Browsing: Reusing Cat Litter Buckets

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Reusing Cat Litter Buckets

If you buy cat litter in the large plastic buckets, there are a lot of ways to reuse the empty buckets. This is a guide about reusing cat litter buckets.

Reusing Cat Litter Buckets
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

May 4, 2011 Flag

photo of cat litter containersMy friend hated throwing away the cat litter tubs their cat was going through, so I started using them. Last night inspiration struck, and after a thorough cleaning with vinegar, Dawn, and baking soda, I had a perfectly good, stay-fresh container for my dogs' and cat's food and treats!

I also have a couple tucked away under end tables and in kitchen cabinets to use as emergency trash cans, mop buckets, and cleaning supply storage. I spray-painted two to use in my computer room and hall bath; they hold more than you think, are stackable, and so far have been a great help to me in organizing a lot of small articles, such as tools, odds and ends, and dog toys!

By Jarron from Ocala, FL

August 31, 2010 Flag

Decorated Recycled BucketsApply decorative finishes on bucket surface using Mod Podge or similar product. I made a toys carry-all bucket for my grandson. These buckets are just the right size for small children to carry around by the handle. Use with or without the lid. There are lots of other uses too.

Approximate Time: One hour for project. Longer time depending on how many coats of finishes applied

Instructions:

Cut paper to fit around the bucket or cut as you go. If using large scrapbook paper, only the paper for the sides needs to be cut. Overlapping the paper is okay. You want to cover all the writing on the buckets. Pour a small amount of Mod Podge into a bowl or use out of the container. Apply a medium coat of Mod Podge on front of bucket evenly.

Bucket Before Decoration

Put on scrapbook paper or other paper of your choice. Make sure the paper is straight and where you want it. You will only be able to move it once or twice, as it gets tacky fast. Smooth out as much of the bubbles and wrinkles you can with your fingers before it gets tacky. The rest will flatten as it dries.

Once you have finished the first side, start on the opposite side. Do the sides of the bucket last. You might need to overlap the side paper with the front and that will be fine. Let it dry. You can then put 2-3 thin coats of Mod Podge on. I put two coats on mine. You can follow what's written on the Modge Podge container for the coats.

There is no right or wrong way to do this project. If you think it doesn't look right, wait till it dries. It does look a lot better dry than wet. Once the coats are applied, most of flaws disappear. It is very unique looking. Use with or without the lid on.

I am making one for a granddaughter next. And another to give as a gift for a little boy.

By xintexas from San Antonio, TX

May 24, 2005 Flag

The Tidy-Cat 27 lb. plastic container with the handle, when empty, and washed out, makes a really sturdy catch all for small toys to store!

June 1, 2010 Flag

This is for fellow cat owners or anyone who knows a cat owner. If you purchase kitty litter in the plastic tubs with wire handles, do not throw away the tubs - use them as flower pots.

December 26, 2010 Flag

When the large hard plastic container of Tidy Cat litter is empty, is it safe to place food or water for humans in it?

By Diane from Port Huron, MI

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

No way would I use it for food. To store non-edible items, yes, but food, no.

Most people are unaware that these bin-type containers are food safe, and have a recycling number of #5, (Polypropylene (PP) ). If you turn it over, and you see a 5 with three arrows around it, you will know.

#5 (pp) is used for Ketchup bottles, yogurt containers, margarine tubs, and medicine bottles. As far as the chemicals used to release them from the molds, only certain kinds can be used on certain numbers so #5s, Cleaned well, and sterilized, should be fine.

I had the same question, and wrote an e-mail to Purina. Their answer to me was: "We appreciate your interest in our products. Please know the fragrance used in litter can be absorbed by plastic, as such; litter containers should not be reused if the lingering odor is a concern (i.e. for food or water storage"

I was always annoyed at having to throw away these sturdy pails, because yuck! they had had cat litter in them! I wised up one day while I was shopping for Rubber Maid storage boxes. Ping! Now I use them for all sorts of storage and I use to if I have to carry things up from the basement. They are great in the garden shed. The one I buy is 35 lbs. Nearly the size of a 5 gallon pail. I was always so careful to keep my little children away from these while empty or full of the original product or reuse because of the danger of falling in drowning. My Dad was a painter and always had them around and warned me about the serious danger.

I have a new little granddaughter here with me now and I had forgotten how diligent you must be around little children.

(I do wish I could put her in one and take her home with me.) aaarrrgh( you know that I would poke holes in it for air!)

Read More Answers...

June 7, 2007 Flag

Does anybody have any ideas on what to do with the 35 lb. buckets cat litter comes in besides the obvious storage containers. I have given a lot away but hate to throw them out.

Thanks,
Audrie12 from PA

My husband is an Over-The-Road Truck Driver; he uses these buckets for his trash can in his big truck. They also make good "porta-potties" in an emergency situation! ;)

God Bless,

Sheila in Titusville, FL

I just made myself a holder for my knitting needles and yarn from one, just use fabric and sew in seams for the needles to be stored in. It's great!

I was always annoyed at having to throw away these sturdy pails, because yuck! they had had cat litter in them! I wisened up one day while I was shopping for very expensive Rubber Maid storage boxes. Ping! Now I use them for all sorts of storage and I use one if I have to carry things up from the basement. They are great in the garden shed. The one I buy is 35 lbs. Nearly the size of a 5 gallon pail.

WARNING! I was always so careful to keep my little children away from these while empty or full of the original product or reuse because of the danger of falling in drowning. My Dad was a painter and always had them around and warned me about the serious danger. His friend had a horrible tragedy involving these buckets.

I have a new little one year old granddaughter here with me now and I had forgotten how diligent you must be around little children. (I do wish I could put her in one and take her home with me.) aaarrrgh ( you know that I would poke holes in it for air!)

They had CLEAN cat litter in them.

Read More Answers...

May 19, 2014 Flag

Does anyone have any ideas of what to do with emptied plastic kitty litter containers?

By Jerry S.

I use the clumping kind of litter, and so I scoop the clumps, etc back into the empty containers, and, when full, deposit them in the trash. It was the only useful thing I could come up with, as I was overrun with them, and couldn't find anyone who needed so many buckets!

I wonder if Goodwill would take them to sale. I am sure there would be people who would like to have some.

I use mine to store plastic grocery sacks. I just fold them up nice and neat and it holds tons.

November 28, 2005 Flag

Is it safe to use the plastic kitty litter containers to store your pets food - loose. I buy 20lbs at a time and its very difficult to keep my two cats DewBugE and Little out of the bag.

Better Living Green Living ReusingOctober 28, 2012
Plastic Bucket
Reusing Plastic Buckets
Water Bottle
Using Recycled Buckets and Bottles for Irrigation
Cat in Litter Box
Cat Not Using the Litter Box
Cat exiting a litter box.
Cat Litter Mat Reviews
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 21, 2016 at 8:51:37 PM on 10.0.1.174 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.