Repairing a Home Air Conditioner

Man repairing an exterior home  air conditioning unit
If you have the skills or the desire to learn some new skills, you may be able to repair your own air conditioner and save some money as well. This is a guide about repairing a home air conditioner.

My AC unit compressor is not switching on. It might be failure of a capacitor or not. Any suggestions?

By Vijay from Hyderabad

A.c.'s and furnaces are not something for a person to fool with unless you are qualified. About 85% of air conditioner and furnace problems are from people not maintaining them once a year. It takes more than just changing the filter monthly to maintain these appliances. You should have both tuned up once a year. It's no different than changing the oil in your car and maintaining your vehicle. Call a professional. The average cost of maintaining these appliances is a lot less than replacing them or paying for an expensive repair. Most companies have sales in the Spring and Fall for maintenance. Check with your better business bureau and hire a reputable company to do this.

This question came to my mind after seeing my brother's air conditioning unit. From what he tells me, his son and a couple of his friends were throwing some pebbles at it. Because of that, it damaged parts of the fan and that was what got me worried. I think he would be more worried because it seems like he might either need to replace the fan or just do a new air conditioning installation because the unit is hardly working now. How much damage would a chipped fan do if it were to be ignored?