Border Collie Breed Information and Photos

Category Border Collie
The Border Collie is a medium sized, athletic dog bred to herd and control livestock, particularly sheep. This is a page about Border Collie breed information and photos.

Breed Description: The Border Collie is a graceful, medium sized dog with a tapered muzzle, semi-upright ears and broad, muscular hindquarters. This breed is well-known for its ability to herd sheep and control livestock with its intense gaze (also known as "eye") and stalking-like movements.

Group: Herding Group

Purpose of Breed: Herding Sheep

Country of Origin: Great Britain (developed on the border between Scotland and England)

Average Size: Bitches average 18-21 inches and 27-42 lbs.; dogs average 19-22 inches and 30-45 lbs.

Color(s): The Border Collie can be black and white, tri-colored, red and white, black and gray, or all black.

Coat Type: There are two types of coats, one with sleek, moderately long hair and the other with coarse hair.

Grooming: This breed's coat is easy to maintain and requires standard care for eyes, ears, pads, and nails.

Exercise Needs: The Border Collie needs a substantial amount of physical exercise and mental activities to stay healthy. A fenced yard, although important for safety, will not suffice. Not suited for a confined living space, they can turn to destructive behavior if confined for long periods. The Border Collie is happiest on farms or ranches where it is allowed to demonstrate its ability to herd.

Temperament: Border collies are highly intelligent, sensitive and responsive. They can also be moody, strong-willed, and territorial. They have a strong desire to please their owners and are considered workaholics. Highly affectionate toward family members, they are somewhat reserved around strangers. The strong herding instincts of this breed can cause problems like chasing cars and "nipping" children into behaving.

Common Ailments: Susceptible to progressive retinal atrophy, ceriod lipofuscinosis (storage disease), hip dysplasia, seizures, and joint problems.

Life Expectancy: 12-15 years.

Trivia: The word "Collie" is a Scottish dialect word used to describe sheepdogs, including collies. The sheep herding dogs featured in the children's movie, "Babe," were Border Collies.

More Information: Border Collie Society of America, www.bordercolliesociety.com

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

What kind of dog do I have? I don't know what breed she is or how old she is either. Could you help me?

Answers

By (Guest Post)

Usually a vet can tell by the teeth approximately how old a dog is and or if they have a scar or mark if it has been spayed. She kinda looks like she is a terrier mix of some sort. ??

By jan (Guest Post)

Looks to me like she is part Border Collie as they have that coloring. Also she looks about the right size for one.....How much does she weigh? They are usually about 30-45 pounds.

Hi..It looks like part border collie and from looking at the head, maybe part lab. If you check between the toes and it is webbed, it's part lab.

Cute dog!

By Robin (Guest Post)

Definitely Border Collie. Our friends had a dog that looked just like her. Lots of people think Border Collies have to have long hair, but they don't. Definitely a Border Collie!

I'd guess part border collie, part lab too. I also have a dog whose birthday is a mystery. We decided on the month of May. If dogs could talk.

By Cheryl (Guest Post)

Looks like a border collie cross to me. Nice looking dog!

I think she looks part Pit Bull. I would definitely take her to the vet; they can tell you species AND age.

God Bless,
Sheila in Titusville, FL

By gypsey (Guest Post)

Can anyone tell me what my dog is???
she is 4 months old and 10 inches high
I am told she is a rat russell or a rat jack I havent heard of this before but have seen some pic's on the web that look very like my pup.....any ideas???

She looks like Bijou, my pretty boy. He is Pit Bull and Boston Terrier. She's beautiful. (Bijiou)

Looks to me like border collie and rottweiler or dalmation and rottweiler or border collie and pit bull.

By Kim Ch (Guest Post)

Obvious border collie! I don't see ears clearly in the picture. If they stick right up and point without surgery, she could be part Australian Cattle Dog (blue or red 'heeler'). Also, you didn't say how tall.

Seems like you could do a Net search to find out how to read your dog's teeth for age yourself?

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this page.

Wishbone will be 5 months old on April 16. Wishbone is a Border Collie I adopted on Feb 16, 2010 from the Humane Society of Kent County (Michigan).

What doesn't he like to do? As noted at the Humane Society, he was labeled "class clown." He has proven himself to be just that. He does funny and unexpected things. He loves to retrieve a stick, or any toy that is available. He loves my grandchildren and the neighbor kids. He loves to go in the car and sit on one of my grandkids safety seats. He is so much fun and he's learning tricks. Wishbone is very special! He was meant to be with me.

On Jan 2, 2010, I had to have my Cocker Spaniel, Cinder, euthanized. She was old and not doing well physically. It was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. She was by my side for many years. I still miss her! I was encouraged to "just look" to see what was available at the shelter.

Wishbone wasn't there that day but I did go back and when our eyes met, I knew he was the one. He has given me so much love and companionship. I'm glad we have each other.

By Judy from Grand Rapids, MI

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 17

Dash is 2 years old and a Border Collie. We adopted Dash 2 weeks ago with Ruby the Australian Sheppard. Dash loves to fetch tennis balls, he's really good at catching them on a bounce. He was dropping them at our feet the first day we had him! We hope to get Dash into flyball, he'd be the champ for sure!

Dash was found wandering the highway alone. He's such a good boy that we couldn't believe he was a stray. He learns new things very fast and likes us to work with him. He's a fun, active dog and thinks he is a bit of a lap dog, even at 50 pounds :)

By Shelli from Onalaska, WI

A border collie on the grass.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 7

Rusty is our 5 year old Border Collie. We got him from a breeder in Wilberforce, Sydney. He was the second to last one of the litter and the cutest! He likes to take walks, chase Frisbees, chase balls, and loves getting pats!

Comment Like this photo? 13

Nikko is 2 years old and a Border Collie. He was a Christmas gift from my daughter and her fiancee.

Nikko (Border Collie)

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 5

Willy is six years old. He is a Border Collie hound dog. I got him at four months of age. Willy and his siblings were in a little red wagon at the Whitesboro, TX Peanut Festival. There were about 9 pups.

Willy (Border Collie)

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 7

JJ is 10 years old. He is a Border Collie. I got him from someone with small children who couldn't manage babies and puppies at the same time.

Comment Like this photo? 7

This is Buddy and Duchess. Buddy was 12 and Duchess was 6 in the photo. Buddy was a Queensland Heeler mix and Duchess is a Border Collie.

Buddy (Queensland Heeler) and Duchess (Border Collie)

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 12

Sissy is a retired working ranch dog. She has hung up her boots from herding cows, and likes to spend her free time outside roaming the meadow and playing with her soccer ball.

A black and white border collie on a snowy background.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 8

Ruby is a 7 month old Border Collie. We received our little bundle of joy, when she was 8 weeks old. She came from AlderView Dairy Farm in Vancouver, B.C. Canada. Her favorite time is going to the local area dam, where she can run free.

Dog lying on her back on the couch.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 8
Load More

Pets Dogs Dog Breeds Border CollieMay 31, 2013
📓
😷
🌻
😎
🐛
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Border-Collie-Breed-Information-and-Photos.html