Roasting Vegetables

Category Vegetables
Oven roasted vegetables in a blow.
Roasted vegetables are delicious and very easy to make. This is a guide about roasting vegetables.

Recipes

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these recipes. If you have made this recipe please submit a photo and let us know how it worked. Or, add your own recipe variation.

I am trying to increase the amount of veggies that I include in my diet. I picked up some produce at the market and added some things I had at home to make this delicious roasted vegetable medley.

Total Time: 1 hour including prep time

Yield: 6-8 servings

• 1 medium red bell pepper
  • 2 medium red or white potatoes
  • 1 small eggplant, approximately 1 lb.
  • 1/2-3 3/4 lb brussel sprouts
  • 2 small yellow onions
  • 2 small yellow crookneck squash, approximately 1/2 lb.
  • olive oil
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • balsamic vinegar, optional
  • grated Parmesan cheese, optional

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
  2. Ad
  3. Wash all of the veggies.
  4. Slice the eggplant into 3/4 inch slices and then into cubes approximately 1 inch square.
  5. Cut bell pepper in half, remove seeds. Cut into 1 inch slices, then into squares.
  6. Slice unpeeled potatoes, and cut into cubes of a similar size.
  7. Remove stump from sprouts and any blemished outer leaves, then cut in half or quarters if noticeably larger.
  8. Peel and cut onions to similar size, separate layers.
  9. Slice and half or quarter squash.
  10. Combine all vegetables in a large mixing bowl, drizzle with olive oil and mix to coat.
  11. Place veggies into oven proof baking dish and bake for 30-45 minutes, or until fork tender. Add salt and pepper at this point, if desired. NOTE: You will want to spread the veggies out so that they cook more evenly.
  12. Stir once or twice while cooking. Check at 25-30 minutes for doneness. Continue baking as needed.
  13. Ad
  14. Serve with a sprinkle of balsamic vinegar and Parmesan cheese.

I have found that roasting vegetables is the tastiest and easiest way to serve them. Just put them in a single layer on a cookie sheet and place them under the broiler until done. Asparagus and green beans are my faves. I serve them with a sauce made of 1 Tbsp. butter melted and lightly browned on the stove, 2 Tbsp. soy sauce, and 4 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar.

By Jen

What vegetables are best for roasting? How long do you roast them?

By Carol

Answer Was this helpful? 1

I roast potatoes, carrots, and onions in a covered roasting pan, with "au jus" (thin, seasoned to taste, gravy) for about 30 minutes, or until tender. You need enough gravy to coat the veggies, but not enough to boil them... a few tablespoons will do. Stir a couple of times during cooking to "re-coat" the veggies. About 350 degrees F Uncover for the last 10 minutes to crisp the outside of the veggies.