Border Collie Breed Information and Photos

Category Border Collie
The Border Collie is a medium sized, athletic dog bred to herd and control livestock, particularly sheep. This is a guide about Border Collie breed information and photos.

Breed Description: The Border Collie is a graceful, medium sized dog with a tapered muzzle, semi-upright ears and broad, muscular hindquarters. This breed is well-known for its ability to herd sheep and control livestock with its intense gaze (also known as "eye") and stalking-like movements.

Group: Herding Group

Purpose of Breed: Herding Sheep

Country of Origin: Great Britain (developed on the border between Scotland and England)

Average Size: Bitches average 18-21 inches and 27-42 lbs.; dogs average 19-22 inches and 30-45 lbs.

Color(s): The Border Collie can be black and white, tri-colored, red and white, black and gray, or all black.

Coat Type: There are two types of coats, one with sleek, moderately long hair and the other with coarse hair.

Grooming: This breed's coat is easy to maintain and requires standard care for eyes, ears, pads, and nails.

Exercise Needs: The Border Collie needs a substantial amount of physical exercise and mental activities to stay healthy. A fenced yard, although important for safety, will not suffice. Not suited for a confined living space, they can turn to destructive behavior if confined for long periods. The Border Collie is happiest on farms or ranches where it is allowed to demonstrate its ability to herd.

Temperament: Border collies are highly intelligent, sensitive and responsive. They can also be moody, strong-willed, and territorial. They have a strong desire to please their owners and are considered workaholics. Highly affectionate toward family members, they are somewhat reserved around strangers. The strong herding instincts of this breed can cause problems like chasing cars and "nipping" children into behaving.

Common Ailments: Susceptible to progressive retinal atrophy, ceriod lipofuscinosis (storage disease), hip dysplasia, seizures, and joint problems.

Life Expectancy: 12-15 years.

Trivia: The word "Collie" is a Scottish dialect word used to describe sheepdogs, including collies. The sheep herding dogs featured in the children's movie, "Babe," were Border Collies.

More Information: Border Collie Society of America, www.bordercolliesociety.com

What kind of dog do I have? I don't know what breed she is or how old she is either. Could you help me?

Answers

Usually a vet can tell by the teeth approximately how old a dog is and or if they have a scar or mark if it has been spayed. She kinda looks like she is a terrier mix of some sort. ??

Looks to me like she is part Border Collie as they have that coloring. Also she looks about the right size for one.....How much does she weigh? They are usually about 30-45 pounds.

Hi..It looks like part border collie and from looking at the head, maybe part lab. If you check between the toes and it is webbed, it's part lab.
Cute dog!

Definitely Border Collie. Our friends had a dog that looked just like her. Lots of people think Border Collies have to have long hair, but they don't. Definitely a Border Collie!

I'd guess part border collie, part lab too. I also have a dog whose birthday is a mystery. We decided on the month of May. If dogs could talk.

Looks like a border collie cross to me. Nice looking dog!

I think she looks part Pit Bull. I would definitely take her to the vet; they can tell you species AND age.

God Bless,
Sheila in Titusville, FL

Can anyone tell me what my dog is???
she is 4 months old and 10 inches high
I am told she is a rat russell or a rat jack I havent heard of this before but have seen some pic's on the web that look very like my pup.....any ideas???

She looks like Bijou, my pretty boy. He is Pit Bull and Boston Terrier. She's beautiful. (Bijiou)

Looks to me like border collie and rottweiler or dalmation and rottweiler or border collie and pit bull.

Obvious border collie! I don't see ears clearly in the picture. If they stick right up and point without surgery, she could be part Australian Cattle Dog (blue or red 'heeler'). Also, you didn't say how tall.
Seems like you could do a Net search to find out how to read your dog's teeth for age yourself?

I think its a border collie mix boxer!

If you must know 100%, get a DNA kit from a Pet-Shop. That was how I discovered Oreo was BC/Rotty.

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

Nikko is 2 years old and a Border Collie. He was a Christmas gift from my daughter and her fiancee.

He loves to chase the duck on the pond. (He can never catch them). He loves people and loves to play

By Nancy from Cardwell, Montana

Nikko (Border Collie)

Comment Like this photo? 5

Willy is six years old. He is a Border Collie hound dog. I got him at four months of age. Willy and his siblings were in a little red wagon at the Whitesboro, TX Peanut Festival. There were about 9 pups. Their mom was too old to continue nursing them, and was becoming ill, so the family needed to find homes for them before six weeks.

Willy catches tennis balls, frisbees, and other items that are thrown for him, and considers that his favorite pastime. He also has a job: keeping the squirrels up in the trees. There are about 100 trees around here.

Willy, in this picture, has just sniffed a bush where a bobcat marked the night before. This location is on the edge of the property. All the dogs protect the perimeter, day and night. We have a camera we move about that lets us know what animals are lurking in the night.

By Caron Y.

Willy (Border Collie)

Comment Like this photo? 7

JJ is 10 years old. He is a Border Collie. I got him from someone with small children who couldn't manage babies and puppies at the same time.

JJ likes walk and sleep. He is very obedient, I can take him for walks without a lead. He always lays down flat when he hears a car coming, before I hear it myself.

By Jacque from Crediton, Devon, UK

Comment Like this photo? 7

Your Pet's Age
12

Your Pet's Breed
Border Collie

How and when did you get your pet?
Sissy was adopted into the family almost 12 years ago.

What does your pet like to do for fun?
Sissy is a retired working ranch dog. She has hung up her boots from herding cows, and likes to spend her free time outside roaming the meadow and playing with her soccer ball.

Comment Like this photo? 8

Poppy is our 5 year old Border Collie. We got Poppy on September 12th 2009 from Dogs Trust Rescue Centre. Poppy likes to chew on her rope toys and Kongs, and run sniffing everything out on walks. Poppy is a very vocal girl who seems to talk back to you when you say something!

By Clare

Comment Like this photo? 8

Our beloved Border Collie, "Heidi" was one of the most gentle and loveable souls I have ever encountered. She has passed on, peacefully from old age.

I found her at the local supermarket, starving, ignored and abused (kicked and hit with rocks) by some local residents and their children.

Heidi loved to take quick dips in a nearby pond. She smiled, always, and loved to nurture other strays we took in, be it cat, kitten, dog, puppy, even injured birds my children took home to me.

Heidi, I believe was the re-incarnated soul of my be-lated daughter who died 19 1/2 years ago after being born 4 months early, weighing only 1 pound. She soon passed away, at 7 and 1/2 months of age. Yet years later after much grieving, Heidi came into our lives and we were awed by her presense, to say the least.

By Ursula from Navajo Reservation, Az.

Heidi (Border Collie)Heidi (Border Collie)

Comment Like this photo? Yes

We had just lost our beloved Border Collie, Petunia. Our house seemed so empty without her, we couldn't stand it any longer and drove all day to a goat farm to get Baa-boo. Dolly her buddy, came from a horse ranch and was the last puppy from the litter.

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 6

Sally is 10 months old and is a Border Collie. We found her on the street running through traffic. . .

Comment Like this photo? Yes

Romeo is a 1 year old Border collie. He is a good friend. He likes to ride in the truck and on our tractor. He loves chasing squirrels and rabbits!

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 4

Annie is 6 years old. She is a Border Collie. We have her Momma, Maggie. She got married (an arranged marriage) and now I have Annie, or she has me.

Comment Like this photo? 4

I received Gunner when he was 9 weeks old from my cousin's farm on Martin Luther King Jr.'s Day (1-21-13).

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 3