Reusing Mylar Balloons

Mylar balloons are expensive; so don't throw them out. You can use them again. Here's what I do when a Mylar balloon gets tired. I use a plastic drinking straw with one end trimmed into the shape of a fountain pen nib to help me let every bit of air escape. I insert it into the balloon through the base and up through the rubber gasket. Then I press out as much air as possible, remove the straw, and fold and store the balloon. My local grocery store will refill used balloons with helium for a quarter. Sometimes I inflate them like ordinary balloons, and other times I use them just partially filled as packing material when mailing boxes. They easily fill empty space in a box. No more Styrofoam peanuts!

By Kathy

Answers:

Reusing Mylar Balloons

Another use for these beauties is to use them as wrapping paper! Be careful to slice the bottom of the balloon and insert gift with tissue wrapped around it. It makes a beautiful one of a kind wrapping, and you were able to use it two times. Plus it's free wrapping. (02/05/2005)

By casaroble

Refill Mylar Balloons

Save your old mylar balloon and have the florist reinflate it for about .75 cents.

By Dede (05/20/2005)

By ThriftyFun

Reusing Mylar Balloons

Refilling the Mylar balloons does not always work! If you are refilling it, is probably because it leaked in the first place.

Been there done that! (05/20/2005)

By Syd

Reusing Mylar Balloons

Here are the proper instructions for reusing a balloon.

Use a medium width drinking straw and insert it into the self sealing valve of the balloon. Once you get to the end of the sealing valve you will here a puff of air escape. Then slowly push the air out of the balloon. Before refilling a foil helium balloon you should remove all the helium from the balloon. The old helium inside will interfere with float times of the balloon.

One important note is to not use something like a pen or anything else hard to remove the helium. That risks stretching the balloons self sealing valve and therefore damaging the self sealing valve. You should be able to get many uses out of a mylar balloon if you following the proper instructions.
(11/29/2008)

Photo of three star shaped mylar balloons.
Reusing Mylar Balloons
ballon barrette
Making a Balloon Bouquet Barrette
Multi Colored Balloons
Saving Money on Balloons
Balloon Bean Bags
Making Balloon Bean Bags
Party Balloon Ideas
Party Balloon Ideas
🎉
🎄