Repairing Couch Springs

Over time the springs in your couch can break or become compressed resulting in a sagging couch. You can buy a new couch, or perhaps you can save a lot of money and simply repair the worn springs. This is a guide about repairing couch springs.

Filter Sort

Question: Is Replacing The Springs On a Sofa Worth It?

By Adrienne 1

I have a not-so-old (5 years) but clearly not-so-good-quality sofa on which the springs have lost their tautness. These are low quality S-springs. Is it worth getting the sofa "resprung"? Anybody know how much that tends to cost (3-seater) - as much as buying a new set of furniture? Apart from the springs it's in great shape, and there is a matching loveseat which has no problems at all, so it's a bit of a shame to have to junk the whole set on account of the one set of springs.

Thanks ever so much.

Adrienne from DC

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Carrie 2 351 Flag

The thing about springs, I have always thought, is that they are 15th century technology.

Futons are better support, but the cushion design doesn't match--more like spring sofas.

Maybe a combination of futon frame and memory foam fillings (If you don't want to pop for down) are the way to go.

Any other ideas?

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Old Sofa With a Bad Spring

By Kathryn Aqua 1 3

I have an old sofa that is worn out and should be replaced, but I cannot afford it at this time. Besides, my entire family loves this sofa, as it is very comfortable. However, one of the springs has sprung apparently. If you sit down on this one section you sink down too far.

Is there a way to shore this up that is not too difficult or expensive? I am a single mom on a limited budget. Kathy Y.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

I also have a sagging couch. I decided to try and repair it myself, although I haven't done it yet I have order what I need. Go to www.perfectproductsonline.com they seem to have everything a do it yourselfer would need to do the job.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Tying Springs in a Couch

By Robert D Kline 2

Can anyone direct me to find a manual or videotape that can teach me to retie springs in the seats and back of a couch.

Robert

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

The best book I found is "Singer Upholstery Basics." It is very well written and has many detailed pictures.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Repairing an Antique Chair

The vertical spring broke on a antique chair. How can I repair or buy a new vertical coil?

By DMH

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Rose Anne Hutchence 7 269 Flag

Have you considered talking to people at furniture repair shops? Re-upholsterers? They may have old parts.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Repairing Spring Hook on Couch

By Cornelia 45 72

My heavy husband fell onto our circa 1970's sturdy, oak couch and flattened out a hook that holds one of the S curve springs taut. We'd like to get it back together, as it's a very solid couch and we really need to have it back in order. The hook is probably not repairable, as it was made to hold a very strong spring taut and so bending it back is likely to break it. What can we do to repair it as closely to it's original strength as possible?

By nekocat from OR

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Lelia Jo Cordell 51 1,936 Flag

You might also try your local Ace Hardware store. See what kinds of pre-fab S-hooks they have. With a heavy hubby, you might need something pretty heavy-duty, pardon the pun! I was once married to a man whose weight ballooned to nearly 400 pounds, so I know the embarrassment of hubby breaking furniture! One of my most mortifying moments was when the man sat in a friend's office chair and broke it.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Repairing a Vintage Couch and Chair

By Lenora C. 1

I have a vintage couch and chair that I would love to pass on to someone who will restore them. They have excellent lines and bones, they do, however, need to be recovered and the springs repaired. Any suggestions? I have tried calling upholstery places to no avail and the same with restoration places.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Cinnamon C. 21 Flag

have you tried listing it on Craigslist or Kijijji? perhaps there is a local buy and sell group in your area?

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Replacing the Springs on an Old Couch

I have a 65-70 year old couch, that has been in the family since I was little. I am attached to it, but my kids think I should get rid of it and buy a new one. I can't afford that, I just want to repair it. It sags alarmingly. I think I need to replace the coil springs as well as the s shaped springs. Is there a video or book with instructions for this? I had it reupholstered about 10 years ago, so it is acceptable, though it could use it again, but that will wait till I have the money.

By Greg F.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By PENNY K 14 564 Flag

Get a book from library on DIY upholstering.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Repairing Springs on Sofa Bed

I found two large springs under my Lazy Boy sofa sleeper and am uncertain where they go on the sleeper. Any help would be appreciated.

By Kathy C. from Logansport, IN

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By DCA 4 1,354 Flag

You can contact the manufacturer, store where purchased, etc., for help.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Repairing Couch Springs

By Pattie Parker 2

How do we fix the springs that have come off the couch frame?

By Pattier from Costa Mesa, CA

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Tammie 32 63 Flag

I put a sheet of plywood under the cushions on my couch.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Repairing a Sofa Spring

By Bob Donelson 1

My sofa apparently has a broken spring. It make a loud noise when you get up from sitting on it. I want to repair the sofa and stop this noise. Any suggestions?

By Bob from Evergreen, CO

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By kathleen williams 76 1,661 Flag

Most of the time these springs are an "s" style spring. If you turn the couch over you should be able to remove the bottom cover (if it's even still there) and see the spring. It is generally not difficult to remove the spring and buy a replacement from a local upholstery shop, but in a pinch, use a couple coat hangers bent to match the spring. then using some bailing wire(a whopping $1.00 a roll at a local hardware store) you simply "splint" the springs with the hangers. It's ugly but when you flip it back over. No one knows but you, good luck.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Fixing Lumpy Sofa Cushions

I have a Broyhill sofa and the cushions are extremely lumpy. Are there any fixes for this?

By Veronica B.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Repairing Couch Springs

By Pattie Parker 2

By Pattier from Costa Mesa, CA

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Photo of a furniture spring isolated on white.
    Home and Garden Repair Furniture SofasAugust 4, 2013
    ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
    Repairing Lumpy Couch Cushions
    Repairing Lumpy Couch Cushions
    Man Repairing a Shoe
    Repairing Shoes
    Old leather Couch with missing button
    Repairing a Leather Couch
    Fabric Couch
    Repairing a Broken Arm on a Fabric Couch
    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 12, 2016 at 10:23:47 PM on 10.0.1.191 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesQuestions
    NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost AnswersFewest AnswersBest AnswersRelevance
    Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
    BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
    CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings