Rooting Plants

How you make new plants from cuttings depends on what type of plants you are starting. This guide is about rooting plants.

Filter Sort

Tip: Easy Rooting Instructions

By Sharon 6 1

Root your plants and shrubs by cutting a small piece from your plant. Take a paper napkin or paper towel and fold it to hold a handful of garden soil. Place the bottom of the plant in soil and wrap the napkin around the bottom of the plant. Tie with a rubberband to keep soil from falling out and place it in a freezer type zip lock bag. Moisten dirt, not soggy and close ziplock bag. Place in a window and forget it for about 6 weeks. Wala, you now have a plant with roots. This works very well with roses also!

By Sharon from FL

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Using Water Crystals For Rooting Plants

By gina 2 1

Has anyone ever used water crystals? Can it be used for rooting plant cuttings? I'd like to try it with rose cutting. Has anyone ever tried it, did it work?

Gina from Ozone Park, NY

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

I just this year bought the water crystals to make the neck tie-ons and bought extra to put in my veggie garden. I mixed it right in the soil, this was suggested by the company that sales it and says to water the garden normally for a about a week so the crystals will swell up. Than you can cut back on watering. I also have a some crystals in a vase and am trying to root another plant. I hope this works.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Rooting Plants

By suzi 2 2

I am putting my home place on the market. I have several plants and flowers that I would like to root. Gardenia, snowball bush, sweet shrub, Camilla's and butterfly bush. Any idea on how to do this?

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

You can go to http://www.Freeplants.com , a marvelous website by Mike McGroarty. This is all the man does is root bushes and trees. I found it the most helpful website for learning to root plants..good luck!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Archive: Use Honey as a Rooting Hormone for Cuttings

Prepare cuttings in the usual manner, however dip the ends of the cuttings in honey instead of rooting powder and you will have a high success rate. An old gardener friend has used this method for over forty years and he believes that the hormones produced by the honey promotes rapid root growth.

By Jan from Poona Queensland Australia

Feedback:

RE: Use Honey as a Rooting Hormone for Cuttings

WOW! Now this is something I really gotta try! Thank you for the info! (03/06/2008)

By Cyinda

I love my plants, so thanks for the tip! I'll definitely try that. (03/06/2008)

By JoAnnDeMom

I'm going to try that also. I NEVER have success with the rooting hormone. Thank you for a great tip. (03/06/2008)

By Jean in GA

I usually cannot find my rooting hormone, but I always have honey on hand. Thank you so much for this tip! I can't wait to try it. (03/08/2008)

By susanmajp

That is fantastic news since I always forget to buy the rooting powder and I always have honey. Thanks (03/09/2008)

By carolyn

Cheers from sunny Florida!

Honey seems to work great as a "rooting hormone" for any plants except those rooted from softwood - and even then you may have some success. I've used it on softwood cuttings of Cnidoscolus chayamansa ("Chaya") with great results. It's just that some fleshy softwoods (like African Violet, for example) can be rotted via increased bacterial activity spurred on by the honey's sugars in the soil.

The honey seems to have a bit of something resembling growth hormone already in it. As well, the viscous honey seals off the stem fibers, preventing immediate wilt from a sudden drop in vascular pressure, and also starts a bit of pinocystosis* ("cell-feeding") by giving the plant immediately available sugars. It's also nice that honey is also antibacterial, for a short while.

I just prepare the slip in my usual way, dip the end into honey poke a hole in the soil, drop the slip in and water *well*. Poking a hole first before planting is moderately important, as you will not want to disturb the honey coating.

You'll want to keep the cutting a bit on the wet side for a bit (if the plant will normally tolerate it, that is), otherwise the concentrated sugars in the honey, once absorbed, may crystallize and choke the plant cells and cause a rather mystifying, frustrating and *sudden* wilt and plant death.

All in all, I *much* prefer using honey over other commercially available preparations.

*Editor's Note: We have been informed that the correct term for the cell-feeding that is mentioned above is phagocytosis instead of pinocytosis. Here is information on both terms if you are interested:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinocytosis

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phagocytosis

(08/23/2008)

By Steve C.

This is great information. Now the only thing I'm wondering about, is will this work on vegetable cuttings? (05/27/2010)

By Zero21

Rooting Plants
Home and Garden Gardening RootingDecember 26, 2012
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
A weeping cherry tree.
Rooting Fruit Tree Cuttings
Hydrangeas Cuttings
Growing Hydrangeas From Cuttings
Poplar Tree Cutting
Starting Poplar Tree Cuttings
spider plant in flask
Rooting Plants in Water
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 12, 2016 at 11:58:40 PM on 10.0.0.57 in 891 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesSolutionsQuestionsArchives
NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost AnswersFewest AnswersBest AnswersRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings