the wallpaper. Use a spray bottle to soak the paper. Spray water into the slits so it can work its way behind the covering. Wait about 10 minutes and then scrape off the paper with a putty knife."

https://www.low … allpaper/project

October 6, 2010 Flag

What is the best way to take off very old wallpaper? It is the paper thin kind used back over 30-40 yrs ago. My house is over 165 yrs old and every room has that crappy wallpaper. I am taking it down. In some places there is like 3 layers of it.

By Tara73 from East Brunswick, NJ

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You should be very cautious about removing paper in a home of that age. Walls were made differently and you may be getting into a very expensive project such as hanging wall board over lath wood and uneven plaster. Good luck.

April 4, 2013 Flag

We have lived here ten years and the blue cow wallpaper was here when we bought the house. It was past time to say goodbye to the cows. I started peeling the wallpaper off my kitchen and it peeled off easily in large pieces. Once all the cows were gone most areas are still covered with a very thin yellowish paper (as thin as tissue paper) all over the walls. I can peel small pieces off in some areas, but most areas seem to be stuck on good. What is the next way to remove this? I appreciate any and all info that can help me in this project.

By Shell S

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

The paper under the paper is wallpaper liner. It's meant to give a smooth surface to apply the decorator paper onto. There are several ways to get this liner off, including:

Use a commercial stripping solution product like Dif. Dif sometimes comes with a scoring device that sort of looks like a computer mouse, it has a roller in the underside that pokes small holes in the paper and permits better penetration of the stripping solution. Pricey but works rather well. You can purchase the scoring tool separately and it would be a good assist if you decide to use the homemade methods. Amazing product, the paper melts off the walls.

I've heard of the Downy and water mix but have never tried it. People who use it say it works great but I never use fabric softeners, lol, so I've never had it on hand to try.

But I (and most people) always have a huge jug of white vinegar! Mix vinegar and hot water half and half in a spray bottle and spray onto the paper in small patches. Wait a few minutes for the vinegar to eat into the adhesive then wipe. This method works well but takes a lot of time and elbow grease.

January 24, 2014 Flag

I need to give my kitchen a new look, but my kitchen has about 2-3 different wallpapers on it. My friend came to help me remove it and when I came back from getting some lunch my friend had a layer of mud on 90% of the kitchen. What do I do?

By Matt

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You didn't say what the "mud" was. If she/he was just removing it, there wouldn't have been any of the wallpaper glue that some call "mud". So I am confused. Can you clarify?

June 22, 2016 Flag

The previous owners wallpapered over the vinyl walls and then ripped some off, down to the gypsum board underneath the vinyl without removal products. Should I use wallpaper removal products? How do I make the ripped area even? Right now it's only in a smaller bathroom, but they wallpapered the kitchen too. It is peeling, but I have been reluctant to begin removal without asking questions. I have successfully painted over vinyl walls that had not been papered and am satisfied with results.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 28, 2011 Flag

How much water to how much softener do I use for wall paper removal?

By Sheila from Virginia Beach, VA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

A good tool to use is one which scores the wallpaper before spraying your solution. This can be found in most wallpaper depts. Sorry I can't recall the name. It fit easily in your hand as it was round. You used it in a circular motion. If you have a lot of paper to remove put a sheet of plastic, or old sheet on the floor. This will contain all the mess. Keep a big garbage can in reach for the big pieces. Good luck.

April 22, 2012 Flag

How do I remove 15 year old wallpaper border? I tried the commercial presoak gel, but it is brutally slow to peel off. I tried scoring the paper with a sharp knife as recommended, but it doesn't help much.

By Pat M

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Try fabric softener thinned with a little warm water in a spray bottle or in a bucket and use a car washing sponge. Saturate the paper let it set 30 minutes? Scrape off with a putty knife. You may have to do it more than once.

March 14, 2011 Flag

How do you remove wallpaper border?

By Corky Wolf

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

It depends on the type of wallpaper, the kind of wallpaper with the glue already on it can be removed easily by wetting it down well. It will slide right off.

If it is the kind that has paste applied, then you might need to use a steamer. You can buy a small gadget that you roll over the paper and it puts small slits in it, then all you have to do is steam it and it will come off easily with a dull scraper.

After removing the paper, be sure to wash the wall well with hot soapy water, rinse, and dry before you paint or put up different paper.

November 21, 2010 Flag

I attempted to remove a wallpaper border that was applied to drywall that only had a thin coat of paint on it. The drywall was peeling off with the border in small pieces so I ended up bordering over that border and now 5 years later I really want it off.

I now have to remove two borders and I am not looking forward to it! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I tried all of the home remedies, steamer, and store bought products when trying to remove the first border, so maybe I should just leave it and cover it with some sort of wood trim that I can paint. Cost is a major issue so crown molding is not an option as it's a very large kitchen. Any suggestions? Thanks.

By Chris from Ontario

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I had good luck, using a hairdryer. Wet the border with hot water, using a spray bottle. Let the wet border set for a while, then take the hairdryer and direct it on the border. Scrape and pull on the border. It should start to come off in strips!

October 18, 2010 Flag

How do I strip plastic wallpaper?

