Robin's Thrifty Tips: Weekly Grocery Deals

Thought it might be interesting to do a quick article about some weekly 'deals' in the area in which I live. I live in southeast Iowa, only about an hour from the Illinois state line. I know that grocery prices vary a lot from place to place, but I thought I would list a few items that are real deals in my area this week that I plan to take advantage of. We receive a free "Shopper" newspaper once a week, which consists of advertisements for some of the stores in our area. I like to check out the ads before I go shopping so I know where I can get the best deals each time.

We have 3 places in town in which to buy groceries. They are Hy-Vee, Fareway and our Wal-Mart Supercenter. Now, while I like Wal-Mart for a lot of things, I'm not totally sold on most of their grocery prices. Hy-Vee is a very nice store, in fact it's downright beautiful in there! They carry several items that you can't get in the other two stores. However, I still prefer to stick with our Fareway store. The prices are usually quite a bit cheaper and while the store may not be anything fancy, it's easier to get around and find the things I want in it than it is in the other two stores. I'm curious as to what grocery stores are best in other areas of the country.

This week, the items that I will be taking advantage of at Fareway are fresh, boneless chicken breast (right out of the meat counter) for $1.49/lb. Also, the Fareway brand of canned vegetables are .40/can. I will also be getting some red or green seedless grapes for .98./lb. There is a store coupon for 93% lean hamburger for $2.49/lb., for a 10lb. roll which is a very good deal for our area. I will also be buying some Betty Crocker brownie mixes for 5 for $5 and Glacier Clear brand purified water is $2.88 for a 24 pack. I also have a store coupon for Gold Medal flour for .99 for a 5lb. bag.

Our Hy-Vee store is having a 3-day sale and they will be having 85% lean hamburger on sale for $1.88/lb., Sunkist navel oranges for $1.99 for a 4lb. bag, Little Debbie snacks for $1.00 a box and Hy-Vee brand potato chips for .99 a bag. They also advertised 4 roll packs of generic toilet paper and 160 ct. tissues for .77 a package as well as 6 packs of Ramen Noodles for .99 and chicken drumsticks or thighs for .88/lb. These prices are only good the 3 days. Not sure if I will take advantage of any of these deals or not, but they are pretty good anyway.

As far Wal-Mart, they don't regularly have an ad, so I have to go to the store and look, which is another reason I prefer to go to Fareway because I can see their ad before I go shopping.

So, what kind of deals do you have going on at grocery/department stores in your area this week?

About The Author: Robin lives in Washington, Iowa. She is married to her high school sweetheart, Scott. They have two daughters, Jessica and Caitlinn, both of whom are grown. The oldest, Jessica, and her husband, just had a baby, Robin's first grandchild. They also have 3 dogs who are very much part of they family, Jazmin, Shelby and Libby. Her interests are cooking, computers, volunteering at our local animal shelter, working with the elderly and also children and music. She also very involved in her church.

A paper bag full of groceries
Robin's Weekly Grocery Deals
A woman pushing a cart of presents.
Finding Black Friday Deals Online
A woman looking at her shopping list.
Organizing Your Grocery List
Discount Grocery Store
Shopping at Discount Grocery Stores
Red Robin Chili
Red Robin Copycat Chili Recipe