Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Saving Money on Pet Medications

0 0EmailFollow
Pin It
Saving Money on Pet Medications

There are ways to save on on your pet's need for medication. This guide is about saving money on pet medications.

Solutions: Saving Money on Pet Medications

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Link: Petshed.com For Pet Medication

I order all my Flea and Heartworm protection from www.petshed.com. They are half the price of what I used to pay at my Vet. I just placed an order for the 6 month package for dogs 45-88 pounds, and with shipping it came to $70.90. It takes about a week to arrive, but I always reorder it once I use my last application.

By CaroleeRose from Madison, AL

Tip: Keeping Gel Pills From Getting Sticky In Hot Weather

I found a simple way to keep my pills from sticking together in my weekly pill holder. I have 3 or 4 gel caps and, in this hotter weather, they stick together or to the container. I have to dig them out. I found if I just put a pinch of cornstarch in with them, they don't stick together for about a year.

By Babbie from Lemon Grove, CA

Tip: Saving Money on Pet Prescriptions

Saving Money on Pet PrescriptionsTips and advice or saving money on pet prescriptions.

Wal-Mart

For years I got my cat's thyroid medication from our vet. It seemed to go up in price every time I refilled it. We changed vets and he told me I could get it much cheaper by taking the prescription to Wal-Mart. It went from $23 to $8. This was before Wal-Mart $4.00 prescriptions. So, you may be able to get them for $4.00.

By Artlady

Farm Supply Stores

Our farm supply store sells medications. On the few times we get a prescription from the vet (usually our vet just gives us the medication) we take it to the farm supply store and get it there, no prescription is needed, so if it is something your pet will always need, you can get it refilled with no problem. It is all kept under lock and key, and they do make you sign a release that it is for an animal.

We get antibiotics, vaccinations and salves this way. However, since we are a farm family, our pets are larger animals and are harder to transport to the vet. Most country "farm" vets are very good about showing farm family how to do stitches and give injections. Nice for when a cow gets tangled in a fence at 3 a.m. or a neighbors dog chases down and hurts a chicken or bites a horse. We also keep a good stock here for emergencies, since those always happen on holidays or after hours for the vet. Nice way to avoid a $200 farm visit charge, and by having medication on hand we can either hold off to see the vet till he is open, or in some cases all together avoid the vet.

By mom-from-missouri

Shop Online

One of my colleagues just ordered from an Australian website. He is saving $100 plus on Heartgard and flea meds for his 2 dogs. The members of the bichon list have used Australian sites for years and found them to be great.

By Daiquiri

Feel free to post your ideas below.

Tip: Get Pet Meds Through Your Pharmacy

If your pet is on medication sometimes it's cheaper to get the medication through your people pharmacy. I had a dog on phenobarbital and it was loads cheaper getting it at my local pharmacy. My vet was more than happy to call the pharmacy and get it there. I saved money and he had a happy customer. Shop around and maybe you can find it cheaper than at your regular pharmacy.

By DEBRADJ from ILLINOIS

Tip: Getting Pet Meds at a Regular Pharmacy

Always ask the vet if the medication being prescribed is available at a regular drugstore. If so, have her write the Rx for you. Vets charge a lot more for medications than do cut-rate pharmacies like Walmart or Costco.

By twodogsmom from Vista, CA

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!