Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Reusing Cat Litter Buckets

0 0EmailFollow
Pin It
Reusing Cat Litter Buckets

If you buy cat litter in the large plastic buckets, there are a lot of ways to reuse the empty buckets. This is a guide about reusing cat litter buckets.

Solutions: Reusing Cat Litter Buckets

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Decorated Recycled Buckets

Decorated Recycled BucketsApply decorative finishes on bucket surface using Mod Podge or similar product. I made a toys carry-all bucket for my grandson. These buckets are just the right size for small children to carry around by the handle. Use with or without the lid. There are lots of other uses too.

Approximate Time: One hour for project. Longer time depending on how many coats of finishes applied

• empty cat litter or detergent bucket
  • small 1-3 inch wide disposable brush or sponge brush
  • Mod Podge or similar product. There a several. I buy the 16 oz. one. The smaller size will do for this project.
  • paper - I use 2-3 large sheets of scrapbook paper. It comes in a variety of colors and patterns and is always on sale, but any paper will do.
  • scissors
  • wet rag to wipe hands on during project

Instructions:

Cut paper to fit around the bucket or cut as you go. If using large scrapbook paper, only the paper for the sides needs to be cut. Overlapping the paper is okay. You want to cover all the writing on the buckets. Pour a small amount of Mod Podge into a bowl or use out of the container. Apply a medium coat of Mod Podge on front of bucket evenly.

Bucket Before Decoration

Put on scrapbook paper or other paper of your choice. Make sure the paper is straight and where you want it. You will only be able to move it once or twice, as it gets tacky fast. Smooth out as much of the bubbles and wrinkles you can with your fingers before it gets tacky. The rest will flatten as it dries.

Once you have finished the first side, start on the opposite side. Do the sides of the bucket last. You might need to overlap the side paper with the front and that will be fine. Let it dry. You can then put 2-3 thin coats of Mod Podge on. I put two coats on mine. You can follow what's written on the Modge Podge container for the coats.

There is no right or wrong way to do this project. If you think it doesn't look right, wait till it dries. It does look a lot better dry than wet. Once the coats are applied, most of flaws disappear. It is very unique looking. Use with or without the lid on.

I am making one for a granddaughter next. And another to give as a gift for a little boy.

By xintexas from San Antonio, TX

Tip: Reuse Cat Litter Containers

photo of cat litter containersMy friend hated throwing away the cat litter tubs their cat was going through, so I started using them. Last night inspiration struck, and after a thorough cleaning with vinegar, Dawn, and baking soda, I had a perfectly good, stay-fresh container for my dogs' and cat's food and treats!

I also have a couple tucked away under end tables and in kitchen cabinets to use as emergency trash cans, mop buckets, and cleaning supply storage. I spray-painted two to use in my computer room and hall bath; they hold more than you think, are stackable, and so far have been a great help to me in organizing a lot of small articles, such as tools, odds and ends, and dog toys!

By Jarron from Ocala, FL

Tip: Idea For Reusing Tidy-Cat Kitty Litter Containers

The Tidy-Cat 27 lb. plastic container with the handle, when empty, and washed out, makes a really sturdy catch all for small toys to store! I've got 3 of them for the grandkids and they love them! And they are not too heavy to carry around, either.

By Las Vegas Angel

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Here are questions related to Reusing Cat Litter Buckets.

Question: Can I Reuse Cat Litter Containers for Food Storage?

When the large hard plastic container of Tidy Cat litter is empty, is it safe to place food or water for humans in it?

By Diane from Port Huron, MI

Most Recent Answer

By dbynton02/15/2013

I was always annoyed at having to throw away these sturdy pails, because yuck! they had had cat litter in them! I wised up one day while I was shopping for Rubber Maid storage boxes. Ping! Now I use them for all sorts of storage and I use to if I have to carry things up from the basement. They are great in the garden shed. The one I buy is 35 lbs. Nearly the size of a 5 gallon pail. I was always so careful to keep my little children away from these while empty or full of the original product or reuse because of the danger of falling in drowning. My Dad was a painter and always had them around and warned me about the serious danger.
I have a new little granddaughter here with me now and I had forgotten how diligent you must be around little children.
(I do wish I could put her in one and take her home with me.) aaarrrgh( you know that I would poke holes in it for air!)

Question: Uses for Cat Litter Buckets

Does anybody have any ideas on what to do with the 35 lb. buckets cat litter comes in besides the obvious storage containers. I have given a lot away but hate to throw them out.

Thanks,
Audrie12 from PA

Most Recent Answer

By dbynton02/15/2013

I was always annoyed at having to throw away these sturdy pails, because yuck! they had had cat litter in them! I wisened up one day while I was shopping for very expensive Rubber Maid storage boxes. Ping! Now I use them for all sorts of storage and I use one if I have to carry things up from the basement. They are great in the garden shed. The one I buy is 35 lbs. Nearly the size of a 5 gallon pail.

WARNING! I was always so careful to keep my little children away from these while empty or full of the original product or reuse because of the danger of falling in drowning. My Dad was a painter and always had them around and warned me about the serious danger. His friend had a horrible tragedy involving these buckets.

I have a new little one year old granddaughter here with me now and I had forgotten how diligent you must be around little children. (I do wish I could put her in one and take her home with me.) aaarrrgh ( you know that I would poke holes in it for air!)

Question: Storing Cat Food in Plastic Kitty Litter Containers

Is it safe to use the plastic kitty litter containers to store your pets food - loose. I buy 20lbs at a time and its very difficult to keep my two cats DewBugE and Little out of the bag. I've heard that the containers have chemicals that may be absorbed by the food that could make pets sick if used for this purpose. Anyone know about the safety concerns?

Thanks so much,
Denise from Huntington WV

Most Recent Answer

By Jarron05/06/2011

If they are #5pp then they are food safe.