Rough Collie Breed Information and Photos

Category Rough Collie
Rough Collie
A well recognized breed that is loyal, responsive and possesses both speed and agility. This page contains rough collie breed information and photos.

Breed Description: The Rough Collie is one of the most recognized dog breeds, easily distinguishable by its spectacular full coat. This breed is loyal and responsive and possesses both speed and agility. The long, tapering muzzle and small-tipped ears give this highly intelligent breed an alert expression.

Group: Herding group

Purpose of Breed: Herding sheep

Country of Origin: Great Britain.

Average Size: Dogs range from 24-26 inches and 60-75 pounds. Bitches range from 22-24 inches and 50-65 pounds

Color(s): Typically sable and white, tri-colored, blue merle, sable merle and white.

Coat Type: The Rough Collie's coat consists of a long, straight outer coat with a soft, thick, dense undercoat.

Grooming: The Rough Collies undercoat can shed a lot if kept indoors. The breed's long hair needs regular brushing to keep it clean and free of mats. This breed requires standard care for eyes, ears, pads and nails.

Exercise Needs: Collies do best in homes with fenced yards. This active breed must have daily exercise to stay mentally and physically healthy. This dog breed is not recommended for apartment life since it tends to bark.

Temperament: The Rough Collie is a very intelligent, friendly dog who makes an excellent companion-especially for children-and gets along well with other household pets. This breed's herding heritage makes it naturally suspicious of strangers and a good watchdog.

Common Ailments: Susceptible to eye problems, hip dysplasia and epilepsy.

Life Expectancy: Averages 8-12 years.

Trivia: The Collie experienced a surge of popularity in the 1860s after Queen Victoria took a fancy to them. When the movie Lassie was released in 1943, this already popular breed gained an expanded circle of admirers.

More Information: Collie Club of America, Inc.

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

Your Pet's Age
5 years old

Your Pet's Breed
Rough Collie

How and when did you get your pet?
In January 2009, my dad and I drove to Cleveland, Alabama, a little over an hour away from my home at the time, to pick up my sweet Tide. He said I could pick out a puppy, and sure enough, I found my dream dog in a litter of puppies.

What does your pet like to do for fun?
Tide enjoys doing his own thing; lying in the flowerbed in front of the house to stay out of the heat, running around chasing bees and flies in the air. He loves to greet me in my car door when I get home and he loves when I jump around with him and throw the tennis ball. Often times, he loves for me to hit the tennis ball, with my old softball bat, across my backyard.

Do you have anything else to share about your pet?
I watched the movies and shows of the famous dog "Lassie" and fell in love with her loyalty and beauty. I always wanted one and found one of my own. He also knows how to understand commands through verbal communication and hand signals.
Tide is, and forever will be, my best buddy.

Comment Like this photo? 13

Cochise (Coach) is a 2 1/2 year old Collie. I rescued him in 2009 from a home that could not keep him. He was actually too gentle for the other two big dogs that lived with him.

He likes to run, run, run, watch over my young nieces and nephews and guard my backyard, looking like a big, beautiful lion.

In this picture, he is running at my urging. I yell, "run, Coach, run" and he takes off. He is a big doofus, but is so loving. He wants to play with all children he sees and believes he should be able to chase all little dogs, since he does that with my sister's Bijon Frise all the time.

He also thinks he is a lap dog and wants to climb in my lap with my other (little) dog. He sits with his nose next to me when we ride in my truck. He is the best!

By Pc

Collie running.

Comment Like this photo? 27

Shelby is our 2 year old Collie. I got him for Christmas this year from my husband. We lost our female collie a few months before and my heart was broken so my husband found Shelby for me in Illinois. He's wonderful!

He loves to run in the yard and play with Jazmin, our older Golden Retriever mix and chew on rawhide! Most of all, he loves to snuggle with me! Such a sweetheart and SO beautiful! A very good boy!

By Robin from Washington, IA

Shelby (Collie) and Jazmin (Golden Retriever)

Closeup of Collie.

Comment Like this photo? Yes