Crafts For KidsCrafts

Rice Filled Paper Heart Shakers

There are so many activities that can kids can do for Valentine's Day. I used songs and different instruments in the classroom to help kids learn everything from routines and rules to how to spell their names. I also tried to let them create an instrument for different holidays and themes. For Valentine's Day we made the heart shaker. It is very simple to make and produces just the right amount of noise to satisfy kids and not be overwhelming to adults! I used rice to fill mine, but you could also use macaroni, beans, unpopped popcorn, and many more items!

Total Time: 10 minutes

Yield: 2

1. For each shaker, cut out 2 hearts of the same size from the white card stock.
  2. Decorate one side of each heart with markers. The colored portions will be the outside of the shakers.
  3. Glue the edges of the plain sides together, leaving the top part open. Add the rice in the unglued section. You don't want to add too much rice because the shakers will be too packed to make noise. My large heart is approximately 4x5 inches and I added about 1/8 of a cup. My small heart is 2x3 inches and I only added a pinch of rice.
  4. Ad
  5. After you add the rice, glue the open section shut. Now shake away and enjoy!