Get Pet Meds Through Your Pharmacy

If your pet is on medication sometimes it's cheaper to get the medication through your people pharmacy. I had a dog on phenobarbital and it was loads cheaper getting it at my local pharmacy. My vet was more than happy to call the pharmacy and get it there. I saved money and he had a happy customer. Shop around and maybe you can find it cheaper than at your regular pharmacy.

By DEBRADJ from IL

There is a federal law requiring pharmacy's to match the lowest price available on medicines. My dog requires eye drops that cost $39 at my local pharmacy in the grocery store. I ask them to check the price at Walmart or the warehouse stores and they match the price. I get them for $27. This should work for people RX as well.

The reason vets often have to charge much more is because the regular pharmacy gets a discounted price for volume. When we were in practice we often found the pharmacy charging customers LESS than we paid for the same medicine. Vets will be happy to write scrips for you to take somewhere else.

I know this is very late, but I just read the reply posted by Rick & felt I had to respond. There is NO federal law requiring pharmacies to price match. Some do, but that is entirely up to the individual pharmacy or chain.

I work in a pharmacy so I know that so far all the meds our dog has ever needed are way cheaper there than at the vet. I just gave my vet the pharmacy phone number and she calls them in for me, no problem. & yeah, there is no law requiring price matching. It's a courtesy that some pharmacies will do if they can afford it. Ours will not price match with big competitive chains like Walgreen's or Costco because we will lose money.