Repairing a Sisal Wrapped Cat Scratching Post

Category Cat Toys
Once an active cat has taken to a scratching post, they can tear it to shreds in a few months. Repairing it is an economical way of keeping your cat happily scratching the post instead of your furniture. This is a guide about repairing a sisal wrapped cat scratching post.

My kitties really love their sisal scratching post. They had finally shredded the the sisal in the area that they use the most. Rather than buy a new one, we decided to repair this one. I purchased a spool of 1/4 inch sisal from Lowe's.

• existing sisal covered scratching post
  • spool of sisal
  • scissors
  • hot glue gun and glue sticks

This can be done by one person, but we found that it worked much better with two. One person applied the glue and the other attached the sisal, adjusting and tightening as we went.

1. Cut the damaged sisal and remove from the post down to the intact part at the bottom.
  2. Cut off the unwound sisal.
  3. Begin running a bead of glue around the circumference of the post and wrap the sisal tightly, pressing into the glue.
  4. Ad
  5. Continue until you either reach the top, or in our case the intact sisal near the top. Cut the sisal and glue the end. We needed to insert a small length to fill a bit of a gap where we ended. Now your kitties are back in the scratching post business.

I did notice it took a day or so for them to start using the repaired post. I assume that either the glue or the sisal had an odor that needed to dissipate first.

Thanks for this great tip.... and the step by step instructions. I'm going to try it. I bought one of those cardboard scratching pads and even put a bit of catnip on it, but my kitty prefers his posts.