Reusing Gallon-Size Glass Jars

We have a sandwich shop and end up with empty glass gallon jars from the pickles. Any suggestion for a craft or other uses?

By C Hop from Winter Haven, FL

Answers:

Reusing Gallon-size Glass Jars

Using them for canisters is the obvious 1 ; people are always asking for them on freecycle and Craig's list, I just gave a lady 4 for her to make an herbal tea. You can turn them into aquariums or terrariums frost the outside and put Christmas lights on the inside put creepy-crawlies things in them for Halloween decorations you can ask your customers if they give you an idea you give them a jar, in fact I have 1 in my garage and I put my chicken feathers in. (06/15/2009)

By BABBIE

Reusing Gallon-Size Glass Jars

They can be made into lamps. Drill a small hole in the bottom for the cord, u can purchase a special lamp head and wiring. After wiring and before putting the top on, fill the jar with something cool, like shells, marbles etc. Easy to decoupage on too. If u do it on the outside, the inside could still be used. Use a single printed layer from pretty napkins for a semi-transparent look. (06/18/2009)

By thriftmeg

Reusing Gallon-Size Glass Jars

My sister used to take them and make a covering of your choice that was open at top and bottom. She put elastic around top and bottom with the closure much tighter on the bottom. The elastic at the top fits around the neck of the jar. Mine she made me has the following: White eyelet fabric trimmed at the top with white lace with white grosgrain ribbon tied around the neck and decorated with white tiny roses and white pearls. Inside you put a toilet brush for your bathroom. Makes a beautiful holder. (06/18/2009)

By angel3210

Reusing Gallon-Size Glass Jars

Another thing I saw besides the toilet brush jars that my sister made me was one for a bank. I bought this one in Northern Arkansas. The whole thing was painted in this case royal blue. Then a cute horse say from a coloring book or craft book was painted on the front. It said, "Horsing Around Fund". And the lid had an opening put in it for money. My little brother-in-law who is handicapped just adores horses. He loved the bank to add to his horse and bank collection. (06/18/2009)

By angel3210

Reusing Gallon-Size Glass Jars

My first thought was to use them as a cloche'. I root some plants and use cloche's to act as a greenhouse. Love the other ideas too. (06/18/2009)

By suem1009

Reusing Gallon-Size Glass Jars

Why not make pickled eggs in them and sell them too. (06/18/2009)

By busdrivr

Reusing Gallon-Size Glass Jars

Using glass paint, you can paint them to look like pumpkins. The lid you just paint green. You can add green foam leaves glued on the top, if you wish. Then, you can use them to hold your Trick or Treat candy. (06/18/2009)

By Artlady

Reusing Gallon-Size Glass Jars

Make an appropriate sized slit in the jar lid, choose a local human or animal shelter/food bank or any local cause you choose. Make/attach donation details on the jar and place it on your checkout counter ... Make a few and share them with fellow local businesses ... The recipients will greatly appreciate donations and you'll feel good for the effort :-) Even if the amount collected doesn't seem like much, every little bit helps :-) (06/18/2009)

By Deeli

Reusing Gallon-Size Glass Jars

They are great for making sun tea in.

You could donate them--preschools and art teachers would love them.

You could sell them in your shop for $1 each

Sell them at Christmas full of cookies made in your shop (06/18/2009)

By mom-from-missouri

Reusing Gallon-Size Glass Jars

If you have a bulk-food store or a health food (with bulk food) store they might like them to sell for customer storage of bulk food. Maybe you could trade jars for some of their products that you could use at your store. (06/18/2009)

By tennesue

Reusing Gallon-Size Glass Jars

You could take a large, thick pillar candle in the center of the jar bottom and then put small rocks or glass pebbles around the candle to stabilize the candle. Put them outside use as luminaries. I guess you could use them for decoration inside as well, on the counter top or tables?

We did this down the walkway in front of the house one year at Christmas time and it was really pretty! I got the candles at the dollar store and I used all white candles.

You could use other colors at Christmas (red, gold, green, etc.) or switch them out depending on the holiday. Red for Valentines, green for St. Patrick's, pastel for Easter, etc. You could use more than one color candles: red and green for Christmas or red, white and blue for the 4th of July!

Hope that you get lots of neat ideas! Elizabeth Jane (06/24/2009)

By Elizabeth Jane

Reusing Gallon-Size Glass Jars

I use mine for vases, I use rub on decals-usually words,to decorate outside,and colored rocks on inside, my flowers last so long in the jar w/ the rocks. you can etch them, p sponge paint them. (I sponge vodka, wine,etc bottles for vases) (07/04/2009)

By moonseekerjade

Reusing Glass Jars, Glass Jar on White Background
Reusing Glass Jars
Pickle Jar Candy Jars
Reusing Pickle Jars
Star shaped glass candle holder.
Cleaning Candle Wax from Glass
Glass Jar
Using Glass Jars for Decoration
Removing Odors from Glass Jars
Removing Odors from Glass Jars
🎉
🎄