Repairing Scratches On Wood Floors

Wood flooring is generally quite durable, but it can get scratches over time. This is a guide about repairing scratches on wood floors.

May 31, 2012 Flag

Crack open a walnut and rub the nut "meat" against cracks and scratches in hardwood floors to repair them. The nut meat fills in the scratch with a color resembling the wood. Natural tannins found in nuts contain healing properties. Almonds and pecans also work if you're out of walnuts!

By attosa from Los Angeles, CA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 20, 2009 Flag

If you have hard wood floors with scratches on it I have found that using left over strong coffee with a soft rag and rubbing it into the wood helps hide the scratches.

Source: From my daughter.

By Darlene from Everton, Missouri

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Got any tips for helping wood floors with a LIGHT finish (maple)? I wouldn't do this to anybody!

May 5, 2008 Flag

My husband and I just installed Swift Lock Laminate wood floors this weekend. When he was moving our entertainment center back in he didn't pick it up off the floor and now we have a line all across the floor. It's not a scratch so much as I think he just rubbed the finish off some. He left the same mark in our kitchen laminate floors. I tried baking soda and water, but this didn't work. Any other ideas?

Rose from Ashland, KY

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My brother sells flooring to the carpeting stores, etc. Most of the flooring stores should carry a cleaner of some sort that helps. I can't get him on the phone right now, but I know he has told me about a can of something you spray on and wipe off, like a dust polish. I would call your closest carpet store. good luck!

Call the place where you bought the flooring. I am sure they can tell you how to fix the floor.

I have Dupont Laminate Flooring throughout my Condo and I love it but it is high maintainance as we all know. I recently noticed a scratch, not deep but it had marred the finish. I used scratch remover used for your car and really worked great. One problem that it also polishes and now I've got a section of flooring that has a high sheen which looks out of place with the normal sheen of flooring. I have noticed that the sheen is wearing off with time but I would appreciate any ideas about removing the high sheen look quicker . Thanks

November 11, 2004 Flag

We recently installed hardwood floors in our house and sadly have some pretty major dings and scratches on the varnish from a chair. We had a chair with metal feet with rubber ends on the feet. The metal broke through one of the rubber feet and scratched the floor. Does anyone know of a way to buff these out to make them less noticeable? We have rearranged our furniture in a way that puts them in a high traffic area, the rest of the floor looks fantastic.

Any ideas would be appreciated, Thanks.

Jimmy

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Well, it all depends on what kind of hardwood floor you have. If its the snap-in kind, you'll most likely have to replace the damaged planks. If the scratches aren't TOO deep, you may be able to lightly sand them, match the stain, and poly over it to make them less noticeable. Also, check to see if the flooring is under any kind of warranty. Check out the Minwax website, I found it very helpful when I worked on my old hardwood floors.

The type of wood is 3/4 inch solid Brazillian Cherry. It's all nailed down. The scratches are fairly deep but not so bad that I would replace the boards (they are pretty tough to cut out). I may just try to dull the scratches a bit, right now they are light scratches on dark red wood which is what makes them stand out.

Well Jimmy, if it would make the scratches blend in with the rest of the floor, maybe just match the flooring to a stain color, and try to blend them in, make them less noticeable. Hey, a few dings and scratches adds character! :-) Good luck

My cat scratched up my hardwood floors and I rent an apartment. There are about a million scratches all over every part of the floor. Is there anything I can buy to make them less noticible. It is horrible looking.

Thanks

March 6, 2011 Flag

We just had some oak hardwood floors put in. No stain, just red oak. I was moving a dresser with pads under it, but there must have been a screw stuck on the leg. I have a long deep scratch. Any thoughts on fixing it? They used a water base varnish.

By zubie from Wolfeboro, NH

Answers:

Repairing Scratches and Gouges on Hardwood Flooring

Personally, I would call the installers and ask them what to do and especially since you just had it done it will be fresh in their minds of all materials used. Perhaps I've just been lucky, but most companies will tell you how to fix things like flooring yourself without charging you for them to fix your boo boo when they've done the installation. (12/29/2010)

By Deeli

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

December 27, 2010 Flag

How can I repair hardwood floors that have a couple of scratch marks from moving furniture? My son and two friends rented a house and instead of using the protectors on the legs of couches, etc. before moving they happened to put a couple of scratches about four inches long.

They will be moving out soon and I want to repair the floor now, without doing the full sanding repair to the floor. Scratches are not deep and the floors are a light oak. I believe I heard once that shoe polish will help small areas. Any advice?

By Doris from Roanoke, VA

Answers:

Better to disguise the scratches. If it is really light wood, just try some mineral oil in the scratches to get them to blend in. Shoe polish would work if there is a very big difference in color between the scratch and the wood, even after the oil. (09/13/2010)

By pamphyila

Rub walnut meat into the scratches.
(09/16/2010)

By scar1949

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

September 13, 2010 Flag

How do you repair scratched wood floors?

By Jennifer from Creston, IA

Answers:

Have you tried Old English? Some people say using the meat from the walnut to rub into the gouges and scratches also makes it blend in with the rest of the wood. (07/30/2010)

By yoder178

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 25, 2010 Flag

I just recently moved into an older house that has some neglected, beaten up wooden floors. Some of the floor area is scratched, even gouged.

I don't want to bring in a rotary sander, but rather am looking for hints or tips that I could use for enhancing the appearance e.g., use of shellac sticks or putty for filling scratches, chemical sanding, buffing, etc. that might take longer, but be less messy and costly.
Thanks.

By Tracy

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden RepairJune 25, 2012
Repairing Scratches on Wood Furniture
Repairing Scratches on Wood Furniture
Someone mopping hardwood floors
Cleaning Hardwood Floors
Removing Red Wine Stains from Hardwood Floors, Broken glass of red wine on wood floor.
Removing Red Wine Stains from Hardwood Floors
🎉
🎄