Dangers of Mixing Household Cleaners

Household Cleaners
Mixing common household cleaners, particularly bleach and ammonia, can be extremely dangerous. This is a guide about dangers of mixing household cleaners.

For the fourth time in less than a year, I have responded to a med call where someone mixed household chemicals.

Never, ever, in any form or combination, mix bleach with any other chemical. Do not mix vinegar with any other chemical. Do not mix ammonia with any other chemical. This includes general cleaning, in your mop water, in the dishwasher and washing machine.

It can actually kill humans and pets.

Is it safe to use several of the great "Homemade Steam Cleaner Solutions" posted on your site? It is amazing the amount of great posts received regarding "Homemade Steam Cleaner Solution". I'm anxious to try each and everyone to see which I like best.

If I spray Hydrogen Peroxide on the spot where my dog just threw up on my carpet, is it safe to clean the whole carpet with another product like vinegar, or Oxi-clean, or LA Awesome, several hours later? Is there cause for concern of mixing products once the area dries?

These are questions I've had for years. I really don't want to "OD" my family, friends, or pets because I am ignorant as to what will mix or not mix with products used prior to my present cleaning project. Once the carpet is dry should you have concerns about products used next to clean carpets? Thanks.

By suzyspinkmoon

Anonymous

The best thing to do is Google searching when there are chemicals you want to mix. Just Google in something like "Is it safe to mix hydrogen peroxide and vinegar" or "Is it safe to mix ammonia and bleach". For each question dozens (if not hundreds) of helpful links will show up and you can easily read through a few to determine what, when, why and how :-)