By Vincent from Dublin, Ireland

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If you click on some of the links on this page, you will find some great tips on removing wallpaper. But I want to add that with plastic (or vinyl) wallpaper, sometimes the wallpaper comes off but a coating of glue or plastic remains. If that happens, you will have to remove that layer also, so it could be twice the work.

April 28, 2012 Flag

How do I remove 5 layers of old wall paper from walls, without using a steamer?

By Donna

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Try fabric softener thinned with a little water and a spray bottle or mix in a bucket and use car washing sponge to saturate the paper. let it set until it begins to scrape off with a putty knife. I would suggest a little half and half to start. Patience and diligence!

January 19, 2012 Flag

I have striped the wall paper off 3 of 4 walls, but one entire wall has proven to be stubborn. I can't seem to remove any of the wallpaper (at all) from this one wall. I have tried D.I.F, vinegar, and dish soap, but nothing I try seems to work. Can anyone help?

By Jim

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Oh wow, if Diff hasn't worked, about the only thing left to try is steaming. There are machines especially for steaming off wallpaper, you can rent or buy one and try it-make sure the material your wall is made of can handle steam. If your walls are a thin membrane of sheet rock, 1/4", for example, they might melt.

I think if I were doing this job I'd have quit after the Diff didn't work.

You can 'feather and fill' the patches of wallpaper that won't strip, and simply paint over the top of it. I've done that a couple of times and have been pleased with the results.

June 2, 2011 Flag

How much Dawn do you put in the spray bottle?

By M. Gross

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You really don't need to use Dawn or any other cleaner. My husband used to do painting/papering & all they used was hot water in a spray bottle. Let it soak a bit & peel. Then we just took a sponge with clean water & washed it down.

January 5, 2015 Flag

I tried to use a steamer, it just makes a sticky mess and I have to wait a very long time for it to soften the wallpaper. Is there a quicker way of getting this done? I have only done this once before, in the living room and it was much easier! I am really tired of looking at my horrible bathroom walls, help! Thank you.

By Issy

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 24, 2014 Flag

The border is vinyl and it sticks to your fingers in small pieces and you cannot get off your fingers.

By R Pearsall

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 28, 2011 Flag

How much Downy to how much water do I use for wallpaper removal?

By Julie from Griswold, IA

Answers:

Wallpaper Removal

I've always used DIF and one thing to note is that you need to spray it on for 10 to 15 minutes, but don't leave it on too long or it dries out and you've just wasted the product.
http://www.oldhouseweb.com/how-to-advice/stripping-wallpaper.shtml
(02/23/2010)

By Allison5

Wallpaper Removal

Try half water and half Downy. You have to leave it set for a bit before you start scraping though. (02/26/2010)

By Laniegirl

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

December 6, 2010 Flag

How do I easily remove wallpaper border?

By Janet from Valdosta, GA

Answers:

Removing Wallpaper

I fill a spray bottle half full of warm water and fill the rest of the way with a cheap brand of fabric softener. Spray on paper in sheets, leave on 15-20 minutes, it will pull off the entire sheet of paper. If you have vinyl coated paper you will need to slice through at intervals and then spray so the liquid can seep to the back. Good luck. (06/09/2010)

By yoder178

Removing Wallpaper

I have used warm water and white vinegar, measured half and half in a spray bottle. I put down a drop cloth and simply sprayed the wall, let it set about 5 minutes. I'd get a corner at the top and it pulled off in one piece. I kept the paper and when it was dry again, I recycled it.

My kitchen cabinets had an insert in the door instead of a full panel. I took the insert out wet the wall paper and put it on it with a wet rag. I then put the insert back, tacked it back up with small tacks. I had "new" refaced cabinets! My friends all loved the idea! (06/09/2010)

By Shelyn

Removing Wallpaper

I just removed a border that has been up for 9 years. I used a spray bottle of 50/50 vinegar and warm water with a little bit of Dawn dish soap and it worked great! (11/04/2010)

By ffshoe

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 21, 2010 Flag

You have requests on how to remove painted wallpaper. We have found that steaming the walls, once you have a start at removal with a tool, does a good job. It is possible to rent a portable steamer. We have tried chemicals, but steam seems to do the job faster, and with less negative results.

By rosebudml from Sarasota, FL

Answers:

Removing Stubborn Wallpaper

Before you apply steam. There is a tool you can buy or possibly rent that looks like a miniature pizza slicer with a jagged blade that you roll all over the wallpaper 1st to "score" it. This does not harm the wall, but it punctures tiny holes in the paper that allows the water or products to saturate the paper more efficiently. Steaming is the best method I have found. I have done this several times. I rented the steamer (looks like a huge old metal iron) and tool at Ace Hardware Rentals. It was so worth it in the end. Some paper comes off with out to much trouble, but it sounds like you might need to use this method for sure. (02/11/2010)

By MissCre8tive

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Load More
Home and Garden Home Improvement WallpaperAugust 30, 2012
Removing wallpaper with a scraper.
Repairing Drywall After Wallpaper Removal
Blue and white retro wallpaper.
Cleaning Wallpaper
Removing Wallpaper That Has Been Painted, Gloved hand scraping off wallpaper.
Removing Wallpaper That Has Been Painted
Painting Over Wallpaper, Vintage Peeling Wallaper
Painting Over Wallpaper
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 28, 2017 at 3:18:33 AM on 10.0.0.67 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.