Reusing Cat Litter Buckets

If you buy cat litter in the large plastic buckets, there are a lot of ways to reuse the empty buckets. This is a guide about reusing cat litter buckets.

May 4, 2011 Flag

My friend hated throwing away the cat litter tubs their cat was going through, so I started using them. Last night inspiration struck, and after a thorough cleaning with vinegar, Dawn, and baking soda, I had a perfectly good, stay-fresh container for my dogs' and cat's food and treats!

I also have a couple tucked away under end tables and in kitchen cabinets to use as emergency trash cans, mop buckets, and cleaning supply storage. I spray-painted two to use in my computer room and hall bath; they hold more than you think, are stackable, and so far have been a great help to me in organizing a lot of small articles, such as tools, odds and ends, and dog toys!

By Jarron from Ocala, FL

I absolutely positively love your assorted ideas except for use for storing pet food. Please don't store any food items, including pet food, in any container that is not a food grade container. Those containers are not made of the same materials and chemical compounds as food grade containers are made of and leach harmful chemicals into both food and water. Even only recycle #2, #4 and #5 of food grade containers are safe for food or water reuse.

I am giving you a thumbs up for all of your other wonderful ideas though. :-)

I agree they make great storage containers. I haven't done so, but they would make great little "stools" if you added foam or batting to the lid and covered it with fabric. I don't know how I'd secure the fabric to the lid: glue? I have 5 I saved when I used this type of litter, but changed to Feline Pine because it's healthier for cats.

Great ideas! I use mine as a temporary compost holder. I drilled drainage holes in it and set it outside my back door. I dump my counter-top composter into that and then once that fills up, I transfer it out to the compost heap. I also have one underneath my kitchen sink for recyclables. I also lined one with a plastic bag and use for my dog's treats...maybe I should rethink that after reading Deeli's comment!

Any ideas for disguising the surface, for 3 gallon KNOCK OUT rose bush container.

The Tidy Litter Buckets I have are #5 so are they safe for food and water storage

August 31, 2010 Flag

Apply decorative finishes on bucket surface using Mod Podge or similar product. I made a toys carry-all bucket for my grandson.

Decorated Recycled Buckets

May 24, 2005 Flag

The Tidy-Cat 27 lb. plastic container with the handle, when empty, and washed out, makes a really sturdy catch all for small toys to store!

June 1, 2010 Flag

This is for fellow cat owners or anyone who knows a cat owner. If you purchase kitty litter in the plastic tubs with wire handles, do not throw away the tubs - use them as flower pots.

November 28, 2005 Flag

Is it safe to use the plastic kitty litter containers to store your pets food - loose. I buy 20lbs at a time and its very difficult to keep my two cats DewBugE and Little out of the bag. I've heard that the containers have chemicals that may be absorbed by the food that could make pets sick if used for this purpose. Anyone know about the safety concerns?

Thanks so much,
Denise from Huntington WV

Best Answer

We have five cats and oooooodles of 35 pound litter containers. The litter is nothing more than clay and i never buy the ones with all the perfume and extras in them. I wash them out thoroughly whether using for food or otherwise. They make great portapots (you can even carve out a seat from another litter container to cover with soft foam and fabric toput on top when you use it if you need to sit down) scrubbed and painted they're stackable storage that substitutes as TV tables next to the chair when needed. Cat food storage and organizing a garage. (my spouse is a contractor who has a box truck that is a whole workshop in the back. He has work benches with shelves underneath lined with litter buckets with felt tip marker identifying what tool or supply is inside.

We use containers meant for loaves of bread; the size is easy to work with/pour from. Burping prevents the food from going stale.

If they are #5pp then they are food safe.

Somewhere, probably on the bottom, it should have the bane of the manufacturer of the bucket. Look them up on line and ask if they are safe for food storage. I put a trash bag in one and use it for potato storage. I'm Going to try the vinegar, baking soda and dawn washing method of washing them as well.

December 26, 2010 Flag

When the large hard plastic container of Tidy Cat litter is empty, is it safe to place food or water for humans in it?

By Diane from Port Huron, MI

No. Food should only be stored in food safe plastics. I am able to bring mine to recycling.

No way would I use it for food. To store non-edible items, yes, but food, no.

Most people are unaware that these bin-type containers are food safe, and have a recycling number of #5, (Polypropylene (PP) ). If you turn it over, and you see a 5 with three arrows around it, you will know.

#5 (pp) is used for Ketchup bottles, yogurt containers, margarine tubs, and medicine bottles. As far as the chemicals used to release them from the molds, only certain kinds can be used on certain numbers so #5s, Cleaned well, and sterilized, should be fine.

I had the same question, and wrote an e-mail to Purina. Their answer to me was: "We appreciate your interest in our products. Please know the fragrance used in litter can be absorbed by plastic, as such; litter containers should not be reused if the lingering odor is a concern (i.e. for food or water storage"

I was always annoyed at having to throw away these sturdy pails, because yuck! they had had cat litter in them! I wised up one day while I was shopping for Rubber Maid storage boxes. Ping! Now I use them for all sorts of storage and I use to if I have to carry things up from the basement. They are great in the garden shed. The one I buy is 35 lbs. Nearly the size of a 5 gallon pail. I was always so careful to keep my little children away from these while empty or full of the original product or reuse because of the danger of falling in drowning. My Dad was a painter and always had them around and warned me about the serious danger.

I have a new little granddaughter here with me now and I had forgotten how diligent you must be around little children.

(I do wish I could put her in one and take her home with me.) aaarrrgh( you know that I would poke holes in it for air!)

May 19, 2014 Flag

Does anyone have any ideas of what to do with emptied plastic kitty litter containers?

By Jerry S.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I use the clumping kind of litter, and so I scoop the clumps, etc back into the empty containers, and, when full, deposit them in the trash. It was the only useful thing I could come up with, as I was overrun with them, and couldn't find anyone who needed so many buckets!

I wonder if Goodwill would take them to sale. I am sure there would be people who would like to have some.

I use mine to store plastic grocery sacks. I just fold them up nice and neat and it holds tons.

Check with local elementary schools or any child nurseries in the area; they seem to always need containers for storage of toys and supplies.

June 7, 2007 Flag

Does anybody have any ideas on what to do with the 35 lb. buckets cat litter comes in besides the obvious storage containers. I have given a lot away but hate to throw them out.

Better Living Green Living ReusingOctober 28, 2012
Plastic Bucket
Reusing Plastic Buckets
Water Bottle
Using Recycled Buckets and Bottles for Irrigation
Cat in Litter Box
Cat Not Using the Litter Box
Cat exiting a litter box.
Cat Litter Mat Reviews
🎉
🎄