Save The Rind From Fruit

Save the rind - don't discard the rind of lemon, grapefruit or oranges. It makes excellent flavorings for cakes, frostings and such. Wash it well and grate, being careful not to include the bitter white part (called pith) under the rind. Put it in a tightly covered glass jar and store in the refrigerator.

Leftover apple, orange, or lemon rind can be put into your tea as it's steeping to add a wonderful flavor and aroma just like the fancy gourmet tea blends.

By joesgirl

Answers:

Save The Rind From Fruit

That sounds like a great idea! Those artificial flavourings can be so "artificial". Could you give me an idea of how much you would use in some applications, like how much in tea, frostings etc? I added too much lemon rind once and wrecked it, but it was my first time and it doesn't matter what I'm making, if it's the first time, I'll wreck it! LOL! Do the rinds had wax or anything else on them at all for shipping etc.?

(01/11/2005)

By Laura.

Save The Rind From Fruit

I always put fruit rinds into the garbage disposal. It freshens as well as cleans the blades. (01/22/2005)

By Annie