Rose of Sharon Not Blooming

Category Plant Health
Rose of Sharon
This deciduous shrub is a beautiful addition to the home garden especially when in bloom. This guide is about a rose of Sharon not blooming.

I have 4 rose of sharons and am having trouble, the leaves are turning yellow. Everyone elses around here are blooming and mine look sick. I live in alabama, could anyone give me some help here? Thanks,

Anita

DH, who is a horticulturist (in Australia) said to check if the underside of the leaf has brown rusty spots.

It is a fungus and needs to be sprayed with a fungacide.

It still wouldn't hurt to give it a good dose of fertiliser...

He's only guessing here because Alabama is a long way from Western Australia!! lol...

Rose of Sharon is one of DH and my most favourite hibiscuses... but also very susceptible to rust... so that's why he mentioned it. Your other option is to put a leaf inside a ziplock bag and take it to your local nursery and they should be able to help. You MUST always put leaves like this in a bag so that if it does have some sort of infection... fungus or otherwise, it will not infect any other plants.

Hope this helps

p.s. not sure why sort of climate you have in Alabama, but in Western AUstrlia, it's very temperate... with summer temperatures that can reach 117-120... and only as low as 30 at night...This type of temperature can make plants susceptible to rust

Cheers

Bev

Hi Anita,

See if any of these fit.

http://members.  cus/diseases.htm

If you need more help, please let us know.

Newt

Are your plants also called altheas? Mine are and their leaves are falling rapidly. (I'm in North Florida)

That's an anual thing for my altheas. They are so big and beautiful in the summer, and for several weeks now, they are losing their leaves. I think you'll find it's Mother Nature. I've had mine for six years. Good luck!

When and how much should I cut my sprouts on the altheas?

Im in n, east ri new england and I have a rose of sharon that looks like dead wood. Are they late bloomers and when should I see some buds? Someone help I am ready to pull it up because it looks dead.

Can anyone tell me what is wrong with a rose of sharon when it won't bloom and the leaves are now turning yellow? I am in AL and everyone else's here are in full bloom.

is it a new planting? a transplant? or is it just having a nervous breakdown for no apparant reason?

honestly- they do this sometimes. my folks have 20 or so of them on their property, and in any given year, there's always one of them that's just not right...usually, they come back fine the next year, and I have yet to find a disease or infestation-related cause for them.

Hi Agc,

You might want to take a look at this site. If you need something environmentally friendly just let me know.

http://members.  cus/diseases.htm

Hope that helps,

Newt

I have a fairly mature rose of Sharon (5+years old) that has never bloomed. It produces an abundant supply of buds, but they do not flower. Any ideas why?

By Jw