Saving Money on Baking Soda

Today I was out shopping and bought a 12 lb re-sealable bag of Arm and Hammer baking soda at Sam's Club. It cost $4.77. That's .40 a lb. Also Dollar Tree had the 16 oz size baking soda 2/$1.

Baking soda really is a cheap alternative to use in place of more expensive cleaners. All you'd have to do is do a search online to find out its many uses or look here at Thriftyfun since I'm sure there have been posts about baking soda before.

Baking soda really is good for more than baking! I like to use in the laundry, as a detergent booster especially with whites. I've been using it more since I've been adding it to the laundry so am glad to have found a big supply. Even though the bag reseals, I'm planning to put in a smaller more manageable container that I can keep in the cabinet above my washer.

By Debbie from IL

Saving Money on Baking Soda

My daughter and I ran into a sale on the 12lb bags of Baking Soda at Walmart...they had them on sale 2 for $2. I bought two bags, now I wish I had bought more. When I seen them at Walmart the last shopping trip they were ONE BAG for $6! NOW I REALLY wish I had bought more!

I use it to wash my husband's work clothes in as well as many cleaning jobs around the house.

By Michele

Saving Money on Baking Soda

My daughter has allergies and I use baking soda for all my cleaning jobs. I love the stuff and it has saved me $$$ on commercial cleaners. I also use it in the laundry, and i have sprinkled some in her closet where we had a problem with mice coming in, and have not seen a sign of a mouse in over a year. It is the most economical, useful product on the market. (07/21/2006)

Saving Money on Baking Soda

You're right! Baking soda works beautifully. Whoever posted the tip on cleaning your tub with it really made my day. (07/21/2006)

By coreenhart

Saving Money on Baking Soda

I use it on scrubbing my stove top a little sprinkle on my sponge and the burnt on food is gone. I also use it to clean my coffee pots hot water and a few sprinkle and let it sit and the stain just come off. I also sprinkle it smelly shoes. Let it sit over night and I just use my vacuum to remove the baking soda along with the smell. (07/22/2006)

By LJK13

Saving Money on Baking Soda

My son is 38 years old, severely disabled and incontinent. I use 1 cup of baking soda and a bit of detergent (you only need about half the detergent) to clean and sanitize his clothes, thus saving money on expensive detergents. And the clothes are softer and less full of static when dried, so I'm saving on dryer sheets. (You can also put some white vinegar in the rinse cycle to soften without sacrificing absorbancy. I use it for his clothes, sheets and towels) AND it is totally bio-degradable, non-polluting, natural.

Sprinkle some baking soda on a DRY (and I stress DRY) urine spot from Fido or Fluffy on a chair or rug and then vacuumed will remove the smell and most of the stain (try it again if not perfect). I also sprinkle baking soda on all my rugs just before vacuuming to make the house smell fresh without the "perfumed" smell the store fresheners give and a great deal cheaper. But sprinkle it just before, letting it sit for long is a bit harder to vacuum up.

I clean the stove and the sinks and the doorways where the greasy hands prints seem to end up. I buy the large box for the laundry room and the Aldi's brand small boxes for 43 cents each because the convenience outweighs hauling a large bulky box around.

I love baking soda and white vinegar for a lot of things. Many years ago when my son was very young (he was damaged by the DPT booster shot in 1973) and I could not work, I found that even though I had no money for cleaning products (even with such a need for constant cleaning), baking soda and vinegar were allowed on food stamps, I had good cleaning stuff! (12/30/2008)

By katplaysgames1

Up close photo of the front of a baking soda box
Saving Money on Baking Soda
Muffin with a bite out of it.
Muffins Taste Like Baking Soda
Inflating Balloon During Balloon Experiment
Blowing up a Balloon with Baking Soda and Vinegar
Pouring Sparkling Water
Making Sparkling Water
Baking Soda
Freezing Baking Soda and Baking Powder