Saving Money on Household Cleaners

Category Saving Money
Cleaner in a spray bottle.
Whether you make your own or use less expensive products, there are ways to reduce the cost of cleaning supplies. This guide is about saving money on household cleaners.

These are a few tips/recipes that have saved me loads of money! Three products that we use a lot of in our house are Febreze, all purpose kitchen cleaner (Fantastic, etc.) and liquid hand soap. I used to spend at least $25 a month on these. Now I spend around $3.50 a month. This is how you can do it too!

• Febreze: Using a funnel, pour 1 cup of classic Gain fabric softener into a 28 oz. spray bottle. Add water to fill the bottle near the top, shake well and use on couches, drapes, etc. It will not leave spots, dries quickly, and smells even better than the real thing!

• All Purpose Cleaner: Pour 1 cup Mr. Clean Gain scented concentrated cleaner into a 32 oz. bottle. Add water to fill the bottle near the top, shake well and use to clean counters, stove top, even bathrooms. Great degreaser, leaves fantastic smell. Any concentrated cleaner will do, I just enjoy the Gain scent.

• Liquid Hand Soap: Squeeze about 1 inch of Gain scented or any good dish soap into a 13.5 oz. (or similar sized) hand soap bottle. Add water to fill the bottle near the top, shake well and enjoy "nearly free" hand soap.

Doing these things has saved me so much money! I hope you are able to use and enjoy them yourself. :)

Source: Needing to get my "bottom line" lower.

Read 4 Comments

A 22 oz. bottle of Clorox Spray Cleaner for hard surfaces costs about $3.00 per bottle. If you check the ingredients list, it will indicate 1% sodium hypochlorite (aka bleach) and 99% H20 (aka water). Make your own and save yourself the cash when your 3 dollar bottle runs out!

By Nan from Texas

Read 3 Comments

Cleaning products: save from $25 a month to 40 cents. Grated, Ivory becomes Ivory Flakes, discontinued in 1978. I use a tablespoon in the washer. I use one bar over two weeks. Cost: 15 cents per week. I also use a wet bar to clean stains before they go in the wash. Eliminates stain pretreaters.

Want to clean counters?: Sinks? Bathtubs? Floors? Try some swished soap in very hot water. Use a scrubby pad to clean bathtubs or greasy build-up areas. Then wash down with damp cloth.

Body care: Ivory can be used for every bar soap in the house. Dilute shampoo in half. It's not the toothpaste that cleans teeth, it's the brushing. Use just a tad to freshen breath. One 6 oz. tube lasts 6 months that way.

Paper products: Don't buy them. All round the world people use cloth to clean. Use squares of flannel or old t-shirts for cloth TP. Handkerchiefs are for noses. Trees are for forests.

Savings so far: approximately $40 to a whopping $75 per month depending on how often you buy your cleaning and paper products and what brands you buy. Wouldn't you rather work one day less per month?

By Allison Dey from Tucson, AZ

Read 10 Comments

When purchasing household cleaning items, buy just a few things. In my home, bleach and vinegar works wonders. I use bleach to wash my floors, clean my sinks and bathroom, wash walls, and a number of other things.

Vinegar has great uses too. I use it in my dishwasher and while handwashing dishes. I have hard water buildup on my dishes and vinegar takes it all away. I sometimes use vinegar in the bathtub too to get rid of the buildup. I clean my coffee machine with vinegar. Why spend a lot of money on cleaning supplies when just a few will do?

Read 4 Comments

Instead of buying the pricey spray room fresheners I buy the refills for the automatic sprayers. They last nearly forever and are more economical. The same goes for the automatic shower cleaner. Just pour the refill liquid into your own spray bottle and leave the bottle in the shower. The last person using the shower will then to spray the walls and tub.

By Cookiesky from Splendora, TX

I have used US Advanage Wonder Cleaner in the past and it works like no other, but it is quite expensive and I am really into making my own products if at all possible. This product works so well however that I'm wondering if I can even duplicate it. Anybody know what is in this Wonder Cleaner?

Jen from IL

Anonymous

On Advantage 20x website you can find the Material Safety Data Sheets which list four ingredients for Advantage 20x. 1) Dipropylene Glycol Methyl Ether - I looked the chemical up on the OSHA website: industrial workers have experienced "liver changes" "Central nervous system depression - narcosis" "respiratory arrest" and other unpleasant effects after exposure. 2) Tetrasodium EDTA - On the Bubble & Bee Organic website I found the following: "Tetrasodium EDTA is a preservative made from formaldehyde and sodium cyanide. It is also a penetration enhancer, meaning it breaks down the skin's protective barrier, going right into your bloodstream." 3) Nonionic Surfactant & 4) Sodium Carbonate. If I was selling this stuff, I really, really wouldn't spray it into my mouth.

Advantage ingedients?

What can I use to clean floors, ceiling, showers, and kitchen floors?

By Andy

Anonymous

vinegar and water works well

Can't say enough for Dollar Tree stores. I went today and found all kinds of Bissell cleaning products. When a mother can stock her cleaning shelf with 11 good products for $11.00 that's a bargain! Can you imagine what that many items would have cost elsewhere? The brand names? Bissell, the Works, Dawn with bleach, not products that half do the job. Try it. You'll like saving money!

By Sharon, from KY

Read 7 Comments