Repairing a Gasoline Powered Leaf Blower

Category Tools
Gasoline Powered Leaf Blower
A small gas motor needs fuel, air, spark and lubricant to run properly. This is a guide about repairing a gasoline powered leaf blower.

Oil is coming out the back of my Troy Bilt gasoline blower TN4SCI. I am assuming this is user error, but I just want to make sure. My gas blower has been harder and harder to start and to keep running. It has never been maintained, so I thought that I should do this now that I am single and have a yard to keep up.

So I changed the spark plug, changed the oil, and cleaned the oil filter. But I think I didn't get all the oil out before I put the new oil in, because when I start it now, all black oil comes out the back through the filter, it is pouring out.

When I took it apart, I see that the choke button opens and closes the hole so I imagine that is where the oil is coming out. However, this was not the problem before. If I push the choke switch to the right it closes the hole and my blower stops. The sticker that tells me the position of the choke is long gone, so I don't know if wide open is position 3 or 1. However, pushed far to the left, I get an overflow of oil, and far to the right it shuts off. Where should that choke be? And is the oil coming out because I have way, way too much oil in? I am emptying it now as I write this to start again.

The photos that I attached show the blue choke button. The first photo shows the choke button to the left and that leaves it wide open. The second one closes it, and then the motor stops. Where do I need to keep it when it is running? And is the reason all the oil is coming out because I had too much in?

By Judith