Saving Money on Baking Soda

Baking soda can be used in everything from cooking to cleaning. Because of this baking soda is a staple product in most households. This is a guide about saving money on baking soda.

July 13, 2010 Flag

I buy baking soda by the bag at Costco. I have one in the laundry room but don't need it taking up space in the kitchen and each bathroom. After washing and drying the plastic containers from flavored coffee creamers, I slit the labels to remove and mark the bottles accordingly with a Sharpie. They're easy to fill with a funnel and the pour top allows me to sprinkle as needed. There's one under each sink and the big bag is convenient for refills on a shelf in the garage.

By mountainbrd from NJ

Great idea.Thanks for sharing.

I put the baking soda in clean Parmesan shake containers for the kitchen and baths and use like cleanser also.

Great idea! And I was just looking for an idea for my empty coffee creamer bottles the other day! Thanks!

I didn't know that Costco sold baking soda by the bag. This is why I will make a special trip to Costco! I use baking soda to clean my kitchen sink, to clean out plastic ware, in the laundry room, etc. Thumbs up.

Great idea! I usually use a Parmesan container but I find that the holes tend to clog. Can't wait to get a couple of empty creamers from my moms recycling bin.

God Bless.

Trish in CT

When I was a child, my parents and family used BS to clean our teeth, along with old fashioned tooth powder. I used to use baking soda till the cost shot way up. I make use of cases of white, distilled vinegar and salt. Remind me please the various uses for baking soda.

It also works great for deodorant but don't use immediately after shaving or it will burn!

May 5, 2011 Flag

I finally realized emptying a box of baking soda into an empty washed out spice container sure keeps it easier to use when needed, and keeps it fresh a lot longer.

photo of Baking Soda

July 13, 2010 Flag

Today I was out shopping and bought a 12 lb re-sealable bag of Arm and Hammer baking soda at Sam's Club. It cost $4.77. That's .40 a lb. Also Dollar Tree had the 16 oz size baking soda 2/$1.

Baking soda really is a cheap alternative to use in place of more expensive cleaners. All you'd have to do is do a search online to find out its many uses or look here at Thriftyfun since I'm sure there have been posts about baking soda before.

Baking soda really is good for more than baking! I like to use in the laundry, as a detergent booster especially with whites. I've been using it more since I've been adding it to the laundry so am glad to have found a big supply. Even though the bag reseals, I'm planning to put in a smaller more manageable container that I can keep in the cabinet above my washer.

By Debbie from IL

Answers:

Saving Money on Baking Soda

My daughter and I ran into a sale on the 12lb bags of Baking Soda at Walmart...they had them on sale 2 for $2. I bought two bags, now I wish I had bought more. When I seen them at Walmart the last shopping trip they were ONE BAG for $6! NOW I REALLY wish I had bought more!

I use it to wash my husband's work clothes in as well as many cleaning jobs around the house.
(07/20/2006)

By Michele

Saving Money on Baking Soda

My daughter has allergies and I use baking soda for all my cleaning jobs. I love the stuff and it has saved me $$$ on commercial cleaners. I also use it in the laundry, and i have sprinkled some in her closet where we had a problem with mice coming in, and have not seen a sign of a mouse in over a year. It is the most economical, useful product on the market. (07/21/2006)

By

Saving Money on Baking Soda

You're right! Baking soda works beautifully. Whoever posted the tip on cleaning your tub with it really made my day. (07/21/2006)

By coreenhart

Saving Money on Baking Soda

I use it on scrubbing my stove top a little sprinkle on my sponge and the burnt on food is gone. I also use it to clean my coffee pots hot water and a few sprinkle and let it sit and the stain just come off. I also sprinkle it smelly shoes. Let it sit over night and I just use my vacuum to remove the baking soda along with the smell. (07/22/2006)

By LJK13

Saving Money on Baking Soda

My son is 38 years old, severely disabled and incontinent. I use 1 cup of baking soda and a bit of detergent (you only need about half the detergent) to clean and sanitize his clothes, thus saving money on expensive detergents. And the clothes are softer and less full of static when dried, so I'm saving on dryer sheets. (You can also put some white vinegar in the rinse cycle to soften without sacrificing absorbancy. I use it for his clothes, sheets and towels) AND it is totally bio-degradable, non-polluting, natural.

Sprinkle some baking soda on a DRY (and I stress DRY) urine spot from Fido or Fluffy on a chair or rug and then vacuumed will remove the smell and most of the stain (try it again if not perfect). I also sprinkle baking soda on all my rugs just before vacuuming to make the house smell fresh without the "perfumed" smell the store fresheners give and a great deal cheaper. But sprinkle it just before, letting it sit for long is a bit harder to vacuum up.

I clean the stove and the sinks and the doorways where the greasy hands prints seem to end up. I buy the large box for the laundry room and the Aldi's brand small boxes for 43 cents each because the convenience outweighs hauling a large bulky box around.

I love baking soda and white vinegar for a lot of things. Many years ago when my son was very young (he was damaged by the DPT booster shot in 1973) and I could not work, I found that even though I had no money for cleaning products (even with such a need for constant cleaning), baking soda and vinegar were allowed on food stamps, I had good cleaning stuff! (12/30/2008)

By katplaysgames1

Consumer Advice Shopping Food & KitchenJuly 20, 2011
Muffin with a bite out of it.
Muffins Taste Like Baking Soda
Inflating Balloon During Balloon Experiment
Blowing up a Balloon with Baking Soda and Vinegar
Pouring Sparkling Water
Making Sparkling Water
Baking Soda
Freezing Baking Soda and Baking Powder
🎉
🎄