Browsing: Removing Wrinkles from Curtains and Drapes

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Removing Wrinkles from Curtains and Drapes

It is disappointing to open the packaging containing your new curtains to find them creased and wrinkled. Not all drapes can be washed and dried to remove the wrinkles. This is a guide about removing wrinkles from curtains and drapes.

Light colored drapes.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

November 7, 2013 Flag

How do you recommend that someone remove the wrinkles from drapes out of a package? They are made from 100% polyester with an acrylic binder.

By LKW from Hempstead, TX

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Put a damp towel in the dryer with the curtains on permanent press.

I would wash them because all new items have finishing products in them to give them that crisp new look & feel. They are chemicals you don't want in your home for your family to be breathing. I work in a store & sometimes when new products are being stocked, the fumes will give me a migraine. The smells are very strong.

January 18, 2012 Flag

What is the best way to get wrinkles from packaging out of new crushed voile window panels? I don't want to iron them since they are the crushed material, but there are some deep wrinkles from the packaging. Would just washing and hanging damp work?

By dwutz

Yes, you can wash them, but they will lose their wrinkles best if you put them in the dryer after they are washed. If you don't have a dryer, it won't hurt to iron them. Just use a lower heat and some steam. The "crushed" effect won't iron out.

You can tumble the panels in the dryer with a towel that has been wet and rung out so it's not dripping. Tumble on the lowest heat setting. You can do this with the new panels, which should then be wrinkle free. No laundering needed. This has worked for me. Hope it helps you.

my drapes are dry clean only

February 7, 2008 Flag

I bought brand new permanently crushed curtains. Why? One, they are gorgeous and two you never have to iron them! I do not iron. However, being packaged they have some lines in them. I tried wrinkle remover, no good. I tried hot steamy shower, no good. And no, I don't have a travel steamer thing. Can someone suggest something? I am at quite the loss. I draped all the panels over a door for few days, but they didn't come out. Any advice? Thanks.

Kathy from Phila, PA

Have you tried washing them in cold water, delicate cycle then putting them in the dryer just till they get warm? Pull them out and hang them and they should stay wrinkle free.

Hi, I bought gorgeous green "crushed" curtains and had the same problem. I put them in the delicate cycle, both wash/dry and they still had the fold line. I iron so, I laid out the damp curtain on the ironing board, set the iron to its lowest setting {careful not burn} for steam and lightly skimmed the surface. The only other way that I can advise is to hang them with some kind of weight in the hem. Good luck!

I'm a single mom that doesn't have time to iron. We have found "Downy Wrinkle Release" you just spray it on, tug out the wrinkles and let dry. WORKS WONDERFULLY! My kids even use it so they don't have to iron.

Good Luck

Wash your curtains and hang them wet. They will dry and pull out any wrinkles or creases.

March 26, 2011 Flag

I just bought some new drapes, they are grommeted at the top, and made of 100% cotton and are lined. The directions say to iron very little or not at all on the fabric side. They arrived in a very wrinkled state. Can I use a fabric steamer on them or would that cause shrinkage? I have never used a steamer before.

By Marcie from Prairie du Sac, WI

The best way to remove the wrinkles would not be to iron them. It sounds like you could very easily ruin them. Instead get some fishing weights, Take an old nylon and put the weights inside. Spread them out evenly along the length of the nylon and tie a knot between each to keep them separated. Then safety pin the nylon to the back side hem of the curtain, putting a safety pin at each weight.

Then hang the curtains as usual and take a steamer and steam the curtains till they are good and damp as if they had just come out of the spin cycle from the washer. Let them hang that way till dry. The weights will pull the wrinkles out.

If you don't have a steamer you can take a spray bottle and spray them till they are good and damp. Again, spray till they are damp like they had just come out of the spin cycle.

They will most likely "iron" themselves out by hanging. You can put some water in a spray bottle and spray until damp. Smooth out with clean hands and let gravity do the rest.

Home and Garden Home Improvement Decorating CurtainsAugust 18, 2013
Hanging Curtains With Pleat Hooks
Hanging Curtains
Measuring Windows for New Curtains, Gold colored curtains and white sheers hanging on a wondow.
Measuring Windows for New Curtains
Altering Curtains
Tips for Altering Curtains
Window Sheers
Removing Wrinkles from Sheers
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 8, 2016 at 4:10:22 PM on 10.0.0.189 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.