Repairing Couch Springs

Category Sofas
Over time the springs in your couch can break or become compressed resulting in a sagging couch. You can buy a new couch, or perhaps you can save a lot of money and simply repair the worn springs. This is a guide about repairing couch springs.

I stepped on my loveseat cushion and felt a string or something catch. Now the cushion won't come back into the original position. What can I do? This is on a leather loveseat. Thank you!

Is this the type of cushion you can unzip? Does it have buttons in it that are tacked down with string? Need a bit more info or perhaps a picture?

If you cannot unzip the cushions, you may have to turn the couch upside down and remove the staples on the bottom to get to the springs in the cushion and see what's going on.

Anonymous

No, I cannot unzip the cushions; the cushions are sewn together. I haven't turned it over to see if it has strings, or springs. I felt like strings breaking when I stepped on it. The cushion went way down and something snapped.

The vertical spring broke on a antique chair. How can I repair or buy a new vertical coil?

By DMH

It would help if we knew the make, age, style, etc., of the chair.

Have you considered talking to people at furniture repair shops? Re-upholsterers? They may have old parts.

I have a vintage couch and chair that I would love to pass on to someone who will restore them. They have excellent lines and bones, they do, however, need to be recovered and the springs repaired. Any suggestions? I have tried calling upholstery places to no avail and the same with restoration places.

have you tried listing it on Craigslist or Kijijji? perhaps there is a local buy and sell group in your area?

I have a not-so-old (5 years) but clearly not-so-good-quality sofa on which the springs have lost their tautness. These are low quality S-springs. Is it worth getting the sofa "resprung"? Anybody know how much that tends to cost (3-seater) - as much as buying a new set of furniture? Apart from the springs it's in great shape, and there is a matching loveseat which has no problems at all, so it's a bit of a shame to have to junk the whole set on account of the one set of springs.

Thanks ever so much.

Adrienne from DC

To Jim Sherman and others,

I have some extra 55 cm s-springs I ordered through a connection in Hong Kong. I'm happy to sell them to you at cost, plus shipping.

See this link:

http://www.made  rt-for-Sofa.html

Well I have tried the seat saver deal that goes under the cushions but It doesn't work. Yeah, it is only about $20 but it only works for about a month and then it gets all bent out of shape. I am the only one that usually uses the couch so putting too much weight on it isn't the problem. I'm going to have to find some other way to fix it or get a new one even thought it's only 3 years old.

I have a 65-70 year old couch, that has been in the family since I was little. I am attached to it, but my kids think I should get rid of it and buy a new one. I can't afford that, I just want to repair it. It sags alarmingly. I think I need to replace the coil springs as well as the s shaped springs. Is there a video or book with instructions for this? I had it reupholstered about 10 years ago, so it is acceptable, though it could use it again, but that will wait till I have the money.

By Greg F.

Get a book from library on DIY upholstering.

I found two large springs under my Lazy Boy sofa sleeper and am uncertain where they go on the sleeper. Any help would be appreciated.

By Kathy C. from Logansport, IN

You can contact the manufacturer, store where purchased, etc., for help.

I have an old sofa that is worn out and should be replaced, but I cannot afford it at this time. Besides, my entire family loves this sofa, as it is very comfortable. However, one of the springs has sprung apparently. If you sit down on this one section you sink down too far.

Is there a way to shore this up that is not too difficult or expensive? I am a single mom on a limited budget. Kathy Y.

Most of the time these springs are an "s" style spring.

If you turn the couch over you should be able to remove the bottom cover (if it's even still there) and see the spring. It is generally not difficult to remove the spring and buy a replacement from a local upholstry shop, but in a pinch, use a couple coathangers bent to match the spring. then using some bailing wire(a whopping $1.00 a roll at a local hardware store)you simply "splint" the springs with the hangers. It's ugly but when you flip it back over... no one knows but you

I have used plywood and it really does work, and makes a very firm base for your cushions. Wanted to say that I re-covered my sofa and two easy chairs last winter. It is amazing what you can do with a staple gun, upholsery tacks and a hot glue gun. They look like new. Try it--it will give you a great lift!

We had the same problem with an old sofa. It was a hide-a-bed, though. If yours is too, you might try what we did. My husband tightly (very tightly) wrapped those canvas moviing belts many times around and around the folded bed frame. You could no longer use the bed, but we seldom did anyway. The moiving belts have just the tiniest "give" to them, and the couch was very comfortable and didn't sink in anymore. I would probably still have this 20-year-old couch to this day, but finally I got the old man to spring for a new one!

My heavy husband fell onto our circa 1970's sturdy, oak couch and flattened out a hook that holds one of the S curve springs taut. We'd like to get it back together, as it's a very solid couch and we really need to have it back in order. The hook is probably not repairable, as it was made to hold a very strong spring taut and so bending it back is likely to break it. What can we do to repair it as closely to it's original strength as possible?

By nekocat from OR

If you take the original hook to a machine shop they should be able to make a new one for a modest sum. Try a smaller business first. I have had several small plastic hooks made in metal for the closet organizer when the plastic ones gave out.

You might also try your local Ace Hardware store. See what kinds of pre-fab S-hooks they have. With a heavy hubby, you might need something pretty heavy-duty, pardon the pun! I was once married to a man whose weight ballooned to nearly 400 pounds, so I know the embarrassment of hubby breaking furniture! One of my most mortifying moments was when the man sat in a friend's office chair and broke it.

I have a Broyhill sofa and the cushions are extremely lumpy. Are there any fixes for this?

By Veronica B.

Can anyone direct me to find a manual or videotape that can teach me to retie springs in the seats and back of a couch.

Robert

I would go to the library, and ask them if they have any books or videos that could provide you with helpful information.

Many times, if your library doesn't have what you are looking for, another library will "lend" them what you need, and you can check it out.

Hi Robert:

I sent this on to a friend that was an upholsterer. Here is what he said

"I did a search on Amazon.com for books on Furniture Upholstery and came up with a big list.

I'm not familiar with any of them but there are several that should show one how to tie springs. It isn't an easy chore since the method can vary from one piece of furniture to another. I wasn't comfortable tackling a new spring tying job even after two years of classes on upholstery at the Voc Tech.

Maybe Mr. Kline can take that list of books to his local library to see if they have any of them."

Hope this helps,

Susan from ThriftyFun

The best book I found is "Singer Upholstery Basics." It is very well written and has many detailed pictures.

How do we fix the springs that have come off the couch frame?

By Pattier from Costa Mesa, CA

I put a sheet of plywood under the cushions on my couch.

My sofa apparently has a broken spring. It make a loud noise when you get up from sitting on it. I want to repair the sofa and stop this noise. Any suggestions?

By Bob from Evergreen, CO

Most of the time these springs are an "s" style spring. If you turn the couch over you should be able to remove the bottom cover (if it's even still there) and see the spring. It is generally not difficult to remove the spring and buy a replacement from a local upholstery shop, but in a pinch, use a couple coat hangers bent to match the spring. then using some bailing wire(a whopping $1.00 a roll at a local hardware store) you simply "splint" the springs with the hangers. It's ugly but when you flip it back over. No one knows but you, good luck.

By Pattier from Costa Mesa, CA