Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Saving Money on Medicine

0 0EmailFollow
Saving Money on Medicine

You want to make sure you are using the right medication, but there are ways to reduce the cost. This guide is about saving money on medicine.

Solutions: Saving Money on Medicine

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Purchase Generic Over the Counter Medications

I work for a factory that packages medications. My specific line is Loratadine, which is the exact composition as Claritin. There really is no difference between the Claritin, Wal-Mart's Equate version, Target's Up and Up version, or CVS's Allergy Relief version. Literally, when we finish one order, we scrub the entire line, disinfect EVERYTHING with a strong alcohol solution, and we use the same pills in different packaging.

So get generic whenever possible. It will really save on medication costs and there is no difference.

By JSRP from NE

Article: Saving Money on Cold Medicine

Saving Money on MedicineTips for Saving Money on Cold and Cough Medicine as suggested by the ThriftyFun community.

Use a Saline Solution

Rinsing your sinuses with a saline solution (salt and water) is a frugal cold solution. Find directions by typing in Neti pot on Google.

By Kladybug

Cold Medicine Doesn't Work

There's been studies done that cold medicine doesn't even work - so the above post is a good one - I personally think.

By Mariebal

Don't Take More Than You Need

Save money, and be good to your body by only using what you need. Most cold medicines contain: an ingredient for the pain and fever, a decongestant, an antihistamine, and often an expectorant and/or a cough suppressant. Whew, that's a lot of drugs if all you have are the sniffles! Tackle the symptoms you have with medications you know work for you.

Also bear in mind, that fever and coughing serve a purpose, you don't necessarily want to suppress them unless the fever is over 100 (degrees F) or the coughing is painful or keeping you up at night. Ask your doctor if you're unsure.

For pain and fever: you probably already have aspirin, acetominophen (Tylenol), ibuprofen (Advil), or naproxen sodium (Aleve) already.

Look for single-ingredient (generic) medications for the antihistamine, decongestant, expectorant, and cough suppressant. If you need help, the pharmacist can easily help you find the best choice for you. And don't forget to read the precautions on the backs of the boxes! Medications can affect blood pressure, and other medications you take. Again, ask the pharmacist if you have question. They don't only deal in prescription medications.

Definitely look into a neti pot! If bending over the sink doesn't work for you; you can use the same salt water solution in a bulb aspirator (like those used to suction baby's nose).

And remember that nothing will cure the cold, or the flu, except time. But you can get relief from some of the most troublesome symptoms.

Don't forget your flu shot, either! The cost of it is worth it!

By Jilson

Dealing With a Cold

A cold is 3 days coming, 3 days with you and 3 days leaving and there's not much you can do to change that.

My daddy's remedy was 1/2 cup lemon juice with 3 tsp. sugar and a cup of hot water. Drink hot lemonade to soothe your throat. I have knocked out a cold with this when I first felt the scratchy throat.

Recently, I purchased a nasal rinse kit by Ayr from our local drug store. It has cleared up a sinus infection that I have been battling with for over a year. This kit is great and I highly recommend it for a daily sinus wash whether you need it or not.

Build Up Your Immune System

Eat right and build your immune system so you don't get sick. Medicines don't "heal" colds they just cover up the symptoms. Those symptoms are your body trying to rid itself of the problem, so it doesn't really make sense to try to stop that. Just rest and eat light and healthy and take echinacea to build up your immune system.

By Erica

Make Your Own Cold Medicine

I used to make up my own cold medicine for the children when they got colds and sore throats. It consisted of just white vinegar, honey and hot water. A little white vinegar in the bottom of a cup, enough honey to sweeten, then fill with hot water and sip. It has a pleasant taste, and my children all took it without a qualm. In fact, one of my sons, now an adult with children of his own rang me from interstate to ask for the recipe for my homemade cough brew, as he had a cold, and remembered it helping when he was small.

By Ellie

If you have any advice to share? Feel free to post it below.

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!